AM (SSB-SC) Signal Bandwidth 941 kHz 20 Hz-19 kHz

In summary, the bandwidth of an AM signal with a carrier frequency of 941 kHz and a baseband signal that has frequency components from 20 Hz to 19 kHz is around 3 kHz.
qduy
Please help me to find out, what is the bandwidth in (kHz) of an AM (SSB-SC) signal with a carrier frequency of 941 kHz and a baseband signal that has frequency components from 20 Hz to 19 kHz? thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi qduy. Explain what you understand by an AM (SSB-SC) signal.

Single-sideband suppressed-carrier (SSB-SC) is a refinement of amplitude modulation that more efficiently uses electrical power and bandwidth.

qduy said:
Single-sideband suppressed-carrier (SSB-SC) is a refinement of amplitude modulation that more efficiently uses electrical power and bandwidth.
Perfect! :smile:

Now, can you sketch the spectrum of an AM signal having the same carrier and baseband that was specified for this exercise.

I see you are very new to Physics Forums, so welcome!

Maybe you haven't yet learned how to include graphics here, so for your answer I'll also accept a good verbal description of the sketch in question, but please make your answer both clear and concise; we all know a picture is actually worth a thousand words. :wink:

Last edited:
Perhaps start with the diagram for regular AM showing the sidebands and the carrier. Then rub bits off :-)

I did an experiment in school to find the bandwidth of an amplifier with negative feedback.
I cound not get a high enough input voltage with the signal generator. Is a terminal of the signal generator supposed to be connected to the earth?

Bbqonion said:
I did an experiment in school to find the bandwidth of an amplifier with negative feedback.
I cound not get a high enough input voltage with the signal generator. Is a terminal of the signal generator supposed to be connected to the earth?
Hi Bbqonion, welcome to Physics Forums.

It is best that you start a new thread for your question, as it is not a continuation of the thread you have piggy-backed onto.
... supposed to be connected to the earth?
By "the earth" do you mean that big asteroid sort of thing inhabited by simians? Then the answer is no. Not directly.

At the output of your signal generator are two terminals, one being the signal itself and the other being the generator circuit's earth—its zero volt level. Both terminals need to be connected to the amplifier under test, with the signal generator Earth connecting to your amplifier circuit earth, so that all voltages are referenced to a common zero volt level.

Usually the output terminals of the signal are combined into one as a coaxial socket, so connection of both takes places simultaneously, and the user doesn't have to remember to make two connections.

If you overlook that common Earth connection, then a tiny level of signal may still get through due to some capacitive coupling, but expect to have it swamped by local noise and powerline hum (50Hz/60Hz).

What is an AM (SSB-SC) signal?

An AM (SSB-SC) signal is a type of amplitude modulation where the carrier signal is suppressed, leaving only the upper or lower sideband. This results in a more efficient use of bandwidth compared to traditional AM signals.

What is the bandwidth of an AM (SSB-SC) signal with a carrier frequency of 941 kHz?

The bandwidth of an AM (SSB-SC) signal with a carrier frequency of 941 kHz is 19 kHz, as only one sideband is transmitted and the bandwidth of each sideband is half of the original bandwidth.

How is the bandwidth of an AM (SSB-SC) signal calculated?

The bandwidth of an AM (SSB-SC) signal is calculated by subtracting the carrier frequency from the highest frequency in the signal, and then multiplying by two to account for both the upper and lower sidebands. In this case, the calculation would be (19 kHz - 941 kHz) x 2 = 19 kHz.

What is the purpose of using a 20 Hz to 19 kHz bandwidth for an AM (SSB-SC) signal?

The purpose of using a 20 Hz to 19 kHz bandwidth for an AM (SSB-SC) signal is to allow for the transmission of a wide range of frequencies, including the audio frequencies that make up human speech and music. This allows for clear and accurate reproduction of sound signals.

How does the bandwidth of an AM (SSB-SC) signal compare to other types of modulation?

The bandwidth of an AM (SSB-SC) signal is narrower compared to traditional AM signals, which typically have a bandwidth of 20 kHz. It is also narrower than FM signals, which have a bandwidth of up to 200 kHz. This means that AM (SSB-SC) signals require less bandwidth and can be used more efficiently in the frequency spectrum.