Is a transistor sensing circuit output analogue or digital?

In summary, the conversation discusses the nature of the output from a transistor sensor circuit and whether it is analogue or digital. It is mentioned that a pull up or down resistor may be needed to adjust the intensity of the LED and that the circuit is essentially on and off. It is also noted that the alteration of adding a resistor between the base leg and the 0V rail can reduce the sensitivity of the circuit and make it more suitable for use in brightly lit environments. However, the overall consensus is that whether the circuit is considered analogue or digital depends on the application and perspective.
rollcast
Is the output from a transistor sensor circuit analogue or digital? I know that you sometimes need a pull up or down resistor due to a very small current flowing through the transistor even when it should be off. However, in the circuit shown below for example, is the output signal analogue or digital. I think it should be analogue but the my notes on transistors are in the digital electronics section?

http://www.kpsec.freeuk.com/images/tranldr2.gif

Thanks,
A.

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
It appears that the intention is that the LED is either ON or OFF. So the light intensity (when present) should be sufficient to saturate the transistor. The 10k adjusts so with ambient lighting the transistor is securely off.

NascentOxygen said:
It appears that the intention is that the LED is either ON or OFF. So the light intensity (when present) should be sufficient to saturate the transistor. The 10k adjusts so with ambient lighting the transistor is securely off.

If you where to graph the output of the transistor against increase light intensity would the graph show a distinct point where the transistor "turns on" like an op amp would. Or does it curve up and then level off?

There is no positive feedback, so the transition would be relatively gradual over a narrow band of light intensities.

End result looks pretty digital to me. The transistor has no degeneration resistor at the emitter. The voltage range at the base between the transistor being off or saturation is very small.

Yes, you can balance the input so the transistor is on but not saturated, but it is going to be a very small window. All in all, the circuit is basically on and off to me.

Analogue vs digital is more a description of the way we analyze a circuit than it is a description of the circuit itself.

Take a look at Fairchild AN88. It describes using CMOS logic IC's as linear ampifiers.

http://www.fairchildsemi.com/an/AN/AN-88.pdf

My opinion - "Mother Nature built Her universe analog. Logic is an artifact of thought."

my 2 cents
old jim

yungman said:
End result looks pretty digital to me. The transistor has no degeneration resistor at the emitter. The voltage range at the base between the transistor being off or saturation is very small.

Yes, you can balance the input so the transistor is on but not saturated, but it is going to be a very small window. All in all, the circuit is basically on and off to me.
Yes, it's digital—except for that region where it's not. :smile:

NascentOxygen said:
Yes, it's digital—except for that region where it's not. :smile:

attachment.php?attachmentid=46399&stc=1&d=1334830137.png

Then how does this alteration, adding the resistor between the base leg and the 0V rail reduce the region where its not digital?

Attachments

• Screenshot at 2012-04-19 11:08:13.png
    Screenshot at 2012-04-19 11:08:13.png
    4.9 KB · Views: 869
Lowering the B-E resistor will reduce the sensitivity of the circuit, necessitating a more intense light for the change of state. This might be useful in a brightly lit room, or in sunlight, so that the ambient light does not affect the OFF state.

Like Jim Hardy said, if you really dig deep, everything is analog. It just depend on how you look at it. With your circuits, as long as there is no emitter resistor, the input that the circuit behave as analog in only a very small window, nobody use this as analog where you control the intensity of the LED. Any circuit that looks like this is only designed for on and off.

If you try, you can make analog circuit like op-amp to become a digital inverter. AND some crazy people in music electronics designed a distortion pedal for guitar using CMOS logic inverter gate 4049 and slapped on feed back resistor and use it as a clipping op-amp! It was so funny but it is on a selling product. The point is it can go either way if you try hard enough.

Don't get hung on whether it is digital or analog. Look at the application. No engineer in the right mind using the circuits you draw as analog intensity control no matter you add in more adjustment pots or what. You want analog, you put a resistor between the emitter and ground, then you have a wide window where the LED can be control from dim to bright.

Last edited:

1. What is a transistor sensing circuit?

A transistor sensing circuit is a type of electronic circuit that uses transistors to sense changes in analog signals and convert them into digital signals.

2. How does a transistor sensing circuit work?

A transistor sensing circuit works by using the transistor's ability to amplify and switch electrical signals. The input analog signal causes the transistor to turn on and off, which produces a corresponding digital output signal.

3. Is the output of a transistor sensing circuit analog or digital?

The output of a transistor sensing circuit can be either analog or digital, depending on the design and purpose of the circuit. Some circuits may have a purely digital output, while others may have a combination of analog and digital outputs.

4. What are the advantages of using a transistor sensing circuit?

There are several advantages to using a transistor sensing circuit, including its small size, low power consumption, and high reliability. It is also a versatile circuit that can be used in a wide range of applications.

5. What are the common applications of a transistor sensing circuit?

A transistor sensing circuit is commonly used in electronic devices such as sensors, amplifiers, and switches. It is also used in communication systems, control systems, and measurement instruments.