Biophysics Majors: When Your School Doesn't Offer One

In summary, an undergraduate who majors in physics and does research in a biophysics group should be able to get into a top 20 graduate school.
DBTS
My school does not have a "biophysics" major and I wanted to major in biophysics as that is a field I want to head into. With only about 8 more classes to complete a major in physics (from PSEO to college courses, I took more physics classes than not), should I just tack that on with my biology major?

I am not trying to impress anyone, just that the school does not offer the interdisciplinary program as a major.

Physics news on Phys.org
So you want to double major in physics and biology because you want to get into the biophysics field? Sounds like you put 2 and 2 together quite nicely.

I mean, if I have taken a lot of physics classes and am majoring in biology, would I necessarily have to also major in physics in order to be accepted into graduate school under that program (biophysics)?

You should contact universities you are interested in attending for questions like that. The biomedical undergraduate program at our university seems more heavily focused on the biology so if I had to guess, I would say the biology degree + physics courses by themselves are good enough. Though a second degree certainly won't hurt. Contact programs you are interested in though to see what they want

The biophysics program at my university was in the physics dept; you didn't need any biology background to get into it, only physics. That's not the case at other schools. You should look up programs you're interested in at schools you're interested in and find out what they require.

DBTS said:
I mean, if I have taken a lot of physics classes and am majoring in biology, would I necessarily have to also major in physics in order to be accepted into graduate school under that program (biophysics)?

If possible, double major in physics and biology + research experience in a biophy group may be the best.

I know an undergrad who major in physics, and did his research in a biophysics group. It seems there is no problem for him to get a top 20 grad school. Of course, he has good GPA and so on.

Biophysics is usually a physics sub-field and if you want to go to graduate school for physics, you will more than likely need to have completed an undergradute physics degree.

Check out the admission requirements to the programs you're interested in though. It would be a shame to waste a year on something you don't need.

1. What is biophysics?

Biophysics is a field of study that combines principles and techniques from physics and biology to understand the physical processes and mechanisms of living organisms. It involves using mathematical and computational tools to analyze and explain biological systems at the molecular, cellular, and organismal levels.

2. Why is biophysics an important field of study?

Biophysics plays a crucial role in advancing our understanding of biological systems and processes. It helps us unravel the complex mechanisms of life, from the molecular interactions inside cells to the behavior of organisms. Biophysics also has practical applications, such as in healthcare, drug development, and biotechnology.

3. What career options are available for biophysics majors?

Biophysics majors can pursue various careers in research, healthcare, academia, and industry. Some common job titles include biophysicist, research scientist, medical physicist, data analyst, and science writer. Biophysics majors also have the option to continue their education and pursue graduate degrees in related fields.

4. What should I do if my school doesn't offer a biophysics major?

If your school doesn't offer a biophysics major, you can still gain relevant knowledge and skills by taking courses in biology, physics, and mathematics. You can also seek out research opportunities or internships in biophysics-related fields to gain practical experience. Additionally, you can consider transferring to a school that offers a biophysics major.

5. Is a biophysics major suitable for me?

A biophysics major is a great choice for students interested in both physics and biology. It requires a solid foundation in mathematics and science, as well as critical thinking and problem-solving skills. If you enjoy studying the physical and chemical processes of living organisms and have a passion for research and innovation, then a biophysics major may be a good fit for you.