Expressing Vector a as the Sum of Two Vectors Parallel and Perpendicular to b

• Thread starter Physics_Student
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vector
In summary, the conversation discusses how to express vector a as the sum of two components, one parallel to vector b and the other perpendicular to vector b. The formula for the projection of a onto b is given, and it is suggested to refer to a basic book on linear algebra for further understanding. The perpendicular component of a is found by subtracting the parallel component from a. One contributor suggests using another method, but it is pointed out that the thread is 8 years old and necroposting is not allowed.
Physics_Student
I'm having trouble with what should be a simple question!

Let a = (2,4,-2) and b = (4,-2,2)

I need to be able to express a as the sum of two vectors, one parallel to b and the other perpendicular to b.

Thing is, I haven't the foggiest idea where to start! Any ideas?

Thanks

Mathematics news on Phys.org
The vector parallel to b is called the "projection of a onto b". There is a formula for it, and it should be covered in any basic book on linear algebra (at least in the cases of the vectors being in R^2 or R^3). proj(a, b) = (a.b)/(b.b) * b, (but obviously it's no good to just know the formula, so get yourself a book) ;).

erm,
u mean the component of a parallel to b is "the projection of a onto b" right?

anyways as muzza said the parallel component of a comes as a projection of a onto b and the entire thing can be written as,
a = [(a.b)/b^2] b + (a - [(a.b)/b^2] b)

the first component is parallel to b and the second component is perpendicular to b.

-- AI

erm,
u mean the component of a parallel to b is "the projection of a onto b" right?

Yes, I figured that was understood.

Thanks for the speedy replies.

I get where the parallel component comes from, but I don't understand where the perpendicular component comes from?

Let a_p be the aforementioned vector parallel to b, and a_o be the perpendicular vector. Then a = a_p + a_o <=> a_o = a - a_p = a - (a.b)/(b.b) * b.

Thanks, that explained it very clearly. Can't believe I didn't notice it was that simple.

Thanks

there should be some another method

Last edited:
misread it

aswinsp thank you for your contribution but if you look at the time stamp above people's names you will see that this thread is 8 years old. Posting in such an old thread is called necroposting and is not allowed.

1. What is a simple vector?

A simple vector is a mathematical object that has both magnitude (size) and direction. It is commonly represented by an arrow, with the length of the arrow representing the magnitude and the direction of the arrow representing the direction.

2. How do you add two simple vectors?

To add two simple vectors, you can use the head-to-tail method. First, draw the two vectors with their tails at the same point. Then, draw a new vector from the tail of the first vector to the head of the second vector. The resulting vector from the tail of the first vector to the head of the new vector is the sum of the two original vectors.

3. What is the difference between a simple vector and a complex vector?

A simple vector has only magnitude and direction, while a complex vector has both real and imaginary components. Simple vectors are used to represent physical quantities such as displacement, velocity, and force, while complex vectors are used in more advanced mathematical concepts such as complex numbers and Fourier transforms.

4. How do you find the magnitude of a simple vector?

The magnitude of a simple vector can be found using the Pythagorean theorem. The length of the vector is equal to the square root of the sum of the squares of its components. For example, if a vector has components of 3 and 4, its magnitude is √(3² + 4²) = 5.

5. What are some real-life applications of simple vectors?

Simple vectors have many real-life applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and navigation. They are used to represent forces, velocities, and displacements in mechanics, and are also used in vector calculus to solve problems in electromagnetism and fluid dynamics. In navigation, simple vectors are used to represent the direction and speed of an object in motion, such as a plane or a ship.