Final Velocity with barely anything AP Phys help

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of trigonometry to calculate the velocity of a "BB" gun when fired at a 28 degree angle above the horizontal. The gun strikes a target 1.6 meters above and 12.8 meters to the right of the muzzle of the gun. The conversation suggests two methods for solving the problem: using a trajectory equation and relating the horizontal and vertical velocities through the angle they make. It also raises questions about the accuracy of the angle and the usefulness of an equation for vertical distance.
anshu
A boy fires a "BB" gun at an angle of 28o above the horizontal. The "BB" strikes a target that is a vertical distance of 1.6 meters above and 12.8 meters to the right of the muzzle (exit point) of the gun. Assuming the bullet has a negative vertical velocity when it strikes the target, calculate the bullet's velocity when it leaves the gun.

i tried everything that i could think of, using trig to figure out

Vx=Vy/tan(28) and therefore Vy/tan(28)=12.8

anything that i would plug into the y=VoT + 1/2(a)(Tsqrd) i would get a negative square root

Thanks in Advance
Anshu

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF Anshu...

Well the obvious line of attack for such a problem would be to write the expressions for the horizontal and vertical distances in terms of time and eliminate time to get a trajectory equation of the form,

[tex]y - y_{0} = (x-x_{0})\tan \alpha -\frac{1}{2}\frac{g(x-x_{0})^{2}}{V_{0}^2}\sec^2\alpha[/tex]

and then plug in all that you have to solve for the initial velocity. (First, try and derive the above equation to convince yourself that it is true).

The other method is to solve for Vx and Vy somehow and relate them through the angle they make. My question here: What do you think the angle between Vx and Vy will be at the time the shot hits the wall? Will it be 28 degrees? Are you sure of that?

Also, you have mentioned an equation for y, the vertical distance. What do you propose to do with it?

Hope that helps...

Cheers
Vivek

Hi Anshu,

First of all, great job in trying to use trigonometry and kinematic equations to solve this problem! It shows that you have a good understanding of the concepts.

To calculate the final velocity of the bullet, we can use the following kinematic equations:

1. Vertical displacement equation: Δy = voyt + 1/2gt^2
2. Horizontal displacement equation: Δx = vox t
3. Vertical velocity equation: voy = voy + gt

Using the given information, we can set up the following equations:

1. Δy = 1.6 m, voy = unknown, t = unknown, g = -9.8 m/s^2 (since the bullet has a negative vertical velocity)
2. Δx = 12.8 m, vox = unknown, t = unknown
3. voy = unknown, voy = unknown, g = -9.8 m/s^2

Now, we can use trigonometry to find the initial vertical and horizontal velocities of the bullet:
voy = vox tan(28)
vox = voy/cos(28)

Substituting these values into the equations above, we get:

1. 1.6 = (voy tan(28))t - 4.9t^2
2. 12.8 = (voy/cos(28))t

Solving for t in the second equation and substituting it into the first equation, we get:

1. 1.6 = (voy tan(28))(12.8/voycos(28)) - 4.9(12.8/voycos(28))^2
2. 1.6 = 12.8tan(28)/cos(28) - 4.9(12.8)^2/voycos^2(28)

Simplifying and solving for voy, we get:
voy = -17.8 m/s (negative sign indicates that the velocity is downwards)

Now, we can use this value of voy to find vox:
vox = voy/cos(28) = -17.8/cos(28) = -20.1 m/s

Therefore, the final velocity of the bullet when it leaves the gun is:
v = √(vox^2 + voy^2) = √((-20.1)^2 + (-17.8)^2) = 26.3 m/s

I

1. What is the formula for calculating final velocity?

The formula for calculating final velocity is v = u + at, where v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time.

2. How do I determine the value of acceleration in a problem?

The value of acceleration can be determined by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. This can be represented by the formula a = (v-u)/t, where a is the acceleration, v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity, and t is the time.

3. Can I use the final velocity formula for objects with constant acceleration only?

Yes, the final velocity formula can only be used for objects with constant acceleration. If the object has varying or non-uniform acceleration, a more complex formula must be used to calculate the final velocity.

4. What are the units of measurement for final velocity?

The units of measurement for final velocity are typically meters per second (m/s). However, it can also be expressed in other units such as kilometers per hour (km/h) or miles per hour (mph).

5. How do I handle negative values in final velocity calculations?

Negative values in final velocity calculations indicate that the object is moving in the opposite direction of its initial velocity. This can be represented by the negative sign in the final velocity formula, v = u + at. It is important to pay attention to the direction of the object's motion when interpreting negative values in final velocity calculations.