Velocity of falling object from different heights using DE

In summary: Therefore, the final equation becomes:\displaystyle \frac{1}{mg-Kv^2}=\frac{1}{Kmg}\, \left(\frac{1}{2(1+u)+1}{2(1-u)}\right)\,.
sunnyceej

Homework Statement

Find the velocity of a 180 lb object falling from a state of rest from 5 ft, 15 ft, 25 ft, and 45 ft

Homework Equations

using the formula f=mg-Kv2, where g is the acceleration due to gravity, m the mass of the body, v its velocity. The terminal velocity is 120mph.

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried using f=m(dv/dt) so m(dv/dt)=mg-Kv2, since mg = 180 and I know terminal velocity, I converted 120mph to fps and got k=1.614E-6. Using g=32fps2, I got m=5.6. Then dividing by m, I get dv/dx=32 -1.614E-6v^2/5.6.

I've used Kinematic equations to get times at all of the heights, and from there I can get velocity, but none of this considers the drag, or uses the equation I was given.

I have no idea how to use the equation I was given to get the velocity for the different heights or times. The equation doesn't seem separable, or like I could use an integrating factor. I've tired Bernoulli's method too. None of them seem to help solve the problem.
Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
sunnyceej said:

Homework Statement

Find the velocity of a 180 lb object falling from a state of rest from 5 ft, 15 ft, 25 ft, and 45 ft

Homework Equations

using the formula f=mg-Kv2, where g is the acceleration due to gravity, m the mass of the body, v its velocity. The terminal velocity is 120mph.

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried using f=m(dv/dt) so m(dv/dt)=mg-Kv2, since mg = 180 and I know terminal velocity, I converted 120mph to fps and got k=1.614E-6. Using g=32fps2, I got m=5.6. Then dividing by m, I get dv/dx=32 -1.614E-6v^2/5.6.

I've used Kinematic equations to get times at all of the heights, and from there I can get velocity, but none of this considers the drag, or uses the equation I was given.

I have no idea how to use the equation I was given to get the velocity for the different heights or times. The equation doesn't seem separable, or like I could use an integrating factor. I've tired Bernoulli's method too. None of them seem to help solve the problem.
Please help!
Of course it's separable.

m(dv/dt)=mg-Kv2 → [itex]\displaystyle \frac{dv}{mg-Kv^2}=\frac{dt}{m}\,.[/itex]

SammyS said:
Of course it's separable.

m(dv/dt)=mg-Kv2 → [itex]\displaystyle \frac{dv}{mg-Kv^2}=\frac{dt}{m}\,.[/itex]

If mg, and k =1, then I know I would get arctanh v. It's been a while since calc, so I'm not sure what to do with the constants.

My other thought is to go the natural log route:
ln(mg-kv2)=t/m+c
then raising both sides to e:
mg-kv2=cet/m
using v(0)=0 as my initial condition, c=180, and plugging in other values (mentioned in first post) gives me
180-1.614E-6v2=180et/5.6

Am I on the right track?

If so, this gives me time, do I plug in my times from using the Kinematic equations to find the different velocities? My only hesitation here is that the times I found don't take into account the drag force. So, how do I account for the different heights? Or are the height and time interchangeable (can I replace t with h)?

After thinking more, differentiating with respect to height would not change my equation (except from t to h), but my initial value would be different for each height. So I would have a different specific solution for each height.

I'm still curious as to whether I solved the equation correctly though.

sunnyceej said:
If mg, and k =1, then I know I would get arctanh v. It's been a while since calc, so I'm not sure what to do with the constants.

My other thought is to go the natural log route:
ln(mg-kv2)=t/m+c
then raising both sides to e:
mg-kv2=cet/m
using v(0)=0 as my initial condition, c=180, and plugging in other values (mentioned in first post) gives me
180-1.614E-6v2=180et/5.6

Am I on the right track?

If so, this gives me time, do I plug in my times from using the Kinematic equations to find the different velocities? My only hesitation here is that the times I found don't take into account the drag force. So, how do I account for the different heights? Or are the height and time interchangeable (can I replace t with h)?
The constants can be taken care of through substitution.

While the integration can result in an arctanh function, it's fairly straight forward to express it as a sum of logarithms.

