Second Chance at Intro College Physics: Can I Make It?

In summary, a person in their 30s shared that they have not studied algebra, trigonometry, or physics in 19 years. They recently failed their second physics test and are unsure if they should retake the class. They express concerns about their self-esteem and ask if anyone has taken an introductory physics class twice. Another person shares a quote by Confucius that inspires them to keep going despite the challenges.
1irishman
Hello, I'm in my 30's and haven't been studying algebra, trig, or physics for around 19 years. Well, i just failed my second physics test and I'm pretty bummed out about it. However, I was thinking of taking the same class again next semester, but I'm not sure if i will do any better the second time around. My self esteem can only take so much to be honest. My question is, has anyone here ever taken an introductory physics class twice? Is there any hope for me in learning Physics at all after failing two tests?!
thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
It does not matter how slow you go, as long as you don't stop - Confucius.

Wow! I don't know why, but just that one quote has totally inspired me to keep forging on despite the hardship I am having with this intro physics! Amazing, the power of words! Thank you for sharing that with me, I really appreciate it. :-)

1. Can I succeed in intro college physics if I didn't do well in high school physics?

Yes, absolutely! Intro college physics is designed to build upon the foundations of high school physics, but it is not necessary to have excelled in high school in order to succeed in college. With hard work and dedication, anyone can do well in intro college physics.

2. Is it too late to take intro college physics if I have been out of school for several years?

No, it is never too late to pursue your academic goals. Many students return to school after being out of the classroom for some time, and they are able to succeed in intro college physics with determination and support from their peers and instructors.

3. How much math is involved in intro college physics?

Intro college physics typically involves algebra, trigonometry, and basic calculus. It is important to have a strong foundation in these subjects in order to understand the concepts in physics, but students who are willing to put in the effort can succeed even if they are not naturally strong in math.

4. What are some tips for doing well in intro college physics?

Some tips for doing well in intro college physics include attending all lectures and labs, actively participating in class discussions, completing all assigned homework and practice problems, seeking help from professors or tutors when needed, and studying consistently throughout the semester rather than cramming for exams.

5. What careers can I pursue with a degree in physics?

A degree in physics can lead to a wide range of career opportunities, including research and development in areas such as aerospace, renewable energy, and material science. Physics graduates can also work in fields such as engineering, data analysis, and education. Additionally, many physics majors go on to pursue advanced degrees in fields such as medicine, law, and business.