Basic Power Supply: Design & Connections

In summary, a power supply needs a 220V AC wall socket, a transformer, rectifier, capacitor, and voltage regulator. The voltage can be adjusted with a potentiometer. If the power supply is unregulated, then placing a pot in the circuit will vary the output voltage. Putting in a regulator will still give good control, but the voltage will not depend on the load current. Safety considerations include finding out and correctly applying wiring regulations that are applicable to your country.
XwyhyX
Hi, I have to build a very basic power supply, basically from a 220V AC Wall socket to a certain DC Voltage as the output. I plan on using a transformer, rectifier,capacitor and a voltage regulator. I can see that following this design it can only give out one value of voltage. I thought of inserting a potentiometer so that if the transformer gives out 24V AC i can adjust the output voltage with values from 0-24V which would run almost all DC devices.

My question is, can i just place the pot between the transformer and the rectifier? Or maybe its better if its placed after the regulator? Will there be a difference if the pot is placed in different places since all that is being done with the signal is conversion?

All I have is my tablet right now so here's a pretty rough sketch

I know it's very basic and all, i just wanted to clear things out as much as possible before i get to working on it

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1342333218.982412.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1342333218.982412.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 462
Engineering news on Phys.org
You will have to consider how much power dissipation you will have in the potentiometer.

You can get voltage regulators which are variable output types.

These have a pot in the circuit which is used to adjust the voltage

One of these is the LM317K but there are others.

Here is a circuit for an LM317K:
lm-317-regulator-IC-power-supply-circuit.jpg

You can read the article about this here:
http://www.electronicecircuits.com/electronic-circuits/lm-317-power-supply
This includes the component values for the circuit.

You can download data sheets for this and other variable regulators by searching on Google.
This is a good source of data sheets:
http://www.datasheetpro.com

XwyhyX said:
My question is, can i just place the pot between the transformer and the rectifier? Or maybe its better if its placed after the regulator? Will there be a difference if the pot is placed in different places since all that is being done with the signal is conversion?

If you follow a variable voltage control with a regulator (as in the diagram) the regulator will do its best to nullify any change in voltage (until the volts become too low, when the regulator will be turned 'hard on'). The more elegant way would be to use a variable regulator, for which there are many circuit designs.

XwyhyX said:
Hi, I have to build a very basic power supply, basically from a 220V AC Wall socket to a certain DC Voltage as the output. I plan on using a transformer, rectifier,capacitor and a voltage regulator. I can see that following this design it can only give out one value of voltage. I thought of inserting a potentiometer so that if the transformer gives out 24V AC i can adjust the output voltage with values from 0-24V which would run almost all DC devices.

All I have is my tablet right now so here's a pretty rough sketch

I know it's very basic and all, i just wanted to clear things out as much as possible before i get to working on it

Your sketch omits some important things if you are going to be connecting to 230Vrms. Notice that there is a fuse in post #3? What other things must you do when connecting to 230Vrms?

What experience do you have so far in dealing with high voltages?

Last edited:
If the supply is unregulated, then putting a pot in the circuit will vary the output voltage, but the voltage will vary with load current.

Putting in a regulator, as in post #3 above, will still give you good control, but the voltage will not depend on the load current.
The regulator circuit has a pot shown as R3 in the diagram. This varies the output voltage.

You should also look for a regulator circuit which let's you set a current limit. This would mean you can short circuit the output accidentally and not destroy the power supply or blow a fuse.

Safety. You should find out and correctly apply the wiring regulations that are applicable to your country.

In my country, it is not legal for anyone except a licensed electical worker to wire the mains voltage side of any equipment. This includes replacing a damaged plug or cable.

Nobody will come and check this, but if someone did this illegally and started a fire or injured someone, then they could have an insurance claim rejected or end up in court.

Magazines take the pragmatic view that since everyone does it anyway, then they choose to show exactly how it is done properly and freely discuss the reasons for proper earthing, correct polarity on the plug, fuses, anchoring of cables etc.

berkeman said:
What other things must you do when connecting to 230Vrms?

I was wondering if you knew of a list of best practices when making a quick and dirty power supply for the lab. Basically just safety related stuff.

I know when selling a power supply there is a whole host of things one must do which include important things like voltage surge protection, missing cycle hold up, power factor correction and the requirements for filters to reduce conducted THD, etc.

For quick and dirty, low power (<10W) experiments I would like to ignore all that.

But at the same time I don't want to make an unsafe circuit. Usually all I do here is add an appropriate input fuse and Earth ground the isolated secondary side via the third prong (I am in the US).

So I am wondering if there are important things that I am neglecting to do.

At one time, every piece of domestic electronics, whether home made or bought, had its own internal power supply. Nowadays, it's far cheaper to use the black wall wart style units. I'd bet that the transformer, alone would cost more than a ready made unit for low power requirements.
Quick and dirty is only a good solution when it's also cheap.

Indeed, a s Sophie said it's the easiest. Thrift stores are full of wall warts usually under a dollar.

I don't disagree. And if the project board needs 5V and a few watts, don't bother with a wall wart, just buy a USB plug.

But let's presume there is a good reason to build your own AC:DC. Say for example the goal was to build the AC:DC itself.

What safety requirements should the circuit adhere to for the typical hobbyist then?

A double insulated and encapsulated transformer. A strong plastic box that the heavy transformer won't crack if the PSU lands on the floor. A strong cable termination for the mains lead. Over-specified parts such as the transformer, diodes, resistors and capacitors. A fuse on the input to the transformer and one on the output. A thermal cut-out. This is the price you need to pay for peace of mind when you make something yourself and when you haven't a lot of experience.

I'd add a Ground Fault Interruptor outlet to plug the whole thing into.
That will help protect the users if there is a glitch.

1. What is a basic power supply and why is it important?

A basic power supply is a device that converts alternating current (AC) from a power source into direct current (DC) to power electronic devices. It is important because most electronic devices require DC power to function, and a power supply ensures a steady and reliable flow of electricity.

2. How do I choose the right power supply for my electronic device?

The first step is to determine the power requirements of your device, including the voltage and current. Then, choose a power supply that can provide the necessary voltage and current, with some additional margin for safety. You should also consider the physical size and form factor of the power supply to ensure it can fit within your device.

3. Can I connect multiple devices to one power supply?

Yes, you can connect multiple devices to one power supply as long as the power supply can provide enough voltage and current for all of the devices. However, it is important to properly calculate and distribute the power to each device to avoid overloading the power supply.

4. What is the difference between a linear and a switching power supply?

A linear power supply uses a transformer to step down the voltage, while a switching power supply uses a switching regulator to convert the voltage. Linear power supplies are simpler and cheaper, but less efficient and generate more heat. Switching power supplies are more complex and expensive, but more efficient and produce less heat.

5. How do I properly connect a power supply to my electronic device?

First, ensure that the voltage and current output of the power supply match the requirements of your device. Then, connect the positive (red) wire to the positive terminal of your device and the negative (black) wire to the negative terminal. Make sure all connections are secure and insulated to avoid any electrical hazards. Finally, turn on the power supply and test the output voltage to ensure it is within the desired range.