Optimizing Laser Beam Divergence for Spot Size Control

• Thread starter 0207
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Increasing
In summary, the person is seeking help with finding the focal length of a diverging lens that will produce a spot size of 1m at a distance of 100m. They mention a conventional beam expander design, but state that they do not want to use it. They believe the focal length of the lens should be approximately -4 meters (-4000 mm) based on an angular magnification of 25. They also mention that they do not intend to reduce the beam divergence, but rather increase the spot size. They calculated a value of 5335 mm using geometry in Rhino3D, but are not fully confident in this value and have disregarded the small beam divergence of 0.4 mrad.
PLease see if you could help me over this..

I have a laser beam emanating from am aperture of 50 mm dia. The beam divergence being 0.4 mrad. If i now choose a situation where say instead of the conventional beam expander design to expand the beam size and reduce the beam divergence, i choose to simply put a diverging lens in front (immediate exit) of the beam aperture. what should be the focal length of this lens to produce a spot size of 1m (say) at 100m ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Not very sure but might be around 5335 mm ...

thanx..
could you please elaborate and explain how did you arrive at this figure?

If you only have a diverging lens, why do you think you will reduce the beam divergence?

Your output beam divergence is 0.4 mrad. You want a beam divergence of 10 mrad (1 meter at 100 meters). This is an angular magnification of about 25. So the focal length of the diverging lens should be about -4 meters (-4000 mm).

Andy Resnick said:
If you only have a diverging lens, why do you think you will reduce the beam divergence?

I don't intend to reduce the beam divergence.. i want 2 increase the spot size .. beam expanders can help me achieve that (bigger spot size )with an additional advantage of a reduced divergence. but m not interested in following that approach.

The 5335 mm earlier was a value obtained with geometry in Rhino3D... that is why I'm not 100% about it. Basically I ran a line between a point at 100m with 500mm (half) elevation through a point at 25mm elevation situated at distance 0. the line went further to cross the X axis at -5335 mm. The small value of 0.4 mrad would increase the spot size of the naked laser beam to 120mm at 100m. I've ignored it since it would have made little difference for the diverted 1 m spot.

1. How does increasing the spot size affect laser beam intensity?

Increasing the spot size of a laser beam results in a decrease in beam intensity. This is because the same amount of power is spread out over a larger area, resulting in lower power density.

2. What is the purpose of increasing the spot size in laser applications?

Increasing the spot size is often done to reduce the power density of a laser beam, which can help prevent damage to sensitive materials or components. It can also be used to increase the size of the laser beam for certain applications.

3. Can increasing the spot size improve laser cutting or drilling precision?

In general, increasing the spot size can decrease the precision of laser cutting or drilling. This is because a larger spot size means a larger area of material is affected by the laser, resulting in less precise cuts or holes.

4. How does increasing the spot size affect the depth of laser penetration?

Increasing the spot size can decrease the depth of laser penetration into a material. This is because the laser energy is spread out over a larger area, resulting in less energy being absorbed by the material.

5. What are the limitations of increasing the spot size in laser applications?

While increasing the spot size can have benefits, it also has limitations. It can decrease the precision and depth of laser cutting or drilling, and it may not be suitable for certain materials or applications that require high power density. Additionally, increasing the spot size can also decrease the resolution of laser-based imaging systems.