Friction, Statics, Finding maximum angle and minimum coefficient of friction

In summary, to determine the largest angle θ and the minimum coefficient of static friction at A for the roller to remain self-locking, draw a clear free body diagram and use the equations of static equilibrium while considering extreme cases and the direction of friction forces.
papasmurf

Homework Statement

If the coefficient of static friction at B is μs = 0.3, determine the largest angle
θ, and the minimum coefficient of static friction at A, so that the roller remains self-
locking, regardless of the magnitude of the force P applied to the belt. Neglect the weight
of the roller and neglect friction between belt and vertical surface.

Homework Equations

ƩM=0
ƩFx=0
ƩFy=0
FAANA
FBBNB=0.3NB

The Attempt at a Solution

I have attempted the solution quite a few times a couple of different ways. I keep getting stuck with variables that I can't solve for, so I have come to the conclusion that I am probably not going about it the right way. My first attempt, I took the moment about A, and then summed up the forces in the x and y directions, but wound up not being able to solve for θ or μA. I attached an attempt at a free body diagram, perhaps I don't have the friction forces going in the right direction? I would appreciate any help!

Attachments

• FBD.gif
    FBD.gif
    7.4 KB · Views: 782
Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your question. Solving for the largest angle θ and the minimum coefficient of static friction at A can be a bit tricky, but here are some tips that may help you:

1. Draw a clear and accurate free body diagram: Make sure to include all the forces acting on the roller, including the unknown forces. In this case, the forces would be P, the normal force at A (NA), and the normal force at B (NB).

2. Use the equations of static equilibrium: As you mentioned, the equations of static equilibrium are ΣM = 0, ΣFx = 0, and ΣFy = 0. These equations will help you solve for the unknown forces and angles.

3. Consider the maximum and minimum values: Remember that you are looking for the largest angle and the minimum coefficient of static friction. This means that you will need to consider extreme cases where these values are at their maximum or minimum.

4. Think about the direction of the friction forces: In your free body diagram, the direction of the friction forces should be such that they oppose the motion of the roller, which in this case is clockwise. This means that the friction force at A should be pointing to the left, and the friction force at B should be pointing downwards.

I hope these tips will help you in solving the problem. If you are still having trouble, you can also try reaching out to your classmates or your instructor for additional help. Good luck!

1. What is friction and why is it important?

Friction is the force that resists the motion of two surfaces that are in contact with each other. It is important because it helps us to walk, hold objects, and operate various machines and vehicles.

2. How is static friction different from kinetic friction?

Static friction is the friction that exists between two surfaces that are not moving relative to each other, while kinetic friction is the friction that exists between two surfaces that are in motion relative to each other.

3. How do you calculate the maximum angle at which an object will stay stationary on an inclined plane?

The maximum angle at which an object will stay stationary on an inclined plane is determined by the coefficient of static friction between the object and the surface of the plane. It can be calculated using the equation: θ = tan^-1(μ), where μ is the coefficient of static friction.

4. What is the minimum coefficient of friction required for an object to remain stationary on an inclined plane?

The minimum coefficient of friction required for an object to remain stationary on an inclined plane is equal to the tangent of the angle of the plane. This can be represented by the equation: μ > tan(θ), where μ is the coefficient of friction and θ is the angle of the plane.

5. How does the weight of an object affect the coefficient of friction?

The weight of an object does not directly affect the coefficient of friction. However, the normal force between the object and the surface does, and the normal force is dependent on the weight of the object. As the weight of the object increases, so does the normal force, resulting in a higher coefficient of friction.