Calculating Charge and Electron Count of Dust Particle in Electric Field

In summary: The answer was 3.1E-9 Coulombs In summary, a small dust particle with a mass of 1.6 micrograms travels through an electric air cleaner with an electric field of 508 N/C. The electric force on the particle is equal to its weight, and therefore the charge on the particle is 3.1E-9 Coulombs. This corresponds to approximately 1.94x10^11 excess electrons providing the charge.
Kourtney0115

Homework Statement

A small piece of dust of mass m = 1.6 g travels horizontally through an electric air cleaner in which the electric field is 508 N/C. The electric force on the particle is equal to the weight of the particle.
a)What is the charge on the dust particle?
b)If this charge is provided by an excess of electrons, how many electrons does that correspond to?

Homework Equations

E=F/q

The Attempt at a Solution

a. (1.6e-6 * 9.8)/508 = 3.1e-8
b. 3.1e-8/1.6e-19 = 1.94e11

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Kourtney0115, welcome to PF. Is there an answer you are seeking? If so, what is the question?

I attempted questions a and b from my question i posted but when i put it into my online homework it says its incorrect. I wasnt sure what i was doing wrong.

Kourtney0115 said:
I attempted questions a and b from my question i posted but when i put it into my online homework it says its incorrect. I wasnt sure what i was doing wrong.

1.6 g = 1.6x10-3 kg. You are off by three orders of magnitude. Otherwise, your method is correct.

The reason i used 1.6x10^-6 is because it is supposed to say 1.6 micrograms. the symbol didnt paste with the rest of the problem. sorry about that.

If it's micrograms then it should be 1.6x10-9 kg. (=1.6x10-6 g)

Ok, thank you so much!

Then 1.6 micrograms = 1.6x10-6 grams = 1.6x10-9 kg.

Oh hi Purdue Physics 221. I just got done with this one.

1. What is the charge on a dust particle?

The charge on a dust particle can vary depending on the materials it is composed of and the environment it is in. Generally, dust particles have a negative charge due to the accumulation of electrons from friction or contact with other materials.

2. How does dust acquire its charge?

Dust can acquire its charge through various processes such as friction, contact with other charged materials, or exposure to radiation. These processes can transfer electrons to or from the dust particle, resulting in a net charge.

3. Can the charge on a dust particle change over time?

Yes, the charge on a dust particle can change over time due to various factors such as environmental conditions, interactions with other charged particles, and the buildup of additional particles on its surface.

4. How does the charge on a dust particle affect its behavior?

The charge on a dust particle can affect its behavior in several ways. For example, charged dust particles may be more likely to stick to surfaces due to attractive forces between opposite charges. They may also repel other charged particles, causing them to disperse or clump together.

5. Can the charge on a dust particle be measured?

Yes, the charge on a dust particle can be measured using various techniques such as electrostatic voltmeters, Faraday cups, or laser-induced fluorescence. These methods can provide information about the magnitude and polarity of the charge on a dust particle.