On the radius of convergence of a power series

In summary, the question is about why a power series must have a radius of convergence and if it is possible for it to have a larger range of convergence in a different direction. The answer is no, as shown by the Cauchy-Hadamard theorem. The beauty of complex analysis lies in its application of the ratio test, which determines the convergence or divergence of a power series based on the limit of the ratio of consecutive terms. The root test can also be used for the same purpose. Thank you to all who provided helpful explanations.
piggees
Hi, I'm new here. I am curious that why a power series must have a radius of convergence? I mean, even in a complex plane, there is always a so-called convergent radius for a power series. Is it possible that a power series is convergent for a certain range in one direction, and for an apparent shorter/longer range in some other direction? So far all the textbooks I read do not give lessons over this question. Any answer or hint or instruction will be much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
The answer is no, it can't have a larger range of convergence in a different direction. The relevant theorem is the Cauchy-Hadamard theorem. Lots of links on the internet, one of which is:

http://eom.springer.de/c/c020870.htm

This is a really great question, though. Its answer is part of the beauty of complex analysis.

It is, basically, an application of the "ratio test".

If [itex]f(z)= \sum a_n(z- z_0)^n[/itex]] then the series converges, absolutely, as long as
[tex]\lim_{n\to\infty}\frac{|a_{n+1}(z- z_0)^{n+1}|}{|a_n (z- z_0)^n|}[/tex][tex]= |z- z_0|\lim_{n\to\infty}\frac{a_{n+1}{a_n}|< 1[/tex]
and diverges if that limit is larger than 1.

As long as
[tex]\lim_{n\to\infty}\frac{a_{n+1}}{a_n}= A[/tex]
exists, then we have that the power series converges for
[tex]|z- z_0|< \frac{1}{A}[/tex]
and diverges for
[tex]|z- z_0|> \frac{1}{A}[/tex]

You can get the same result by using the root test instead of the ratio test:
[itex]\sum a_n (z- z_0)^n[/itex] converges absolutely as long as
[tex]\lim_{n\to\infty}\left(a_n(z- z_0)^n)^{1/n}= \left(\lim_{n\to\infty}\sqrt[n]{a_n}\right)|z- z_0|[/tex]
is less than 1.

thank you all for the replies. That does help.

OK, I think I get it. Thank you.

1. What is the radius of convergence of a power series?

The radius of convergence of a power series is a value that determines the range of inputs for which the series will converge. It is represented by the letter R and can be calculated using the ratio test or the root test.

2. How is the radius of convergence calculated?

The radius of convergence can be calculated using the ratio test or the root test. The ratio test involves taking the limit of the absolute value of the ratio of consecutive terms in the series. If this limit is less than 1, then the series converges. The root test involves taking the limit of the nth root of the absolute value of each term. If this limit is less than 1, then the series converges.

3. What does it mean if the radius of convergence is 0?

If the radius of convergence is 0, then the series only converges at the center point of the series. This means that the series will not converge for any other input values.

4. Can the radius of convergence be negative?

No, the radius of convergence cannot be negative. It is always a positive value or infinity.

5. What is the significance of the radius of convergence?

The radius of convergence is important because it tells us the range of input values for which the power series will converge. It also helps us determine the convergence or divergence of the series at the endpoints of the interval of convergence.