To get the integrand into workable form:
[itex]\displaystyle \frac{1}{mg-Kv^2}=\frac{1}{\displaystyle mg\left(1-\frac{K}{mg}v^2\right)}=\frac{1}{\displaystyle mg\left(1-\left(\sqrt{\frac{K}{mg}}v\right)^2\right)}[/itex]​
[itex]\displaystyle \text{Let }u=\sqrt{\frac{K}{mg}}\,v\,,\text{ then }du=\sqrt{\frac{K}{mg}}\ dv\,.[/itex]

The integral then becomes:
[itex]\displaystyle \int \frac{dv}{mg-Kv^2}= \sqrt{\frac{1}{Kmg}}\ \int\frac{du}{1-u^2}\,.[/itex]​

Notice that [itex]\displaystyle\frac{1}{1-u^2}=\frac{1}{2(1+u)}+\frac{1}{2(1-u)}\ .[/itex]

So this gives me
[itex]\int\frac{dv}{mg-kv^{2}}[/itex] = [itex]\int\frac{dt}{m}[/itex]
with u substitution:
[itex]\sqrt{\frac{k}{mg}v}[/itex]([itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex][itex]\int\frac{du}{1+u}[/itex] + [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex][itex]\int\frac{du}{1-u}[/itex]) = [itex]\int\frac{dt}{m}[/itex]

becomes

[itex]\sqrt{\frac{k}{mg}v}(\frac{1}{2}[/itex]ln[itex]\left|1+u\right|[/itex] + [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]ln[itex]\left|1-u\right|[/itex]) = [itex]\frac{t}{m}[/itex]+c

then
[itex]\sqrt{\frac{k}{mg}v}(ln\sqrt{1+u}[/itex]+ln[itex]\sqrt{1-u}[/itex])= [itex]\frac{t}{m}[/itex]+c

[itex]\sqrt{\frac{k}{mg}v}(ln\sqrt{1-u^{2}}[/itex])=[itex]\frac{t}{m}[/itex]+c

and finally sub back in for u to get:
[itex]\sqrt{\frac{k}{mg}v}*ln\sqrt{1-\frac{k}{mg}v^{2}}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{t}{m}[/itex]+c

Is this right?

Last edited:
sunnyceej said:
So this gives me
[itex]\int\frac{dv}{mg-kv^{2}}[/itex] = [itex]\int\frac{dt}{m}[/itex]
with u substitution:
[itex]\sqrt{\frac{k}{mg}v}[/itex]([itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex][itex]\int\frac{du}{1+u}[/itex] + [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex][itex]\int\frac{du}{1-u}[/itex]) = [itex]\int\frac{dt}{m}[/itex]

becomes

[itex]\sqrt{\frac{k}{mg}v}(\frac{1}{2}[/itex]ln[itex]\left|1+u\right|[/itex] + [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]ln[itex]\left|1-u\right|[/itex]) = [itex]\frac{t}{m}[/itex]+c

That should be a minus sign.

[itex]\displaystyle\sqrt{\frac{k}{mg}v}(\frac{1}{2}[/itex]ln[itex]\left|1+u\right|[/itex] [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]ln[itex]\left|1-u\right|[/itex]) = [itex]\frac{t}{m}[/itex]+c

Ok. I see why. I also now see why I should have 1/[itex]\sqrt{kmg}[/itex] in front instead of what I had.

So I now have [itex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{kmg}}[/itex][itex]\left(ln\sqrt{1+u}-ln\sqrt{1-u}\right)[/itex]=[itex]\frac{t}{m}+c[/itex]

[itex]\left(ln\sqrt{1+u}-ln\sqrt{1-u}\right)[/itex]=[itex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{kmg}}[/itex][itex]\left(\frac{t}{m}+c\right)[/itex]

e[itex]^{ln\sqrt{1+u}}[/itex]e[itex]^{-ln\sqrt{1-u}}[/itex]=ce[itex]^{\frac{t\sqrt{kmg}}{m}}[/itex]

e[itex]^{ln\sqrt{1+\sqrt{\frac{k}{mg}}v}}[/itex]e[itex]^{-ln\sqrt{1-\sqrt{\frac{k}{mg}}v}}[/itex]=ce[itex]^{\frac{t\sqrt{kmg}}{m}}[/itex]

