Raising Chickens: Baby Chicks to ½ Grown

• Thread starter dlgoff
  • Start date
In summary, this conversation is about chickens and their progress. The thread starter posted a picture of baby chicks and other members shared pictures and stories of their own chickens. They discussed the different breeds and behaviors of chickens and even the reasons why non-fertilized eggs are still laid. Some members also shared funny stories about their experiences with chickens. The conversation ends with a compliment on the poster's brood of chickens.
What kind of ducks?

Physics news on Phys.org
I bought them at Tractor Supply Co and asked but they didn't know.

What "come hither" eyes. :!)

If you want to see a wild game of "keep away" toss a grape in with a bunch of chickens. They love watermelon too, preferably sliced not tossed.:tongue:

Evo said:
What kind of ducks?

Those be Mallard ducklin's. My mammy used to buy 'em.

At my brother's place. I think there are a couple of ducks in the coop as well.

They also have 18 sheep and two llamas.

Attachments

• Chickens.jpg
    Chickens.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 362
Astronuc said:
At my brother's place. I think there are a couple of ducks in the coop as well.

They also have 18 sheep and two llamas.
Nice. They must have more than 5 acres. :)

One duck for the possum, one duck for the owl, and this one for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
I heard a description of chickens that made me think of you, Don: Pets with benefits :biggrin:.

lisab said:
I heard a description of chickens that made me think of you, Don: Pets with benefits :biggrin:.
Since this photo of Duck/Buddy; yea. He follows me like a dog and if I get out of his sight for a minute, he cries like a baby. Damn thing wants to come in the house with me. So far he only nibbles on me when I not moving and working on something outside. Must be his way of showing affection?

Marry me dl!

dlgoff said:
Since this photo of Duck/Buddy; yea. He follows me like a dog and if I get out of his sight for a minute, he cries like a baby. Damn thing wants to come in the house with me. So far he only nibbles on me when I not moving and working on something outside. Must be his way of showing affection?

Um... That's a girl duck, d.

Girl, Boy, still Duck and Buddy to me. Gooood Duck. :approve:

Evo said:
Marry me dl!
Think for a minute. Ducks in our bedroom? :bugeye:

dlgoff said:
Think for a minute. Ducks in our bedroom? :bugeye:
The more the merrier!

Evo said:
The more the merrier!

:rofl: :rofl::wink:

Buddy's my buddy. Here's her home and pool.

dlgoff said:

OMG! That duck has more luxuries than I do!

Voice inside Om's head said:
But you've got a boat, Om.

But that duck is a boat. And an Airplane!

I've decided to renounce my Agnosto-Judeo-Christian-Muslim-Buddhist faith, and become a Hindu.

I want to be a duck in my next lifetime. The perfect being.

Namaste

-------------------------
ps. That is a most ingenious use of inverted stair runners. Have you patented the idea? Can I invest in your company?

dlgoff said:

Aww it's nice to be Buddy the duck.

Did the other ducks live?

Evo said:
Did the other ducks live?
No. Critters. :mad:

dlgoff said:
No. Critters. :mad:
:cry:

Just went back and now understand the possum and owl reference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwSKkKrUzUk

:smile:

lisab said:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwSKkKrUzUk

:smile:

So down to Earth Lisab. :approve:

There's no time for raising chicken, dl! Come to chat! :biggrin:

Speaking of critters, I came round the corner of my house to see a mink chasing my chickens. The mink is maybe 1/3 the size of a chicken but they're good predators.

Don, do any of your hens stop laying for about a week, with no obvious reason?

lisab said:
Don, do any of your hens stop laying for about a week, with no obvious reason?
I've noticed them not laying for a few days when the temperatures get high/hot; especially when they are nearing the end of their laying life (~2 good years). Also, the type of food will cause them to miss a day or two. However, I don't think I've had one stop for a week then begin again.

Which brings up Roger who tapered off laying then stopped completely. She laid good for two years, including winters. She got really mean after she stopped. Just recently she was keeping the other young hens from drinking and in my aggravation I tossed her out of the coup. I'm sorry to report (Evo) that I forgot to put her back in and the next morning...feathers, lots.

RIP Roger :cry:

dlgoff said:
I've noticed them not laying for a few days when the temperatures get high/hot; especially when they are nearing the end of their laying life (~2 good years). Also, the type of food will cause them to miss a day or two. However, I don't think I've had one stop for a week then begin again.

Which brings up Roger who tapered off laying then stopped completely. She laid good for two years, including winters. She got really mean after she stopped. Just recently she was keeping the other young hens from drinking and in my aggravation I tossed her out of the coup. I'm sorry to report (Evo) that I forgot to put her back in and the next morning...feathers, lots.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSvblJ-fBJLUYz1RXuc7A3z1UuahC0S3pFPVkVWw1KEkBens3g7myMosHnd.jpg

You're becoming a true rancher, Don!

lisab said:
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSvblJ-fBJLUYz1RXuc7A3z1UuahC0S3pFPVkVWw1KEkBens3g7myMosHnd.jpg

You're becoming a true rancher, Don!
I think I have a little chicken in my blood. My first chicken experiences came from my Grandmother before 4yo in Arkansas. She was in charge of the chicken house; feeding, collecting eggs, and ringing necks (she fried some damn good chicken too). Much later after moving to Kansas, I would visit an uncle who raised fryers for Tyson. In the end, he operated 7 houses that could hold 20-30k chickens each; but that's another story. It wasn't until my late 30s that I started having a few layers around. Never rang a neck though. :redface:

dlgoff said:

NOOOOO! OMG! NOOOOOOOO.

ROGER! :cry:

I threw up. I'm devastated. ROGER! I can't stop crying.

Dl, can we have another Roger?

Sure. How about Roger Too?

dlgoff said:
sure. How about roger too?
yes!

Was she just outside on her own?