Third Party Moderation for Objectivity in Discussions

• Suggestion
  • Thread starter DaveC426913
  • Start date
In summary, there is a concern about moderators who are also members engaging in discussions and potentially moderating those same discussions. This can lead to a perception of abuse of power and unfairness. It is suggested that there should be a clear separation of powers between moderators and members in discussions, and that if a potential rule violation is seen by a moderator who is a member, they should not moderate but instead report it to another moderator for objective intervention. The forum has guidelines in place to ensure that moderating decisions are fair and unbiased.
We've had issues with people not understanding the functioning of the report button in the past and have revised the description in the terms of use at least once inan attept to ensure people aren't shy about reporting posts.

Physics news on Phys.org
I've reported posts by mentors lots of times.

russ_watters said:
We've had issues with people not understanding the functioning of the report button in the past and have revised the description in the terms of use at least once inan attept to ensure people aren't shy about reporting posts.
What some members may be unaware of is that, when you go to report a post, you may ignore the message that says:
Note: This is ONLY to be used to report spam, advertising messages, problematic (harassment, fighting, or rude) and unappropriated posts.
That message is a built-in feature of the forum, Greg does not have the ability to change it unfortunately. Feel free to report any post where you think there might be some issue. Whether or not we decide to take action, it will at least be brought to our attention.

Redbelly98 said:
What some members may be unaware of is that, when you go to report a post, you may ignore the message that says:
Note: This is ONLY to be used to report spam, advertising messages, problematic (harassment, fighting, or rude) and unappropriated posts.

ignore because 'unappropriated' is not the right word?

rewebster said:
ignore because 'unappropriated' is not the right word?
Believe me, we've brought that up before.

Evo said:
Believe me, we've brought that up before.

how do I know that's not one of the two times you (as a woman) are not telling the truth /day?

I have just posted in here to raise an isue regarding a locked thread and that thread was locked too.

Who is this Greg I can appeal too?

phizo said:
I have just posted in here to raise an isue regarding a locked thread and that thread was locked too.

Who is this Greg I can appeal too?
Greg is unreachable. I PM'd you. The thread will remain locked. I suggest that you read the message I sent you.

Evo said:
Greg is unreachable. I PM'd you. The thread will remain locked. I suggest that you read the message I sent you.

This one?

"Right now all of your posts have come under scrutiny and you are being discussed. I suggest that you cut out the nonsense if you wish to continue to be allowed to post here. This is a serious forum."

Firstly I welcome any scrutiny of my posts because I don't see anything wrong with them.
As I don't believe I have posted any nonsense, I will look for another forum.

I want to make a single observation about a new member's first post that I witnessed. After reading it without going into details I knew they were trying to sell half baked ideas, not listen to reason. They had all the classic signs of a crackpot. I instinctively knew that that member's first post would be their last. I even e-mailed a couple of friend's jokingly about it.

Sadly, I was correct. On the bright side, if everyone with an agenda without basing their posts on real science, PF would become a wasteland in a hurry.

I am grateful we have the mentor's we do here. No one is perfect, and the honest discussion by mentors about peer mentors behavior in this thread proves it. That being said, I want to end on a positive note, keep up the good work, at times it goes unnoticed, however, I for one appreciate it.

Rhody... :wink:

rewebster said:
Do you think members report or have the idea that they can report mentors?

Just so you have fair warning...doing something like that is a good way to get nominated to be a mentor. :biggrin: (Well, as long as it's done respectfully, anyway.)

And, actually, it has happened that members report a mentor when a mentor has themselves crossed the line. And, I do recall times when the mentor's posts were the ones deleted as being the ones that were problematic. That's also why there isn't just one or two mentors, but a whole group of them with different personalities and perspectives and areas of expertise to provide some internal checks and balances. There are times when moderation decisions have practically turned into a bar brawl in the mentor's forum. :biggrin: Members have had infractions reversed. Again, if they respectfully dispute it, the mentors do listen.

OK, I'm satisfied that this issue has been given due analysis.

I can't expect that every single time a user (even me) gets on the wrong side of an infraction that the system will be overhauled.

The system is working extremely well, no one can argue that.

Carry on.

DaveC426913 said:
OK, I'm satisfied that this issue has been given due analysis.

I can't expect that every single time a user (even me) gets on the wrong side of an infraction that the system will be overhauled.

The system is working extremely well, no one can argue that.

Carry on.

It works extremely well as far as dealing with the crackpot problem. Because most other forums fail in this regard, this makes PF stand out as almost unique.

