Maximum energy of a decay product in three(or more)-particle decay

Expert SummarizerIn summary, when a particle A at rest decays into three or more particles, the maximum energy of particle B can be expressed as E_B,max = m_A c^2 - (m_C + m_D + ...) c^2. To maximize this energy, we should choose particles with the smallest masses possible and ensure that all particles are moving in the same direction at the same velocity.
NanakiXIII

Homework Statement

A particle A at rest decays into three or more particles: A -> B + C + D + ...

What is the maximum energy particle B can have, expressed in the various masses?

Homework Equations

E^2 = m^2 c^4 + p^2 c^2;
Conservation of energy and momentum.

The Attempt at a Solution

My reasoning in this problem is as follows. We can view this decay as a two-particle decay with particles B and X = (C + D + ...). The difference between this and an actual two-particle decay is that the mass of X can have different values.

Because of conservation of momentum, the momentum of B needs to be opposite and equal to that of X. To maximize the energy of B, we need to minimize the amount of energy going into X. Since we can't do much about the kinetic energy of X as a whole, we need to minimize the internal energy of X. That means that all the particles need to be going in the same direction at the same velocity. So,

[tex]p_b = -p_X = m_X v = (m_C + m_D + ...) v[/tex].

Now, this all seems to make sense, but it doesn't seem like the way to go. Trying to calculate things from this point generate rather large expressions, which doesn't seem right. I'm also not even sure how to go about integrating the last restriction I named, since all the equations only seem to care about the size of the momentum three-vector, and not about how that vector is generated, while different compositions for the vector should lead to different energies.

In addition to the above mess, I tried just writing out conservation of four-momentum in various arrangements and squaring them, but that didn't seem to lead to solvable equations. In fact, they seemed to suggest that the internal energy of X needed to be maximized, which doesn't sound right. Basically, I think I'm overlooking an easier way to go about this. If anyone could point me in a more productive direction, I'd appreciate it.

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your question! I understand your reasoning and it is a good start to solving this problem. However, I believe you may be overcomplicating things a bit. Let me offer a simpler approach.

First, let's look at the conservation of energy equation:

E_A = E_B + E_C + E_D + ...

Since particle A is at rest, its energy is simply its mass, E_A = m_A c^2. Now, to maximize the energy of particle B, we want to minimize the energy of the other particles. This means that we want to minimize the sum of their masses, as well as their kinetic energies.

To minimize the sum of the masses, we want to choose particles with the smallest masses possible. This means that particle C, D, etc. should all have the smallest masses possible. For example, if particle C is a proton and particle D is a neutron, we could choose them to be pions instead, which have a much smaller mass.

To minimize the kinetic energies of the particles, we want them to all be moving in the same direction at the same velocity, as you mentioned. This means that all the particles should have the same momentum, and thus the same velocity.

Putting this all together, we can say that the maximum energy of particle B is given by:

E_B,max = m_A c^2 - (m_C + m_D + ...) c^2

So, to summarize, to maximize the energy of particle B, we want to choose particles with the smallest masses possible, and all moving in the same direction at the same velocity.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions.

1. What is the maximum energy of a decay product in a three-particle decay?

The maximum energy of a decay product in a three-particle decay is determined by the total energy available for the decay and the masses of the particles involved. This maximum energy can be calculated using conservation of energy and momentum equations.

2. Can the maximum energy of a decay product be greater than the total energy available?

No, the maximum energy of a decay product cannot exceed the total energy available for the decay. This is due to the conservation of energy law, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted into other forms.

3. How does the mass of the parent particle affect the maximum energy of the decay product?

The mass of the parent particle affects the maximum energy of the decay product by limiting the amount of energy available for the decay. The more massive the parent particle, the higher the maximum energy of the decay product can be.

4. Are there any other factors that can affect the maximum energy of a decay product?

Yes, the number of decay products and their masses also play a role in determining the maximum energy. In a three-particle decay, the masses of the other two decay products and their relative angles can impact the maximum energy of the third decay product.

5. How is the maximum energy of a decay product experimentally determined?

The maximum energy of a decay product can be experimentally determined by measuring the energies and angles of the decay products and using them to solve for the total energy available for the decay. This can then be compared to the mass of the parent particle to calculate the maximum energy of the decay product.