Question about notation on derivatives

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of dot notation for derivatives, specifically in relation to finding the acceleration at a specific time. It also mentions alternative notations for derivatives and clarifies the meaning of v(t), v(2), v'(t), and v'(2).
GreenPrint

Homework Statement

If I'm asked to find the acceleration at t=2 s I can just put the X with two dots on top of it parentheses(2 s)?
X(2) = what ever I calculate it being equal to

that's all I have to put right the X with two dots indicated the derivative of x( distance) the two dots indicating the second derivative acceleration

If I wanted to show like I don't know the first derivative of volume with reference of time I can just put V with a dot above it right i don't have to put V = volume or X = displacement next to it right?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
or do I have to put the v with a dot above it to indicate the first derivative of velocity with parentheses (2) next to it instead right becaues that would be more correct?

GreenPrint said:

Homework Statement

If I'm asked to find the acceleration at t=2 s I can just put the X with two dots on top of it parentheses(2 s)?
X(2) = what ever I calculate it being equal to

that's all I have to put right the X with two dots indicated the derivative of x( distance) the two dots indicating the second derivative acceleration

If I wanted to show like I don't know the first derivative of volume with reference of time I can just put V with a dot above it right i don't have to put V = volume or X = displacement next to it right?
I have no idea what you're trying to get across in about half of what you wrote.

The dot notation for derivative is due to Newton, who always used it to mean derivative with respect to time. Another notation uses a prime symbol (') to indicate a derivative (not necessarily with respect to time).

Leibniz's notation uses differentials, with dy/dt meaning the derivative of y with respect to t.

Since it's difficult to put one or more dots above a letter without doing something fancy in LaTeX, why bother with the dot notation?

GreenPrint said:
or do I have to put the v with a dot above it to indicate the first derivative of velocity with parentheses (2) next to it instead right becaues that would be more correct?

v(t) represents the velocity at an arbitrary time t.
v(2) represents the velocity at time 2, in whatever time units are being used.
v'(t) is the derivative of the velocity with respect to t (i.e., the acceleration) at an arbitrary time t.
v'(2) is the derivative of the velocity with respect to t (i.e., the acceleration) at time 2.

Thanks I just wanted to make sure...

What is the meaning of the notation "dy/dx" in derivatives?

The notation "dy/dx" represents the derivative of the function y with respect to the variable x. It is read as "the derivative of y with respect to x" or "the rate of change of y with respect to x".

How is the notation "df(x)/dx" different from "dy/dx"?

The notation "df(x)/dx" is used when the function f is explicitly given, while "dy/dx" is used when the function y is defined implicitly. In other words, "df(x)/dx" represents the derivative of the function f with respect to the variable x, while "dy/dx" represents the derivative of the function y with respect to the variable x.

What does the notation "d²y/dx²" mean in derivatives?

The notation "d²y/dx²" represents the second derivative of the function y with respect to x. It is read as "the second derivative of y with respect to x" or "the rate of change of the rate of change of y with respect to x".

Why do we use Leibniz's notation for derivatives?

Leibniz's notation for derivatives is a compact and intuitive way to represent the concept of a derivative. It also allows us to easily differentiate between the independent and dependent variables in a function, making it useful in more complex mathematical expressions.

Can derivatives be applied to any function?

Yes, derivatives can be applied to any function as long as the function is continuous and differentiable. In other words, the function must have a smooth and non-discontinuous graph in order for derivatives to be calculated.