Is it possible? If so, provide an example. If not, prove it

• Thread starter rollinthedeep
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Example
In summary, there is a continuous function g: Q x Q --> R with g(0,0)=0 and g(1,1)=1, but no x,y\in Q such that g(x,y)=1/2. This is a counterexample to the intermediate value theorem for rational numbers, showing that they are not suitable for analysis. A clue to solving this problem is recognizing that the square root of 1/2 is irrational.
rollinthedeep

Homework Statement

A continuous function g: Q x Q --> R such that g(0,0)=0 and g(1,1)=1, but there does not exist any x,y\in Q such that g(x,y)=1/2

Homework Equations

Mean value theorem?

The Attempt at a Solution

I want to say no, because I'm sure there's something going on because the domain is not R x R...but I can't put my finger on it. Any advice?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know if I say something meaningful here, but first of all:
- may we first think of a [tex]\mathbb{Q} \rightarrow \mathbb{R}[/tex] application ? It looks simpler and it could provide a useful mind training.

So that, if I let [tex]g(x)=(x+ \pi) [/tex], there's no way to make [tex]g(x)= {1 \over 2}[/tex].

[tex] \pi [/tex] is irrational, it has infinite figures, so there's no way to make a rational x to cancel out all the decimals of [tex] \pi [/tex].

I think the whole two-variables thing is a bit of a red herring, so to make things a bit more transparent, rephrase the question by letting g(x,y)=f((x+y)/2).

We're after f:Q-->R with f(0)=0 and f(1)=1, and no x with f(x)=1/2. We can actually do much better and have function Q-->Q. This is an excercise in showing that rational numbers are rubbish for analysis: it's a counterexample to the intermediate value theorem for Q.

Here's a clue: what's the square root of 1/2?

henry_m said:
I think the whole two-variables thing is a bit of a red herring, so to make things a bit more transparent, rephrase the question by letting g(x,y)=f((x+y)/2).

We're after f:Q-->R with f(0)=0 and f(1)=1, and no x with f(x)=1/2. We can actually do much better and have function Q-->Q. This is an excercise in showing that rational numbers are rubbish for analysis: it's a counterexample to the intermediate value theorem for Q.

Here's a clue: what's the square root of 1/2?

[tex]1 \over \sqrt2[/tex]

Let me say:[tex] f(x) = x^2[/tex]

[tex] f(0) = 0 [/tex]
[tex] f(1) = 1 [/tex]
[tex] f(x) = 1/2 , x [/tex] is irrational

Is there a way to prove it beyond just giving a counterexample?

A counterexample is how you prove a general statement is NOT true.

But it's not a general statement. It says to give an example if it is possible...so not for all, just there exists...don't I have to do more to prove it isn't possible at all?

Nevermind, I read it wrong. Thanks so much for your help!

Thread locked.

Last edited:

Is it possible to travel faster than the speed of light?

No, according to Einstein's theory of relativity, it is impossible to travel faster than the speed of light. It is a fundamental law of physics and has been consistently proven through experiments and observations.

Can we clone humans?

Yes, it is possible to clone humans, but it is a highly controversial topic and currently banned in many countries. The most famous example of human cloning is Dolly the sheep, which was successfully cloned in 1996.

Is there life on other planets?

It is possible that there is life on other planets, but we have not yet found any solid evidence to prove it. Scientists continue to search for signs of life in our solar system and beyond.

Can we time travel?

There are currently no scientific theories or evidence that suggest time travel is possible. While it may be a common trope in science fiction, time travel is still considered to be impossible by most scientists.

Is it possible to cure all diseases?

While advancements in medicine have greatly increased our ability to treat and manage diseases, it is highly unlikely that we will ever be able to cure all diseases. Many diseases are caused by complex factors and can constantly evolve, making it difficult to find a universal cure.