Help, find a statement using a truth table

In summary, the conversation is about finding a statement in a given truth table and expressing it in symbolic form. The suggestion is to use a big "or" statement to cover all the cases where the statement is true, and then simplify it. It is unclear whether the person is studying logic in a mathematics or engineering course.
jhlee127
i don't understand how i can find a statement in given truth table.

p | q | r | S |
==========
T | T | T | F|
T |T | F | T |
T | F | T | T |
T | F | F | F |
F | T | T | T |
F | T | F | F |
F | F | T | T |
F | F | F | F |

please help me.

Physics news on Phys.org
jhlee127 said:
i don't understand how i can find a statement in given truth table.
I assume you mean "I don't understand how to express the statement S in symbolic form when given the following truth table."

If you can't make a clever guess for S, you could simply write it as a big "or" statement containing all the cases when it is true:

[itex] S \equiv (p \land q \land \lnot r) \lor (p \land \lnot q \land r) \lor ...[/itex] etc.

then try to simplify the symbolic statement.

Are you studying logic in course on mathematics or are you studying logic in an engineering course in order to design logic circuits?

What is a truth table?

A truth table is a mathematical table used to determine the truth values of compound statements based on the truth values of their individual components. It lists all possible combinations of truth values for the variables in a given statement and shows the resulting truth value for the entire statement.

How do I use a truth table to find a statement?

To find a statement using a truth table, you will first need to list out all possible combinations of truth values for the variables in your statement. Then, apply the logical operators (AND, OR, NOT) to determine the truth value for each combination. The resulting truth value for each combination will form the statement.

What is the purpose of using a truth table to find a statement?

The purpose of using a truth table to find a statement is to determine the logical relationship between the variables in a compound statement. It helps to identify when the statement is true or false and can be used in various fields such as mathematics, computer science, and philosophy.

Are there any limitations to using a truth table to find a statement?

Yes, there are limitations to using a truth table to find a statement. It is only applicable to statements that involve a small number of variables. As the number of variables increases, the number of rows in the truth table also increases exponentially, making it difficult to use for more complex statements.

Can a truth table be used to prove the validity of an argument?

Yes, a truth table can be used to prove the validity of an argument. If all possible combinations of truth values for the variables in the argument result in a true statement, then the argument is considered logically valid. However, if there is at least one combination that results in a false statement, then the argument is considered invalid.