How can I ignite these three rocket igniters?

• Thread starter Max CR
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rocket
In summary, the conversation discusses the frustration of trying to get three igniters to ignite simultaneously in a circuit using two 9-volt batteries. The suggestion is made to use lithium cells which can supply more current, but there is concern that the voltage may be too low. There is also discussion about using the ejection charge from a model rocket motor to ignite the next stage, but this is not possible in this specific design. The idea of putting the batteries in series is also mentioned, but there is concern about one igniter firing and fusing open before the others. The conversation ends with a request for ideas on how to solve the problem.
Physics news on Phys.org
Any ideas?

Ok. I am giong to try and put these igniters in series tomorrow. How does that sound? I mean, the regular controler to ignite an igniter uses four 1.5 volt batteries in series. That means that the igniter requires 6 volts to ignite. Say if I put the three igniters I have in series and I have two 9 volt batteries also in series, then this should cause the igniters to ignite, correct? Shouldn't just one 9 volt battery get the job done?

I can't get over how unsuccessful this is. I am trying to figure out WHAT will work?? Will thsi work?!

Max CR said:
0.8 ohms each

OK. Three in parallel will have a resistance of 0.27 ohms. And you never came back to say how your camera experiments went after everyone was so helpful, so why am helping now?

For greatest power transfer from batteries to igniters you want the batteries to have the same value of internal resistance. Get on your search engine and look up the impedence of 9 volt batteries.

Why are you using 9V batteries rather than 1.5V?

Commercial 9 volt alkaline batteries have a resistance of 2.8 ohms. For two in parallel 80% of the power goes to heating the batteries.

Panasonic quotes 0.13 ohms for their AA alkalines. Dollars to nickles.

What other sources of resistance do you have? What gauge and how long are the wires? is there a relay involved?

Last edited:
Max CR said:
Any ideas?

You're scaring me. That was 4 minutes since your last message. If you're that impatient, I worry about you handling rocket engines. I also worry because minorwork gave you what looks to be a very valuable link, which you seem not to have taken the time to read.

Rockets can be dangerous. Placing the ignition source on the rocket and out of your direct control adds to the danger. Using an ignition source that was not designed by an expert adds to the danger. Focusing on cost and not safety adds to the danger.

Max CR said:
I am using this switch in the circuit. Do you think that this could be the problem? It says that it is rated five amps. Does that mean that it can support up to five amps?

http://radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2049718&parentPage=family

Close the points of the micro switch and test for resistance across the switch. On resistance first then with the digital meter setting on the diode symbol. On this setting (the diode setting) the digits indicate voltage dropped across the points. The meter on this setting flows a bunch more current than the resistance setting and reveals bad connections more reliably than the resistance setting.

I think your main problem is the parallel wiring arrangement. If anyone or two has less resistance for any amount of time for whatever reason then the current will go to the path(s) of least resistance and not leave enough energy for your dud igniter. Any of the six connections to the igniters can screw you up because of this.

I don't know why you think that in a properly powered series setup that the first will go off before the rest. Test those cheap *** camera strobe power supplies. They looked hot enough with all those sparks they showed on YouTube that I know I don't want to get across the leads.

I once got into an SCR scoop car capacitor without discharging it. I thought it'd blown off a fingernail. It would leave a pit in a screwdriver. I've never been hit by a flyback transformer but one of the older electricians said it was the worst shock he'd ever got. My worst was 300 VDC trolley wire to the frame of a mantrip from one hand across to the other. My muscles contracted so hard that I was throwed away and luckily broke the circuit.

Vanadium 50 said:
Rockets can be dangerous. Placing the ignition source on the rocket and out of your direct control adds to the danger. Using an ignition source that was not designed by an expert adds to the danger. Focusing on cost and not safety adds to the danger.

Agreed. Max, in the interest of your safety and that of others, I'm afraid I'm going to have to refuse to further help you on this project and urge others to do likewise. I don't want to discourage you from model rocketry as it can be a fun and educational hobby, if performed safely. You are reckless. I strongly urge you to find a local model rocketry club in your area and learn more about it. Educate yourself on the principles involved. Get some personal assistance from one of the experienced members, who is more able to provide the type of guidance you require. Please, before you seriously hurt yourself or someone else.

I'm also recommending to the Mentors that they close this thread.