Protecting an LM324 Op-Amp in a Vacuum Tube Deflection Amplifier

In summary: Attach a 2 watt resistor in series with any 1/4 watt resistors to Pin 7 of the Op Amp. Install two transistors one up and one down in parallel from ground to the junction between the two resistors. The 2 watt resistor will limit the current flow and the small resistor will protect the Op Amp output.
Ravaner
Hello. Here joined is the schematic of a small deflection amplifier. Outputs H0 & H1 are connected to electrodes placed in a vacuum volume. These outputs are protected by varistors. High voltage to collectors is 200 V DC. Sometimes, not very often, the head Op-Amp (LM324) is burnt. The only credible cause is an ionization or ESD in the vacuum tube that 'come back' until LM324. I am surprised by the fact that only this Op-Amp is destroyed and absolutely never the HV transistors. What can I do more to protect this Op-Amp ?

Attachments

• Deflex.jpg
    Deflex.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 481
Engineering news on Phys.org
It is very common, I worked with a lot of HV in high vacuum and this happen all the time.

If the op-amp is farther away from the transistor and only the output of the op-amp tie to the transistor, then

First put a 2W resistor of either carbon comp or more expensive Caddock type resistor in series with any 1/4W resistors to pin 7 of the op-amp. Then put two transorbs one up and one down in parallel from ground to the junction between the two resistors. The 2W resistor limit the current, the small resistor protect the op-amp output as the break down voltage of the transorb might not be that accurate and might over the supply voltage of the op-amp. Do the same idea to the other opamp.

If the whole board is on the vacuum flange, you might want to protect the input also. You can use sckottky diode for the input.

This kind of stuff is very common. We always protect the amplifier. We do very high voltage, we even protect the transistors also.

Many many thanks for your answer. At least someone who encountered this kind of trouble. As I am not absolutely sure that I well understood the changes who propose I send a new schematics. Is it correct ? In that case what must be the X value for the 2 W resistor ?

Attachments

• Deflex_1.jpg
    Deflex_1.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 474
No, I'll draw up something in a little bit.

This is what I mean,

151766[/ATTACH]"]
11uj9df.jpg

The transorb is P6KEXX where XX is the voltage. I use MBD301 schottky diode. Do it on the other amp.

Attachments

• 11uj9df.jpg
    11uj9df.jpg
    3 KB · Views: 368
Ok, now it's perfectly clear. Thanks a lot.

Try this first, it is very hard to pin point where the arc come in, you can just try. This is only based on my experience.

1. How does a vacuum tube deflection amplifier work?

A vacuum tube deflection amplifier is a type of circuit that uses vacuum tubes to amplify a small input signal and produce a larger output signal. The amplifier works by using a vacuum tube as an active element that can control the flow of electrons through the circuit. This allows for precise amplification of the input signal.

2. Why is it important to protect the LM324 Op-Amp in a vacuum tube deflection amplifier?

The LM324 Op-Amp is a critical component in a vacuum tube deflection amplifier as it is responsible for amplifying and shaping the input signal. If the Op-Amp is damaged or not properly protected, it can affect the overall performance of the amplifier and potentially cause it to fail.

3. What are some common methods for protecting the LM324 Op-Amp in a vacuum tube deflection amplifier?

There are several ways to protect the LM324 Op-Amp in a vacuum tube deflection amplifier, including using external heat sinks, providing proper grounding, and using surge protectors. Additionally, using proper circuit design and layout techniques can also help to protect the Op-Amp.

4. Can the LM324 Op-Amp be damaged by exposure to vacuum conditions?

Yes, the LM324 Op-Amp can be damaged by exposure to vacuum conditions. The Op-Amp is designed to operate in ambient air conditions and the lack of air molecules in a vacuum can lead to overheating and potential damage. Therefore, it is important to take proper precautions when using the Op-Amp in a vacuum tube deflection amplifier.

5. Are there any alternatives to using the LM324 Op-Amp in a vacuum tube deflection amplifier?

Yes, there are alternative Op-Amps that can be used in a vacuum tube deflection amplifier. Some options include the LM741, LM358, and TL071 Op-Amps. It is important to choose an Op-Amp that is suitable for the specific application and can handle the operating conditions, including exposure to vacuum.

Back