Closed loop vs open loop resistance magnet drop demo

In summary, the conversation revolved around the demonstration of a magnet falling slower in a copper pipe than expected. The question was raised about whether a closed loop configuration of insulated copper wire would also affect the fall rate of the magnet. The intuition was that the electron flow in the closed loop would create its own magnetic field, further reducing the fall rate. However, there was no explanation given for the slower fall rate in the copper pipe and it was noted that an open loop would behave similarly. The guess was that the closed loop would create an opposing current, contributing to the slower fall rate.
Robin Hooper
Hello everyone, curious about something here.

I saw a demonstration lately were a magnet was dropped down a copper pipe and the magnet dropped very much slower than expected. What I got to thinking was, if you replaced the copper pipe with the same quantity of insulated copper wire in a closed loop configuration and compared the fall rate to an open loop setup. Would the magnet fall slower in a closed loop than the open loop setup? My intuition would say that the closed loop coil would farther reduce the fall rate because you now have electron flow(current) which would setup its own magnetic field adding to the resistance of the copper wire.

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Did anyone offer an explanation of why the magnet fell slower in the copper tube. Do you have any idea? What is your guess about why an open loop or closed loop may affect the magnet differently?

skeptic2 said:
Did anyone offer an explanation of why the magnet fell slower in the copper tube. Do you have any idea? What is your guess about why an open loop or closed loop may affect the magnet differently?

No, I was just a passer by, I had no oppertunity to ask. I understand that the magnetic field behaves much like when you run your open hand though water, there is a resistance felt. An open loop would be very much like the copper tube, magnetic field going through copper. I suspect that a closed loop would setup an opposing current futher reducing the fall rate in addition to the magnet moving through the copper, but that would just be a guess.

What is the "Closed loop vs open loop resistance magnet drop demo"?

The "Closed loop vs open loop resistance magnet drop demo" is a scientific experiment that demonstrates the differences between closed loop and open loop resistance in a circuit using a magnet. It involves dropping a magnet through a copper pipe and measuring the time it takes to fall through the pipe in both a closed loop and open loop circuit.

What is closed loop resistance?

Closed loop resistance refers to the resistance in a circuit where the current flows through a continuous path with no breaks or gaps. In the "Closed loop vs open loop resistance magnet drop demo", this is represented by the copper pipe that the magnet falls through.

What is open loop resistance?

Open loop resistance refers to the resistance in a circuit where the current flows through a non-continuous path with breaks or gaps. In the "Closed loop vs open loop resistance magnet drop demo", this is represented by the gap in the copper pipe where the magnet falls through.

What is the purpose of the "Closed loop vs open loop resistance magnet drop demo"?

The purpose of this experiment is to demonstrate the concept of closed loop and open loop resistance in a circuit and how it affects the flow of current. It also helps to understand the difference in resistance between a continuous path and a non-continuous path in a circuit.

What are the main takeaways from the "Closed loop vs open loop resistance magnet drop demo"?

The main takeaways from this experiment include understanding the difference between closed loop and open loop resistance, and how it affects the flow of current. It also shows the importance of a continuous path in a circuit for efficient current flow. Additionally, it helps to understand the concept of resistance and its role in electrical circuits.