Mass doesn not effect speed of dropped objects

• Thread starter JeepinBob
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mass Speed
In summary, Galileo proved that objects of different masses fall at the same rate due to the force of gravity being a function of mass and distance. This is determined by the universal law of gravitation and can be seen by equating the forces acting on the two objects. However, in practical experiments, air resistance may affect the time it takes for objects to reach the ground due to their different sizes and masses. Ultimately, this all depends on the relative mass and acceleration of the objects.
I understood exactly what you meant, Russ. I just posted for ernest's sake. I get the impression that he's being deliberately difficult.

Physics news on Phys.org
Jimmy said:
I understood exactly what you meant, Russ. I just posted for ernest's sake. I get the impression that he's being deliberately difficult.
I figured you did - I was confirming and amplifying.

TurtleMeister said:
mikelepore said:
The way I like to say that is:
F=ma
a=F/m
The ratio (F_big / m_big) is equal to the ratio (F_small / m_small).
Both are the same value of "a".

What is F_big and F_small?

I meant, for example, drop two objects near the surface of the earth.

Drop a 10 kg object (the smaller mass) and a 100,000 kg object (the bigger mass).

For each object, express its acceleration by expressing the ratio of the gravitational force that the Earth exerts on the object to the mass of the object.

10 kg object:
a = F_small / m_small = 98 N / 10 kg = 9.8 m/s^2

100,000 kg object:
a = F_big / m_big = 980,000 N / 100,000 kg = 9.8 m/s^2

The two objects experience the same acceleration.

mikelepore said:
I meant, for example, drop two objects near the surface of the earth.
I understand. Thanks for the clarification. I was thinking of the force between the Earth and only one object. My fault in misunderstanding.

<h2>1. How is it possible that the mass of an object does not affect its speed when dropped?</h2><p>According to the law of gravity, all objects fall at the same rate regardless of their mass. This means that the acceleration due to gravity is the same for all objects, and therefore their speed will also be the same when dropped from the same height.</p><h2>2. Why do heavier objects appear to fall faster than lighter objects?</h2><p>This is a common misconception, as heavier objects do not actually fall faster than lighter objects. The reason they may appear to do so is because of air resistance. Heavier objects have more mass and therefore more surface area, which increases air resistance and makes it seem like they are falling faster. However, in a vacuum where there is no air resistance, all objects would fall at the same rate.</p><h2>3. Does air resistance have any effect on the speed of falling objects?</h2><p>Yes, air resistance can affect the speed of falling objects. As mentioned before, it can make heavier objects appear to fall faster due to the increased surface area. It can also slow down the speed of lighter objects, as they have less mass and therefore less resistance to air. However, in a vacuum, air resistance is not a factor and all objects would fall at the same rate.</p><h2>4. What other factors can affect the speed of a falling object?</h2><p>The main factor that affects the speed of a falling object is the height from which it is dropped. The higher the object is dropped from, the longer it has to accelerate and the faster it will fall. Other factors that can have a minor effect include the shape and density of the object, as well as air pressure and temperature.</p><h2>5. Does the mass of an object have any impact on its acceleration when dropped?</h2><p>No, the mass of an object does not affect its acceleration when dropped. As stated before, all objects experience the same acceleration due to gravity regardless of their mass. This is why objects of different masses will reach the ground at the same time when dropped from the same height.</p>

1. How is it possible that the mass of an object does not affect its speed when dropped?

According to the law of gravity, all objects fall at the same rate regardless of their mass. This means that the acceleration due to gravity is the same for all objects, and therefore their speed will also be the same when dropped from the same height.

2. Why do heavier objects appear to fall faster than lighter objects?

This is a common misconception, as heavier objects do not actually fall faster than lighter objects. The reason they may appear to do so is because of air resistance. Heavier objects have more mass and therefore more surface area, which increases air resistance and makes it seem like they are falling faster. However, in a vacuum where there is no air resistance, all objects would fall at the same rate.

3. Does air resistance have any effect on the speed of falling objects?

Yes, air resistance can affect the speed of falling objects. As mentioned before, it can make heavier objects appear to fall faster due to the increased surface area. It can also slow down the speed of lighter objects, as they have less mass and therefore less resistance to air. However, in a vacuum, air resistance is not a factor and all objects would fall at the same rate.

4. What other factors can affect the speed of a falling object?

The main factor that affects the speed of a falling object is the height from which it is dropped. The higher the object is dropped from, the longer it has to accelerate and the faster it will fall. Other factors that can have a minor effect include the shape and density of the object, as well as air pressure and temperature.

5. Does the mass of an object have any impact on its acceleration when dropped?

No, the mass of an object does not affect its acceleration when dropped. As stated before, all objects experience the same acceleration due to gravity regardless of their mass. This is why objects of different masses will reach the ground at the same time when dropped from the same height.