Help, AS level physics for a complete beginner

In summary, the individual is having trouble with some physics concepts related to waves, specifically in calculating frequency using time and length, determining Vmax in volts, understanding time base, and working out the number of cycles on a graph. They are seeking clarification and assistance on these topics.
I'mstuck...x
hello everyone, i'd be really appreciative of some help. I'm doing as physics and have never done proper physics before therefore I'm finding it quite hard. we are doing about waves at the moment and was wondering about a couple of things:-
1st - how to calculate frequency using the time base and a length? eg:- time base 2ms/cm length 5.4 cm, what's the frequency?
2nd - if y cm is the wavelength and Y-amplitude is a x amplitude how do i work out Vmax in volts? eg:- ycm = 5.6, Y-amplidude volt/cm = 5, what is Vmax volts?
3rd - what is the time base?
4th - how to work out the number of cycles using a graph?
Thankyou guys xxx

Physics news on Phys.org
I'mstuck...x said:
hello everyone, i'd be really appreciative of some help. I'm doing as physics and have never done proper physics before therefore I'm finding it quite hard. we are doing about waves at the moment and was wondering about a couple of things:-
1st - how to calculate frequency using the time base and a length? eg:- time base 2ms/cm length 5.4 cm, what's the frequency?
2nd - if y cm is the wavelength and Y-amplitude is a x amplitude how do i work out Vmax in volts? eg:- ycm = 5.6, Y-amplidude volt/cm = 5, what is Vmax volts?
3rd - what is the time base?
4th - how to work out the number of cycles using a graph?
Thankyou guys xxx

Hello!

1. Do you know the equation of wavelength? [itex]\lambda[/itex] = [itex]\frac{v}{\nu}[/itex]. Can you work it out from here?

2. I really don't understand this one. Can you give a proper description of an exercise regarding this?

3. I'd say that time base is the total amount of time taken for an event, defined in the exercise text, to occur. However, in your first question, the time base is time over distance (judging the units you have provided) which is actually the the reciprocal of speed (magnitude of velocity), so why don't you check again if the data you provided are correct.

4. What is the graph? A sine function? What is the period of a sine function?

Not much, but I hope it helps.

First of all, don't worry if you're a complete beginner in physics. Everyone starts somewhere and with some practice and guidance, you'll be able to grasp the concepts and calculations. Let's break down your questions one by one.

1. To calculate frequency using the time base and length, you can use the formula f = 1/T, where T is the period. In this case, the period can be calculated by multiplying the time base (2ms/cm) by the length (5.4 cm). So, the period would be 2ms/cm x 5.4 cm = 10.8 ms. Then, to find the frequency, simply divide 1 by the period, which would give you 1/10.8 ms = 0.093 Hz.

2. To calculate Vmax in volts, we need to use the formula Vmax = Y-amplitude * Y cm. In this case, the Y-amplitude is given in volts/cm, so we need to convert the Y cm to cm/cm. This would give us 5.6 cm/cm. Then, we can simply multiply 5.6 cm/cm by 5 volts/cm, which gives us 28 volts.

3. The time base is the horizontal scale on a graph, usually measured in milliseconds per centimeter (ms/cm). It is used to measure the period or frequency of a wave.

4. To find the number of cycles using a graph, you need to count the number of complete waves or cycles in a given time. For example, if the time on the x-axis is 10 ms and there are 5 complete cycles in that time, then the frequency would be 5 cycles/10 ms or 0.5 Hz.

I hope this helps! Remember to practice and don't hesitate to ask for help if you're still struggling. Good luck with your AS level physics!

1. What is AS level physics?

AS level physics is a course offered at the secondary education level, typically taken by students in their first year of advanced studies. It covers fundamental principles of physics such as mechanics, electricity and magnetism, and waves.

2. Do I need any prior knowledge to study AS level physics?

No, AS level physics is designed for complete beginners and assumes no prior knowledge. However, a strong foundation in mathematics and basic scientific concepts can be helpful.

3. How is AS level physics assessed?

AS level physics is typically assessed through a combination of written exams and practical coursework. The exams may include multiple choice questions, short answer questions, and longer essay-style questions.

4. Is AS level physics a difficult subject?

Like any subject, the level of difficulty will depend on the individual student. However, AS level physics can be challenging for some students due to its use of mathematical concepts and abstract theories.

5. What can I do with an AS level physics qualification?

An AS level physics qualification can open up a variety of opportunities, including further study in physics or related fields at the university level. It can also provide a strong foundation for careers in engineering, research, or other scientific fields.