Eigenvalues and Eigenstates of Spin Operator

In summary, the conversation is about finding the eigenvalues and corresponding eigenstates of a spin 1/2 particle in an arbitrary direction using the Pauli Matrices. The person discussing the problem has solved it by expressing the Pauli matrices in their matrix form and then solving the eigenvalue equation, but is wondering if there is a quicker or more efficient method. The response is that there are tricks that can be used in special cases, but in general, the direct method is the most efficient way to solve these types of problems.
thepopasmurf
I'm not exactly looking for help finding the eigenvalues of the spin operator, I'm mainly wondering if there is a better technique to do it.

Homework Statement

Find the eigenvalues and corresponding eigenstates of a spin 1/2 particle in an arbitrary direction (θ,[itex]\phi[/itex]) using the Pauli Matrices

Homework Equations

Spin operator in arbitrary direction:
n.[itex]\sigma[/itex] = [itex]\hbar[/itex]/2(cos[itex]\phi[/itex]sin[itex]\theta[/itex][itex]\sigma_x[/itex] + sin[itex]\phi[/itex]sin[itex]\theta[/itex][itex]\sigma_y[/itex]+cos[itex]\theta\sigma_z[/itex])

[itex]\sigma_x[/itex],[itex]\sigma_y[/itex],[itex]\sigma_z/[itex] are the Pauli spin matrices.

The Attempt at a Solution

The way I did it was to express the pauli matrices in their matrix form, sum up the expression to get one matrix, then solve the eigenvalue equation
n.[itex]\sigma[/itex][itex]\Psi[/itex] = [itex]\lambda[/itex][itex]\Psi[/itex].

This gives me the answer [itex]\pm[/itex][itex]\hbar[/itex]/2

My question is: Is there a better/quicker way to do this (and problems similar to this) without having to solve the eigenvalue equation directly? I have other similar questions where solving the eigenvalue equation becomes long and tedious.

Physics news on Phys.org
What you've done is the "direct" way to solve these problems. There are tricks you can use in special cases, but I'm not sure if it's possible to make it much easier in general. You could use a coordinate system which is rotated such that the z axis lies along the direction [itex]\hat{n}[/itex], so that the spin operator is just [itex]\sigma_z[/itex]. For this you would have to use the rotation matrix that converts [itex]\Psi[/itex] into the new coordinate system, [itex]\exp[i\theta(\sigma_y\cos\phi + \sigma_x\sin\phi)/2][/itex] (or something like that).

1. What are eigenvalues and eigenstates of spin operator?

Eigenvalues and eigenstates of spin operator are mathematical properties of a quantum mechanical system that describe the possible values and states of a particle's spin. The spin operator is a mathematical operator that represents the angular momentum of a particle, and its eigenvalues and eigenstates determine the possible outcomes of measuring the particle's spin.

2. How do eigenvalues and eigenstates of spin operator relate to quantum mechanics?

Eigenvalues and eigenstates of spin operator are fundamental concepts in quantum mechanics. They are used to describe the behavior of particles at the subatomic level and are essential in understanding the quantum properties of particles such as spin, angular momentum, and energy.

3. What is the significance of the eigenvalues and eigenstates of spin operator?

The eigenvalues and eigenstates of spin operator have several important applications in quantum mechanics. They are used to calculate the probabilities of different outcomes in spin measurements, and they provide information about the properties and behavior of particles at the quantum level.

4. How can we determine the eigenvalues and eigenstates of spin operator experimentally?

The eigenvalues and eigenstates of spin operator can be determined experimentally through various techniques such as electron spin resonance, nuclear magnetic resonance, and quantum computing. These methods involve manipulating and measuring the spin of particles to determine their eigenvalues and eigenstates.

5. Can the eigenvalues and eigenstates of spin operator change over time?

Yes, the eigenvalues and eigenstates of spin operator can change over time. This is because the spin of a particle can change when it interacts with other particles or fields. The change in spin results in a change in the eigenvalues and eigenstates of spin operator, which can be observed through spin measurements.