Where to find data on sea quark distribution of protons?

In summary, The conversation discusses the search for experimental data on the sea and valence quark distribution of the proton, as well as the issue of distinguishing between them. Several data sets are mentioned, including those from the CTEQ and MRS collaborations. The conversation also touches on theoretical calculations in the Gross-Neveu model and the difficulty of finding data for the proton's distributions. Recommendations for comparing these distributions with other quark models are also requested.
blue2script
Dear all!
I am currently searching for experimental data on the sea and valence quark distribution of the proton together with the gluon distribution.

You find plenty of F^p_2(x) structure functions but no consideration on how it splits in terms of sea and valence quarks.

A big thanks for all suggestions!
Blue2script

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi humanino,
thanks for these data sets, they are a good point to start with! The problem is: I want to compare the sea and valence quark distributions of the proton with theoretical calculations in the 1+1 dimensional Gross-Neveu model. In this model I can calculate these two distributions for baryons but I can't find data on these two distributions for the proton (but I will check your links, seems to be a lot of stuff on them). That's why only F2 or F1 is interesting for me, anything like polarized structure function or other spin-related measures have no counterpart in 1+1 dimensions.

Also, if you know some good comparisons of these distributions with other quark models (like the bag model) I would be glad if you could share these sources! I searched for hours but there is so much data on everything related to this I am getting crazy...

Thanks again!
Blue2script

Since the pdf sets have distribution functions for each type of quark and antiquark, you can get a great deal of physical information out by being a little clever. Consider a proton. Its only valence quarks should be up or down. So, the distributions of all types of antiquarks, as well as those of second and third generation quarks should be entirely the sea quark distribution. Then, since sea quarks appear only in quark antiquark pairs, the up and anti-up sea distributions should be equal (and the same for down and antidown), which means that the valence up quark distribution should be the up distribution minus the anti-up distribution.

1. What is the sea quark distribution of protons?

The sea quark distribution of protons refers to the distribution of quarks within a proton that are created by the constant fluctuations in the vacuum. These quarks are known as "sea quarks" and play a crucial role in understanding the structure of protons.

2. Why is it important to study the sea quark distribution of protons?

Studying the sea quark distribution of protons is important because it helps us understand the internal structure of protons and their interactions with other particles. This information is crucial for understanding the fundamental laws of physics and the behavior of matter at a subatomic level.

3. Where can I find data on sea quark distribution of protons?

Data on sea quark distribution of protons can be found in various scientific databases such as the Particle Data Group, the European Organization for Nuclear Research (CERN) database, and the National Nuclear Data Center (NNDC) database. These databases contain a wealth of information from experiments and theoretical calculations.

4. How is the sea quark distribution of protons measured?

The sea quark distribution of protons is measured through high-energy particle collisions, specifically through deep inelastic scattering experiments. In these experiments, a high-energy electron is fired at a proton and the resulting scattering patterns are used to determine the sea quark distribution.

5. What factors can affect the sea quark distribution of protons?

The sea quark distribution of protons can be affected by various factors such as the energy of the colliding particles, the polarization of the proton, and the type of particle being used to probe the proton. Other factors such as the proton's spin and the type of sea quark being measured can also impact the distribution.