However, the methods used to achieve this have side effects and addressing those side effects is not appreciated. And that reminds me of private discussions I had with a friend in East Germany in 1981: "The system is working well, we don't have poverty here, there are no homeless people freezing to death in winter on the streets. And yes, we do have a handful of dissidents in jail, no system can be perfect in all regards..."

Count Iblis said:
It works extremely well as far as dealing with the crackpot problem. Because most other forums fail in this regard, this makes PF stand out as almost unique.

However, the methods used to achieve this have side effects and addressing those side effects is not appreciated. And that reminds me of private discussions I had with a friend in East Germany in 1981: "The system is working well, we don't have poverty here, there are no homeless people freezing to death in winter on the streets. And yes, we do have a handful of dissidents in jail, no system can be perfect in all regards..."

Except that people in the old East Germany can't leave to choose another place to live in. As far as I can tell, no one is stopping you from walking out the door.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Except that people in the old East Germany can't leave to choose another place to live in. As far as I can tell, no one is stopping you from walking out the door.

Zz.

Oh, they could choose to leave to another place to live in. There is always choice. Only that they shoot dead the ones who tried to leave.

DanP said:
Oh, they could choose to leave to another place to live in. There is always choice. Only that they shoot dead the ones who tried to leave.

...which is, obviously, where the analogy falls apart. (Unless you think the PF Mods are particularly vindictive. :uhh:)

No need to follow the analogy beyond its usefulness.

russ_watters said:
Typically, moderators will only act in clear-cut cases if they have a conflict of interest and will otherwise bring the issue up for discussion first.
Greg Bernhardt said:
Dave, your OP is something the staff has talked about in the past and take efforts in doing.
DaveC426913 said:
This post is not a criticism of PF or the moderators.
Evo said:
To elaborate on this. It is a rule we follow that before we "intentionally" edit a post, we put a copy of the original post in the mentor's forum first.
ZapperZ said:
Do you think this is a systemic problem in PF? In other words, is this a common occurrence

I think maybe the disconnect between members and mentors is that many netizens would want to distinguish between having "justice" be done, and having it seen to be done. (If these cases and potentially perceived biases are murky enough to be discussed in secrecy among mentors already, I can't see why the final action should need be performed by the same one personally involved in the thread.)

The issue in the OP certainly does remain a very common occurrence (https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=410406").

A related question: is there any way for members to always be automatically notified if someone else edits any of the posts they authored, and be privately posted a copy from before the edit? (And to at least be notified if a thread in which you partook is altered?) For me, much of the value of PF (specifically rather than a new forum) is the ability to find and return to where I've figured something out here in the past, and quickly remind myself by my own words (or by whoever's words I found most useful originally). I guess it's like facebook: our own contributions continually increase its value to us, then people get up in arms when they realize they've let themselves become dependent on the vagaries of a third party. And next thing you know, diaspora project is something people would blindly pay practically anyone to try to develop.. :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
cesiumfrog said:
A related question: is there any way for members to always be automatically notified if someone else edits any of the posts they authored, and be privately posted a copy from before the edit? For me, much of the value of PF (specifically rather than a new forum) is the ability to return to where I've figured something out here in the past, and quickly remind myself by my own words.
Yes, if your post had to be edited, we copy it before it's edited and you can request a copy. Same thing if it was deleted. I've pm'd people copies of both.

...but it would be nice if it was automatic because we occasionally lose posts accidentally.

russ_watters said:
...but it would be nice if it was automatic because we occasionally lose posts accidentally.
Especially when you hit the edit button by mistake. I accidently edited one of Zoob's posts today.

cesiumfrog said:
I think maybe the disconnect between members and mentors is that many netizens would want to distinguish between having "justice" be done, and having it seen to be done. (If these cases and potentially perceived biases are murky enough to be discussed in secrecy among mentors already, I can't see why the final action should need be performed by the same one personally involved in the thread.)

I agree with the idea that there's a disconnect between seeing what happens when there's an obvious disagreement that's not an issue of crackpottery or disrespect or what-have-you between a mentor and a member and simply an issue of opinion differences. Then stuff disappears and likely discussion goes to PM, and we're left not knowing what happened. That can cause subsequent leeriness when dealing with a particular mentor, because you don't know where you're going to stand. It's potentially a really uncomfortable position to be in.

At the same time, I entirely understand not having arguments in public about board rules and policy and infraction consequences. I don't tolerate it on a board I run either. Still. There's got to be some middle ground, I would hope.

Evo said:
Especially when you hit the edit button by mistake. I accidently edited one of Zoob's posts today.

Maybe some sort of popup confirmation for the mentors "Are you sure you want to edit SoAndSo's post?", when they click edit?

