Is their a probabilistic to deterministic calculator web abb?

In summary, the conversation revolved around finding a genuine random number generator for a mathematical model involving mutation rates in a hypothetical organism. The person was looking for a program that could handle numbers with a range of 10^9 and produce a single random number. Suggestions were made for using a built-in or downloaded random number generator, but the person expressed a preference for a genuine random number generator. The conversation also discussed the use of pseudo-random number generators and their limitations.
Ryang
Hello. I'm currently making (or attempting to make...) a mathematical model based around mutation in a hypothetical organism (that is, one in which all the mutation rates and genome sizes are known).

I am currently graphing a particular feature of this model, involving mutation rates, but I don't have a 3x108 sided dice to change probabilities into certainties. In order to graph the number of mutations I need to know for certain if a mutation HAS or HASN'T occurred, not its chances of actually happening. Is there any free application which will "throw the dice" for me??

Thanks

Mathematics news on Phys.org
So... you want a random number generator? If you're writing a program in C or Matlab or whatever, they should have a built in random number generator, or a library you can download by googling random number generator. What kind of random number generator do you want? 3x10^8 outcomes with equal probability?

Mute said:
So... you want a random number generator? If you're writing a program in C or Matlab or whatever, they should have a built in random number generator, or a library you can download by googling random number generator. What kind of random number generator do you want? 3x10^8 outcomes with equal probability?

This model is equations and spreadsheets only, and I no little about programming. Anyway, I need a genuine random number generator, not an periodic psuedorandom code-based number generator (One I was using seemed to repeatedly give me numbers over ^6, never below).

I found one genuine random number generator, Random.org, which is handy, but it can't handle numbers over ^8, which is unfortunate as I need one that can handle ^9 :(.

I just need a program that will randomly generate one number between 1 and 3,000,000,000.

Ryang said:
I need a genuine random number generator, not an periodic psuedorandom code-based number generator (One I was using seemed to repeatedly give me numbers over ^6, never below)
I doubt whether being pseudorandom causes this. Did you check thousands of values for the few which would be less than 1000000?

Ryang said:
This model is equations and spreadsheets only, and I no little about programming. Anyway, I need a genuine random number generator, not an periodic psuedorandom code-based number generator (One I was using seemed to repeatedly give me numbers over ^6, never below).

I found one genuine random number generator, Random.org, which is handy, but it can't handle numbers over ^8, which is unfortunate as I need one that can handle ^9 :(.

I just need a program that will randomly generate one number between 1 and 3,000,000,000.

I don't see why a pseudo-random number generator would be a problem. I've never heard of anyone having to use a genuine random number generator. If your pseudo RNG isn't giving you what you expect, you might be using it wrong or using one with a range of values not suitable for your purposes.

[strike]As for the RNG you were using, you can choose to get integers between 0 and ~10^8, so you could always just multiply every result you get by 10. This increases the mean and standard deviation, but if the numbers are close to uniformly distributed it doesn't matter.[/strike] Scratch that, that only works for real numbers. For integers you'd lose 1 to 9.

Last edited:

1. What is a probabilistic to deterministic calculator web app?

A probabilistic to deterministic calculator web app is a tool that converts probabilistic data into deterministic data. This means that it takes uncertain or random data and produces a definitive or precise result. This can be useful in various fields such as statistics, finance, and engineering.

2. How does a probabilistic to deterministic calculator web app work?

A probabilistic to deterministic calculator web app uses mathematical algorithms and statistical methods to analyze and convert probabilistic data. It takes into account factors such as the probability distribution, sample size, and confidence level to produce a deterministic result.

3. What are the benefits of using a probabilistic to deterministic calculator web app?

There are several benefits to using a probabilistic to deterministic calculator web app. It can help reduce uncertainty and make data more accurate and reliable. It can also save time and effort in manually converting probabilistic data. Additionally, it can provide insights and predictions based on the converted data.

4. Are there any limitations to using a probabilistic to deterministic calculator web app?

While a probabilistic to deterministic calculator web app can be a useful tool, it is important to note that it is not a perfect solution. It relies on assumptions and simplifications, and may not always produce accurate results. It is important to understand the limitations and use the tool appropriately.

5. Can I use a probabilistic to deterministic calculator web app for any type of data?

The type of data that can be converted using a probabilistic to deterministic calculator web app depends on the specific tool being used. Some calculators may be designed for specific types of data, while others may be more versatile. It is important to check the capabilities of the tool before use.