Could Using AC Induction to Separate Aluminum from Food Products be Harmful?

In summary, the eddy current separator uses an alternating field to repel aluminum from other materials.
jmedlen27
I am currently looking into using a master magnet to separate aluminum from food products by AC induction. First, does anyone know if this would be at all possible? I know that recycling companies use Edy machines which sound like the same process of seperating cans from other materials. I am also wondering if this process would be hamrful to use with food because I have only found incidences of this with waste and recycling products. Please let me know what you think.

Physics news on Phys.org
Aluminum will not feel a force due to AC induction.

You will need a way to charge the aluminum and attract it away.

Sorry, LC, but Alumin(i)um is repelled by an alternating field. That is the basis of the eddy-current separators mentioned.
See...
http://college.usc.edu/labs/physicsdemolab/electrostatics/eddy.cfm#em53 [Broken]

How cost-effective it will be at clearing scraps and slivers of metal from eg animal feed, I have no idea. Sieving or screening may be a better option. Sadly, the best option may be to tackle the source of the debris...

Last edited by a moderator:
Its non ferrous, so it shouldn't have any loop currents? It shouldn't feel any force. Also if there were currents wouldn't they follow the currents of the inductor and it would attract?

Well if microwave energy doesn't have any proven harmful effects with food, it's hard to imagine ac inducion would. On the other hand, if the power density is sufficient, you might slightly cook (heat) the food depending on frequencies involved...there was a thread about microwave cooking here in the last few months if you are interested...seems most of the effect is related to dipole moments in water molecules...

LostConjugate said:
Its non ferrous, so it shouldn't have any loop currents? It shouldn't feel any force. Also if there were currents wouldn't they follow the currents of the inductor and it would attract?

A material doesn't have to be ferrous to experience eddy currents, it only needs to conduct electricity, and the induced field opposes the applied one.

Take a thick aluminum plate and wave a rare Earth magnet across it...when you approach the plate closely, you'll feel the drag produced by the eddy currents induced in the aluminum. Works with coins, too...put a US quarter on a piece of cardboard and slide a large rare Earth magnet around beneath it. The coin will "catch on" the moving magnetic field and move along with the magnet. With an AC powered electromagnet, you can easily achieve repulsive forces in highly conductive non-ferrous materials while still having net attractive forces on ferrous materials. Aside from recyclable metal sorting, it's used for electromagnetic brakes and repairing dents in aluminum aircraft skins (electromagnetic "dent pullers").

And to answer the actual question...it shouldn't harm the food directly. Depending on the construction, you may heat parts of the container excessively or possibly induce currents that could cause electrochemical reactions between the container and the food. The latter seems unlikely, but is something to watch out for.

cjameshuff said:
Take a thick aluminum plate and wave a rare Earth magnet across it

It still amazes me every time I drop a magnet down a copper or aluminum pipe.

cjameshuff said:
A material doesn't have to be ferrous to experience eddy currents, it only needs to conduct electricity, and the induced field opposes the applied one.

Take a thick aluminum plate and wave a rare Earth magnet across it...when you approach the plate closely, you'll feel the drag produced by the eddy currents induced in the aluminum. Works with coins, too...put a US quarter on a piece of cardboard and slide a large rare Earth magnet around beneath it. The coin will "catch on" the moving magnetic field and move along with the magnet. With an AC powered electromagnet, you can easily achieve repulsive forces in highly conductive non-ferrous materials while still having net attractive forces on ferrous materials. Aside from recyclable metal sorting, it's used for electromagnetic brakes and repairing dents in aluminum aircraft skins (electromagnetic "dent pullers").

I guess I just find it amazing that the currents refuse to follow the current from the electro magnet but are willing to curl in the opposite way.

LostConjugate said:
I guess I just find it amazing that the currents refuse to follow the current from the electro magnet but are willing to curl in the opposite way.

For it to do otherwise would be...surprising. A growing field penetrating a conductor would make itself grow faster. A magnet pushed into a copper tube would accelerate, with acceleration proportional to its velocity. (actually, I'm not sure you could say that much...since the Lorentz force would have to flip direction to allow it, and if it did so randomly, there should be no overall induced current)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lenz's_law

1. Can AC induction cause electric shock?

Yes, AC induction can cause electric shock if the voltage is high enough to overcome the body's resistance and cause a current to flow through the body. This can lead to serious injury or even death.

2. What are the health risks associated with exposure to AC induction?

Exposure to AC induction can have various health risks, including electric shock, burns, and nerve damage. There is also a potential risk of starting a fire if the AC induction is not properly installed or maintained.

3. Can AC induction interfere with electronic devices?

Yes, AC induction can interfere with electronic devices, especially if they are not properly shielded. This can result in malfunctioning or damaged electronic equipment.

4. How can AC induction be prevented or reduced?

AC induction can be prevented or reduced by using proper insulation and grounding techniques, as well as avoiding contact with live wires. It is also important to regularly maintain and inspect AC induction systems to ensure they are functioning properly.

5. Is AC induction harmful to the environment?

AC induction can be harmful to the environment if it is not properly contained or disposed of. The components used in AC induction systems, such as copper and other metals, can have negative effects on the environment if they are released into the environment through improper disposal.