Modified nodal analysis with Voltage Controlled Voltage Source

In summary, when asked to place voltage-controlled voltage sources (VCVS) or voltage-controlled current sources (VCCS) instead of resistors, you need to add extra rows and columns to the matrix of admittances (Y) or conductances (G). For voltage-controlled sources, an additional equation is needed to relate the voltage drop in the source and the node voltages, while for current sources, a single additional equation is needed to relate the node voltages and the control parameter.
MNodalA
hi, i got a question about mna. i know how to write matrixes with(out) voltage source but i don't know what i should do when my instructor askes me placing vcvs or vccs instead of any resistor. i have lecture notes for vcvs ust like;

Vpq=u(mu)*Vkl

i should add extra rows and cols. to matrix of Y (or G, i don't know how you call it) but how?

by the way, i also want to know a way of doing same thing to voltage controlled current source.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
For voltage/current controlled voltage source, just write down an additional equation relating the voltage drop in the voltage source and node voltages, plus another additional equation relating the node voltages and the control parameter.

For a current source, you only need to write down another additional equation relating the node voltages and the control parameter.

1. What is Modified Nodal Analysis (MNA)?

Modified Nodal Analysis (MNA) is a circuit analysis technique used in electronic engineering to model and analyze complex electrical networks. It is an extension of the nodal analysis method, which is used to solve circuit equations by applying Kirchhoff's Current Law at each node in the circuit. MNA takes into account the presence of voltage controlled voltage sources, which are often used in electronic circuits.

2. How does MNA handle voltage controlled voltage sources?

MNA handles voltage controlled voltage sources by representing them as a controlled branch between two nodes in the circuit. This allows for the voltage source to be included in the circuit equations and solved for, just like any other component in the circuit.

3. What are the advantages of using MNA with voltage controlled voltage sources?

MNA with voltage controlled voltage sources allows for a more accurate and comprehensive analysis of complex circuits. It also simplifies the circuit equations, making them easier to solve. Additionally, MNA can handle circuits with multiple voltage controlled voltage sources, which can be challenging to analyze using other methods.

4. Are there any limitations to using MNA with voltage controlled voltage sources?

One limitation of MNA with voltage controlled voltage sources is that it can only be used for linear circuits, meaning that all components in the circuit must have linear voltage-current characteristics. Additionally, MNA can become computationally intensive for large circuits with many voltage controlled voltage sources, which can slow down the analysis process.

5. How is MNA with voltage controlled voltage sources applied in real-world circuits?

MNA with voltage controlled voltage sources is commonly used in the design and analysis of electronic circuits, such as amplifiers, filters, and other analog circuits. It is also used in simulation software, such as SPICE, to accurately model and simulate the behavior of complex circuits. In industries such as aerospace and automotive, MNA is used to analyze and optimize the performance of electronic systems and components.