How do you find the unit tanget vector to the curve ?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the unit tangent and unit normal vectors without a given value for t in the equation r(t) = <cosh(t), -sinh(t), t>. The tangent vector is r'(t) and the unit tangent vector is r'(t)/||r'(t)||, which is generalized since t is a variable. The derivative of cosh(x) is sinh(x) and vice versa, and the equation for N(t) is T'/dist(T'). The notation dist(T') represents the magnitude of T', and the conversation suggests using a formula to find N(t).
lexie04

Homework Statement

r(t) = <cosh(t), -sinh(t), t>
not given a value for t.

Homework Equations

r'(t)
N(t)

The Attempt at a Solution

T = r'(t)/distance[r'(t)]

how do you find unit tangent vector and the unit normal vector without being given a value for t?

r'(t) = <sinh(t),- cosh(t),t>

Physics news on Phys.org
your r'(t) is not right. The tangent vector is r'(t), an the unit tangent vector is r'(t)/||r'(t)||

oh and to answer your question, the answers are in terms of t. since you are not given a value of t(it is a variable so there is no set value), your answer is in terms of t. this allows for the answer that you get to be 'generalized'. this means that you can substitute any value of t you want into your equation and get the answer. it looks to me like you will be dealing with these t variables exclusively for the rest of your calculus career

so when i get the unit tangent vector it is <sinh(t)/(sinh(t)+cosh(t)),-cosh(t)/(sinh(t)+cosh(t)),0> how do i go about taking the derivative of that in order to find the unit normal vector?

i believe the derivative of cosh(x) is sinh(x) and vice versa, you should double check that. and what level of calculus are you at? there are different methods for finding the normal vector and i want to know which one will suit your level. this is mostly because i can only remember the higher level one because its more recent in my memory.

calc 3. the derivatives where given to me. and the equation we have been using for N(t) is T'/dist(T').
thank you

and using that formula you are still having issues? I don't quite understand that notation. is dist(T') = ||T'||? or the magnitude of T'

It's supposed to be the magnitude of T'. T' is just the derivative of the tangent vector.

1. What is a unit tangent vector?

A unit tangent vector is a vector that is tangent to a curve at a specific point and has a magnitude of 1.

2. How do you find the unit tangent vector to a curve?

The unit tangent vector can be found by taking the derivative of the curve at a specific point and then normalizing the resulting vector.

3. Why is it important to find the unit tangent vector?

The unit tangent vector can provide information about the direction and rate of change of a curve at a specific point. It is also used in various applications such as calculating curvature and solving optimization problems.

4. Can a curve have more than one unit tangent vector?

No, a curve can only have one unit tangent vector at a specific point. However, as the point moves along the curve, the unit tangent vector will change accordingly.

5. Are there any alternative methods for finding the unit tangent vector?

Yes, there are alternative methods such as using the arc length parameterization or using geometric properties of the curve. However, the most common and straightforward method is using the derivative and normalizing the resulting vector.