Symbolism Dictionary: A Comprehensive Guide

• Thread starter honestrosewater
  • Start date
In summary, this book is a dictionary of symbols with entries for different meanings that different cultures have given to symbols. It is a great resource for people looking for specific symbols.
honestrosewater
Gold Member
I'm looking for a book or website that is basically a dictionary of symbols or symbolism. It would have an entry for, say, fire and would list the different meanings fire has had in different cultures and fields (myth, religion, art, literature, philosophy, etc.) I remember reading a book like this about symbolism in world religions, but can't remember its title. Another example might be about snakes as representing evil in one culture and wisdom in another. I hope someone knows what I'm talking about... I am especially *not* looking for an explanation of symbolism in general; I want specific symbols, a dictionary-type format. Thanks as always :)
Happy thoughts
Rachel

Physics news on Phys.org
Hope somebody can guide you.

May I throw in a question? Traffic lights (at least in the USA) have three colors: red, amber, green. I can see how red symbolizes spilled blood. And green is peaceful and verdant, right? But what is the symbolic significance of amber? Leaves turning colors from balmy, safe summer into the teeth of a frighteningly cold winter, going through a yellowish stage maybe?

Janitor said:
Hope somebody can guide you.

May I throw in a question? Traffic lights (at least in the USA) have three colors: red, amber, green. I can see how red symbolizes spilled blood. And green is peaceful and verdant, right? But what is the symbolic significance of amber? Leaves turning colors from balmy, safe summer into the teeth of a frighteningly cold winter, going through a yellowish stage maybe?

Well what were their choices? The color has to contrast clearly with both red and green, and be visible from a distance. Blue and Purple are no good, so that just leaves the yellow-orange band. And that amber is right in the middle of it.

Sounds good to me!

honestrosewater said:
I'm looking for a book or website that is basically a dictionary of symbols or symbolism. It would have an entry for, say, fire and would list the different meanings fire has had in different cultures and fields (myth, religion, art, literature, philosophy, etc.) I remember reading a book like this about symbolism in world religions, but can't remember its title. Another example might be about snakes as representing evil in one culture and wisdom in another. I hope someone knows what I'm talking about... I am especially *not* looking for an explanation of symbolism in general; I want specific symbols, a dictionary-type format. Thanks as always :)
Happy thoughts
Rachel
I didn't see any real points about your question. What kind of book is that ? Why do you need to check for symbols, and || or symbolism ? What is your major ?
There is actually no such a book, you should be daydreaming, I guess.

I honestly tell you the truth that there IS no such a book, or it is just a "synthetic/imaginary" one. Believe me or not ? I don't care. ;)

Hi honestrosewater. Here are some I found at amazon.com.

A Dictionary of Symbols (Penguin Dictionaries)
by Jean Chevalier, Alain Gheerbrant, John Buchanan-Brown

An Illustrated Encyclopaedia of Traditional Symbols
by J. C. Cooper

The Secret Langauge of Symbols by David Fontana

Dictionary of Symbolism: Cultural Icons and the Meanings Behind Them
by Hans Biedermann, James Hulbert

Good job, lady!

By the way, can OP give me a comment ?

Evo said:
Dictionary of Symbolism: Cultural Icons and the Meanings Behind Them
by Hans Biedermann, James Hulbert

Amazon- Doh! This is the book I was looking for! Thanks Evo :biggrin:

What is the purpose of a symbolism dictionary?

A symbolism dictionary is a comprehensive guide that lists and explains various symbols and their meanings. It is used as a reference tool to help individuals understand the symbolism behind objects, actions, and concepts.

Who would benefit from using a symbolism dictionary?

A symbolism dictionary is beneficial for anyone who wants to deepen their understanding of symbols and their meanings. It is commonly used by writers, artists, filmmakers, and individuals interested in mythology, religion, and psychology.

How is a symbolism dictionary organized?

A symbolism dictionary is typically organized alphabetically, with each entry containing a symbol and its associated meanings. Some dictionaries may also include images or illustrations to enhance the understanding of the symbol.

Are there different types of symbols included in a symbolism dictionary?

Yes, a symbolism dictionary may include a wide range of symbols from various cultures, religions, and belief systems. It may also include symbols that are commonly used in literature, art, and everyday life.

Can a symbolism dictionary be used to interpret dreams?

Yes, a symbolism dictionary can be a helpful tool in interpreting dreams. It can provide insights into the hidden meanings behind symbols and objects that appear in dreams.