NeoDevin said:
Maybe some sort of popup confirmation for the mentors "Are you sure you want to edit SoAndSo's post?", when they click edit?
That would be wonderful.

I read a few pages of this thread and it really enlightened me about the moderation process. Like others, I did not realize that there was even a moderators forum where each infraction is discussed. More proof of the quality of Physics Forums IMHO.
love0029.gif

I haven't read everything in this thread so I don't know if this has been suggested. Maybe a statement along the lines of "The mentors have decided..." would show that the decision wasn't made by one person without going into great detail about the process.

Evo said:
[popup edit confirmation for the mentors] would be wonderful.
If the admin isn't able to edit the text string associated with reporting posts, an entire new feature mightn't be likely. But when members edit their own posts, it is only then that they are supplied text edit box, and they already must afterward confirm to submit and otherwise may cancel. Oh, is the problem for moderators failing to notice that the post they think they are writing a reply to is not wrapped in QUOTE tags (and that the original copy only goes to private forums if the moderator chose deliberately to copy it there manually)?

cesiumfrog said:
If the admin isn't able to edit the text string associated with reporting posts, an entire new feature mightn't be likely. But when members edit their own posts, it is only then that they are supplied text edit box, and they already must afterward confirm to submit and otherwise may cancel. Oh, is the problem for moderators failing to notice that the post they think they are writing a reply to is not wrapped in QUOTE tags (and that the original copy only goes to private forums if the moderator chose deliberately to copy it there manually)?
The mentors have a different view, we also have different buttons. You'd be surprised how easy it is to accidently edit.

<h2>1. What is third party moderation for objectivity in discussions?</h2><p>Third party moderation for objectivity in discussions is a process in which a neutral and unbiased third party is brought in to oversee and facilitate discussions between two or more parties. This helps to ensure that the discussion remains fair and objective, and that all parties have an equal opportunity to share their perspectives.</p><h2>2. Why is third party moderation important for discussions?</h2><p>Third party moderation is important because it helps to prevent bias and maintain objectivity in discussions. When discussions become heated or emotional, it can be difficult for the parties involved to remain objective. A third party moderator can help to keep the discussion focused and fair, and prevent any one party from dominating the conversation.</p><h2>3. Who can serve as a third party moderator?</h2><p>A third party moderator can be anyone who is neutral and unbiased, and has the necessary skills to facilitate discussions. This can include professionals such as mediators, facilitators, or trained moderators, as well as trusted individuals who are not directly involved in the discussion.</p><h2>4. How does third party moderation work?</h2><p>Third party moderation typically involves setting ground rules for the discussion, ensuring that all parties have an opportunity to speak, and keeping the discussion on track. The moderator may also ask questions to clarify points and help the parties understand each other's perspectives. Ultimately, the goal is to reach a mutually agreeable resolution or understanding.</p><h2>5. When should third party moderation be used?</h2><p>Third party moderation can be used in any situation where there is potential for bias or conflict in a discussion. This can include workplace disputes, family discussions, or online debates. It can also be helpful in situations where there is a power imbalance between the parties, such as in negotiations or legal proceedings.</p>

1. What is third party moderation for objectivity in discussions?

Third party moderation for objectivity in discussions is a process in which a neutral and unbiased third party is brought in to oversee and facilitate discussions between two or more parties. This helps to ensure that the discussion remains fair and objective, and that all parties have an equal opportunity to share their perspectives.

2. Why is third party moderation important for discussions?

Third party moderation is important because it helps to prevent bias and maintain objectivity in discussions. When discussions become heated or emotional, it can be difficult for the parties involved to remain objective. A third party moderator can help to keep the discussion focused and fair, and prevent any one party from dominating the conversation.

3. Who can serve as a third party moderator?

A third party moderator can be anyone who is neutral and unbiased, and has the necessary skills to facilitate discussions. This can include professionals such as mediators, facilitators, or trained moderators, as well as trusted individuals who are not directly involved in the discussion.

4. How does third party moderation work?

Third party moderation typically involves setting ground rules for the discussion, ensuring that all parties have an opportunity to speak, and keeping the discussion on track. The moderator may also ask questions to clarify points and help the parties understand each other's perspectives. Ultimately, the goal is to reach a mutually agreeable resolution or understanding.

5. When should third party moderation be used?

Third party moderation can be used in any situation where there is potential for bias or conflict in a discussion. This can include workplace disputes, family discussions, or online debates. It can also be helpful in situations where there is a power imbalance between the parties, such as in negotiations or legal proceedings.