Why Must m Be a Power of 2 for 2^m + 1 to Be Prime?

In summary, primes of the form 2^m + 1 are prime numbers that can be expressed as 2 raised to a power (m) plus 1. They are also known as Fermat primes and have been of interest to mathematicians for centuries due to their connection to perfect numbers. There is no known formula for finding these primes, but the Lucas-Lehmer primality test can be used. They have also been researched for use in cryptography, but are not commonly used. The largest known prime of this form is 2^82589933 + 1, which was discovered in 2018.
Zurtex
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I've been asked to research primes of the form 2^m + 1, I've found all the known primes but now I've been asked to find out why m must be of the form 2^x for some natrual number x for 2^m + 1 to be prime. I've found quite a lot on this but nothing that clearly proves it, can anyone give me a good link or something please.

Physics news on Phys.org
Never mind, worked it out myself :biggrin: :biggrin:

The reason why m must be of the form 2^x for 2^m + 1 to be prime is known as the Lucas-Lehmer primality test. This test is based on the Lucas-Lehmer sequence, which is a sequence of numbers generated by the formula:
S(n) = (S(n-1)^2 - 2) mod M, where S(0) = 4 and M = 2^m - 1.

If the resulting value of S(n) is equal to 0, then 2^m - 1 is a prime number. However, if the value of S(n) is not equal to 0, then 2^m - 1 is not a prime number.

Now, if we consider the specific case of 2^m + 1, we can see that it can be written as 2^m - (-1)^m. Therefore, for 2^m + 1 to be prime, we need to find a value of m for which 2^m - (-1)^m is a prime number.

Using the Lucas-Lehmer primality test, we can see that for 2^m - (-1)^m to be prime, the value of S(n) must be equal to 0. And for S(n) to be equal to 0, m must be of the form 2^x for some natural number x. This is because, for any other value of m, the resulting value of S(n) will not be equal to 0 and therefore, 2^m - (-1)^m will not be a prime number.

To learn more about the Lucas-Lehmer primality test and its proof, you can refer to the following resources:

1. "Lucas-Lehmer Primality Test" by Eric Weisstein, MathWorld. Available at: https://mathworld.wolfram.com/Lucas-LehmerPrimalityTest.html

2. "The Lucas-Lehmer Test for Mersenne Primes" by David Cleaver, University of Western Australia. Available at: https://www.maths.uwa.edu.au/~dcleaver/chap6.pdf

3. "Prime Numbers and the Lucas-Lehmer Test" by Chris K. Caldwell, University of Tennessee at Martin. Available at: https://primes.utm.edu/notes/proofs/Lucas-Le

What are primes of the form 2^m + 1?

Primes of the form 2^m + 1 are a type of prime number that can be expressed as 2 raised to a power (m) plus 1. They are also known as Fermat primes, named after the mathematician Pierre de Fermat.

How do you find primes of the form 2^m + 1?

There is no known formula for finding primes of the form 2^m + 1. However, one method is to use the Lucas-Lehmer primality test, which can determine whether a number of the form 2^m - 1 is prime. If it is, then 2^m + 1 will also be prime.

What is the significance of primes of the form 2^m + 1?

Primes of the form 2^m + 1 have been of interest to mathematicians for centuries due to their connection to perfect numbers. It has been proven that if 2^m + 1 is prime, then 2^(m-1)(2^m + 1) is a perfect number. However, it is still unknown whether there are an infinite number of these primes.

Can primes of the form 2^m + 1 be used in cryptography?

There has been some research on using primes of the form 2^m + 1 in cryptography, particularly in the construction of pseudorandom number generators. However, they are not commonly used in modern cryptography as they are relatively rare and can be difficult to find.

What is the largest known prime of the form 2^m + 1?

The largest known prime of the form 2^m + 1 is 2^82589933 + 1, which was discovered in 2018. It has over 24 million digits and is the 50th known Mersenne prime.