Last edited:
With the initial condition: v(0)=0, c=1 and
e[itex]^{ln\sqrt{1+\sqrt{\frac{k}{mg}v}}}[/itex]e[itex]^{-ln\sqrt{1+\sqrt{\frac{k}{mg}v}}}[/itex]=e[itex]^{\frac{t\sqrt{kmg}}{m}}[/itex]

This gives me velocity if I know time, but I know height instead. How do I figure that into my problem?

sunnyceej said:
With the initial condition: v(0)=0, c=1 and
e[itex]^{ln\sqrt{1+\sqrt{\frac{k}{mg}v}}}[/itex]e[itex]^{-ln\sqrt{1+\sqrt{\frac{k}{mg}v}}}[/itex]=e[itex]^{\frac{t\sqrt{kmg}}{m}}[/itex]

This gives me velocity if I know time, but I know height instead. How do I figure that into my problem?
OK.

Let's go back & start from scratch.

You have:
[itex]\displaystyle m(dv/dt)=mg-Kv^2\,.[/itex]​
If v is regarded to be a function of x rather than a function of t, use the chain rule.

[itex]\displaystyle \frac{dv}{dt}=\frac{dv}{dx}\frac{dx}{dt}=v\frac{dv}{dx}[/itex]

So your differential equation becomes:
[itex]\displaystyle mv\frac{dv}{dx}=mg-Kv^2\,.[/itex]​
After separation of variables, this looks easier to integrate than the initial differential equation.

Thanks. That is a lot easier to integrate. After integrating, I get

v2=[itex]\frac{mg}{k}[/itex]-ce[itex]^{\frac{2kx}{m}}[/itex]

with initial value V(0)=0, I get c=[itex]\frac{mg}{k}[/itex]

so v=[itex]\sqrt{\frac{mg}{k}\left(1-e^{\frac{2kx}{m}}\right)}[/itex]

x would have to represent the height fallen, and it will have to be negative, otherwise I get an imaginary number.

Is this right?

Thanks for all your help SammyS!

sunnyceej said:
Thanks. That is a lot easier to integrate. After integrating, I get

v2=[itex]\frac{mg}{k}[/itex]-ce[itex]^{\frac{2kx}{m}}[/itex]

with initial value V(0)=0, I get c=[itex]\frac{mg}{k}[/itex]

so v=[itex]\sqrt{\frac{mg}{k}\left(1-e^{\frac{2kx}{m}}\right)}[/itex]

x would have to represent the height fallen, and it will have to be negative, otherwise I get an imaginary number.

Is this right?
Sorry, I didn't get to this yesterday !

I got a similar, but a little different, result.

[itex]\displaystyle v^2=\frac{m}{K}\left(g-Ce^{-(2K/m)x}\right)\,,[/itex] with C = g .

This is the same as what you got except for the sign of the exponent.

I reworked the problem and got a negative exponent as well.
Thanks again for all your help!

1. How does the velocity of a falling object change with different heights using DE?

The velocity of a falling object increases as the height increases. This is due to the force of gravity pulling the object towards the Earth, causing it to accelerate. The rate of acceleration is constant, and therefore the velocity will continue to increase until the object reaches terminal velocity.

2. What is the equation for calculating the velocity of a falling object using DE?

The equation for calculating the velocity of a falling object using DE is V = gt, where V is the velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²), and t is the time in seconds.

3. How does air resistance affect the velocity of a falling object using DE?

Air resistance can affect the velocity of a falling object by slowing it down. This is because as the object moves through the air, the air molecules push against it in the opposite direction of its motion, creating a force known as air resistance. This force increases as the object's velocity increases, eventually reaching a point where it balances out the force of gravity and the object reaches terminal velocity.

4. Can the velocity of a falling object using DE be negative?

Yes, the velocity of a falling object can be negative. This indicates that the object is moving in the opposite direction of its initial velocity. For example, if an object is thrown upwards, its velocity will initially be positive but as it falls back down, its velocity will become negative.

5. How does the mass of a falling object affect its velocity using DE?

The mass of a falling object does not affect its velocity. The acceleration due to gravity is constant for all objects regardless of their mass. However, a heavier object will experience a greater force of gravity, leading to a greater acceleration and therefore a higher velocity compared to a lighter object.