Creating Graphs for CIE LCH Colour System

In summary: In Google Sheets, you can create a 2D scatter plot with the hue (h) value on the x-axis and the lightness (l) value on the y-axis.
demander
Hi, some time passed since the last time I posted here, hope everything is fine around here.
I would like to know if someone knows the best and fastest way to make the kind of graphs for CIE LCH colour System.

The CIE LCH colour system is defined in polar coordinates, the hue (h) value is a value that goes from 0 to 360 degrees and c(chroma) it's the radius and can shift from 0 to 100. There is another coordinate lightness, but for now the ones that matter to me are the other two, to create a 2D graph not a 3D one. With excel I was allowed to make this plot, with a macro called pollarplotter from Andy Popper. The only problem is that seems to be hard to make on that macro multiples series of data as i need to do.

What I wanted is to make a circular graph with point from a total of 11 series of data that has two coordinates: one from angle that goes from 0 to 360, and a radius that can go from 0 to 100, which allows to see the difference between 11 series(in my work 11different colours).

in attachment i will put a picture of what CIE LCH is, so it can become more clearier what I wish to do, than with words that can be mispelled (as I'm not a current english speaker)

Hope I could explain properly what I need. Thanks in advance for any answer.

Attachments

• lch_colourspace.jpg
    lch_colourspace.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 1,920
Physics news on Phys.org
There are a few ways to make a graph for the CIE LCH color system. One option is to use a plotting software such as Matplotlib in Python. With Matplotlib, you can create a polar plot of your 11 series data with the hue (h) value as the angle and the chroma (c) value as the radius. You can also use other chart creation programs such as Microsoft Excel or Google Sheets to create a graph that represents the CIE LCH color system. In Excel, you can create a 2D scatter plot with the hue (h) value on the x-axis and the chroma (c) value on the y-axis. You can also use the built-in "Polar Plot" chart type to create a graph that represents the CIE LCH color system.

1. What is the CIE LCH colour system?

The CIE LCH colour system is a way of representing colours in a three-dimensional space based on the three attributes of hue, chroma, and lightness. It was developed by the International Commission on Illumination (CIE) to provide a more uniform and perceptually relevant way of describing colors.

2. How do I create a graph for the CIE LCH colour system?

To create a graph for the CIE LCH colour system, you will need to use a software program or tool that supports this colour space. Some popular options include Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign. These programs have built-in tools for creating and manipulating colours in the CIE LCH colour space.

3. What is the purpose of creating graphs for the CIE LCH colour system?

The purpose of creating graphs for the CIE LCH colour system is to visually represent the attributes of hue, chroma, and lightness for a particular colour. This can be useful for comparing and analyzing different colours, as well as for creating colour schemes and palettes.

4. Are there any limitations to creating graphs for the CIE LCH colour system?

One limitation of creating graphs for the CIE LCH colour system is that it is based on a theoretical model of human colour perception and may not accurately represent how individuals perceive colours in real life. Additionally, the range of colours that can be accurately represented in the CIE LCH colour space is limited, so some colours may not be accurately depicted in a graph.

5. Can I convert colours from other colour spaces to the CIE LCH colour system?

Yes, it is possible to convert colours from other colour spaces, such as RGB or CMYK, to the CIE LCH colour system. However, the conversion process may result in some loss of accuracy and may not accurately represent the original colour. It is recommended to use a software program or tool specifically designed for colour conversions to ensure the most accurate results.