I was watching Stephen Hawking Into the universe and he was talking

In summary, the conversation revolved around the concept of time travel and its relation to mass and gravity. The individual speculated that if time travel into the future is possible, then it would prove that time is a physical phenomenon and not just a human-made paradox. They presented their own equation, "E=mc2 = The rate of T," to explain how mass affects time. However, other participants in the conversation pointed out that the equation is not accurate and that mass bends the curvature of space-time. They also discussed the possibility of time dilation and how it can happen without large masses, as well as the controversial topic of time perception in humans. The conversation also touched on the idea of traveling to the past and the potential role of general
Redwit
I was watching Stephen Hawking Into the universe and he was talking about time travel.
So I got to thinking if time travel into the future is possible then that would mean time isn't a paradox mankind made up and it is physical. Not sure if the formula is even any where right but this is what I've came up with.. E=mc2 = The rate of T. Basically The more mass something has the greater it affects time. Tell me what you think and let me know if I'm completely wrong.

Space news on Phys.org

It's fun to speculate but your reasonng needs a more solid foundation.

Mass does affect time through gravity. But your equations aren't correct.

If I was to sit at the base of something that was let's say 20 million tones. If I was to look out after sitting there sometime it would look like everything farther away was moving just a little bit faster and the same in reverse. Because the mass is so great as you said gravity affects time so that still makes time real and not a paradox right? Just like time would move faster in space then Earth and time would run in a blink of an eye in some cases.

It will never happen that you look at your watch and see it running too fast or slow. It will always seem to run correctly because it's very close to you. But things that are further away and near immense sources of gravity would look like they are running differently.

20 million tones would do nothing though. It's way too small.

Yes, your watch wouldn't drift in time because your still on Earth and yes 20 million would be to small you affect the watch but in a small way it would affect you. That just goes into the math of mc2= rate of time. Time moves at the rate of the objects gravity = the objects mass.

Last edited:

"mc2=rate of time" is not right, just say instead: mass bends the curvature of space-time.
Also, In special relativity, time dilation can happen even without large masses.
In special relativity, you can "travel into the future", in the sense that if you took off in a rocket and returned to earth, you would have aged slightly less than the people on earth.
I've been told that there is no physical law that says you can't visit yourself in the past, (but of course, this would create paradoxes.) General relativity may permit this kind of "time-travel" by wormholes, or a circular space-time of some sort. But testing these possibilities is not something scientists can do today.

I know the mc2= the rate of time isn't the right I'm just wondering if it can be proven. Just the idea that time is a real thing and not a paradox. I agree with the traveling in the future but the only way to would to reach just under the speed of light which would affect time itself but how can you affect time if time isn't real? I believe everything everywhere has time. The 4th dimension isn't just a mankind paradox. I imagine that the word itself of course would be different. Mars is smaller then Earth so time would run slower there because the gravity less? more mass = more gravity = slower time. Just like a black hole would have a massive gravitational pull so time itself would slow then stop at the center.

Time in physics IS a real thing.
Time as experienced by humans is a controversial topic. For example at the instant when someone misses a step on the stairs, that person might feel that time slows down.
Clearly, in this example, physical time hasn't slowed down, but the human perception has.
So time in physics and time in human perception are two unrelated phenomena, IMO

Redwit said:
Mars is smaller then Earth so time would run slower there because the gravity less?
Time on Mars will be affected about as much as high altitude on Earth, like in the ISS. The astronauts in orbit on the ISS and any on Mars experience time slightly faster than on Earth, but the dilation factor is vanishingly small - on the order of a billionth, or one second over 30 years, or 3 years over the entire lifetime of the Earth.
Here's an old thread:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=40391.

Last edited:

So that would mean the more mass something has the more it affects time? This is all I'm wondering if I'm right in some way or another or on the right track or completely wrong. If I'm dead wrong that's okay because asking the question is the most important part.

Yeah, the greater the density, the more it curves space-time. That's the basic idea. I don't know much more on the subject of general relativity, but I do know a bit about special relativity.

so from our perspective, a watch that started falling toward a black hole would start to slow.

BruceW said:
so from our perspective, a watch that started falling toward a black hole would start to slow.

Yes.

1. Who is Stephen Hawking and why is he important in the field of science?

Stephen Hawking was a renowned British physicist and cosmologist who made significant contributions to the fields of general relativity and quantum mechanics. He is best known for his work on black holes, the Big Bang theory, and the search for a unified theory of physics. He also popularized science through his books and lectures, making complex scientific concepts accessible to the general public.

2. What is the TV series "Into the Universe with Stephen Hawking" about?

"Into the Universe with Stephen Hawking" is a documentary series hosted by Hawking that explores some of the most fascinating and mind-boggling topics in the universe, such as the origin of the universe, the existence of alien life, and the possibility of time travel. The series uses cutting-edge computer graphics and interviews with leading scientists to explain complex concepts and theories.

3. What are some key ideas or theories that Hawking discusses in the TV series?

Hawking discusses a wide range of topics in the series, including the Big Bang theory, black holes, the search for extraterrestrial life, the nature of time, and the possibility of a unified theory of physics. He also explores the implications of these theories for humanity and our understanding of the universe.

4. How accurate is the information presented in the TV series?

The information presented in the TV series is based on scientific research and theories, and is generally accurate. However, some concepts and theories may still be under debate and further research is needed to fully understand them. It is also important to note that the series aims to make complex scientific concepts accessible to a general audience, so some simplifications may have been made for the sake of clarity.

5. What impact has Stephen Hawking's work had on the scientific community?

Stephen Hawking's work has had a profound impact on the scientific community, particularly in the fields of cosmology and theoretical physics. His research has advanced our understanding of the universe and has paved the way for further discoveries. He has also inspired and influenced countless scientists and students through his groundbreaking work and popularization of science.