Vapor pressure question in chemical thermodynamics

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of vapor pressure of iso-propyl alcohol in pure liquid state at 298,15K using the equations \Delta G = \Delta H - T \cdot \Delta S and \Delta G = RT ln \frac{p}{p*}. The conversation also includes data for \Delta H_{vap} and \Delta S_{vap} and the resulting solution of p = 0,078 atm. The conversation concludes with the discovery of an error in the value for vapor entropy and the correct solution of p = 0,18 atm.
Vunde

Homework Statement

Calculate the vapor pressure of iso-propyle alcohol over iso-propyle alcohol in pure liquid state at 298,15K.

Homework Equations

A possible equation to solve this problem, I think, would be to use this formula put together by two definitions of free energy. [tex]\Delta G = \Delta H - T \cdot \Delta S[/tex] and
[tex]\Delta G = RT ln \frac{p}{p*}[/tex]

[tex]p = exp(\frac{\Delta H_{vap}-T \cdot \Delta S_{vap}}{R\cdot T})[/tex]

And for this we know the following data.
[tex]\Delta H_{vap} = 44,2 \frac{kJ}{mol}
[/tex]
[tex]\Delta S_{vap} = 127 \frac{J}{mol \cdot K}
[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

If we put in the data we get the following solution.

[tex]p = exp(\frac{44200 \frac{J}{mol}-298,15K \cdot 127 \frac{J}{mol \cdot K}}{8,315\frac{J}{mol \cdot K}\cdot 298,15K}=0,078 atm[/tex]

The unit of the vapor pressure is given in atm because you always compare a result to its predefined standard. In this case 1 atm. [tex]\frac{p}{p_{ref}}[/tex]

The result is therefore 0,078 atm, however in my solutions manual for the coursework question, the solution should be 0,18 atm. And this is my problem, I simply can't get to that solution no matter how many times I twist and turn it.

Sorry if the language is a bit off. If you don't understand my question or some of the midway solutions I come to, please do ask and I will respond as soon as possible.

Nikolaj Rahmberg

Physics news on Phys.org
My error has been found by myself.. The value I had for vapor entropy was wrong. It was really 134,04 J/mol*K..

But thanks anyway..

Glad you worked it out. Welcome to PF! :smile:

What is vapor pressure?

Vapor pressure is the pressure exerted by the gaseous form of a substance in equilibrium with its liquid or solid form at a given temperature.

How is vapor pressure related to chemical thermodynamics?

Vapor pressure is a key concept in chemical thermodynamics as it is directly related to the equilibrium between the liquid and gas phases of a substance. It is also used to calculate other important thermodynamic properties such as enthalpy and entropy.

What factors affect vapor pressure?

Vapor pressure is influenced by temperature, intermolecular forces, and the nature of the substance itself. Generally, as temperature increases, so does vapor pressure. Substances with stronger intermolecular forces will have a lower vapor pressure, while substances with weaker intermolecular forces will have a higher vapor pressure.

How is vapor pressure measured?

Vapor pressure can be measured using various techniques, such as the isothermal-isobaric method or the static method. These methods involve creating an equilibrium between the liquid and gas phases of a substance and measuring the pressure of the resulting vapor.

Why is vapor pressure important in practical applications?

Vapor pressure plays a crucial role in many practical applications, such as in the design of industrial processes, the production of pharmaceuticals, and the study of atmospheric phenomena. It also has implications in the behavior of substances under different conditions, such as the boiling point of a liquid.