Are Six-Figure Salaries Common in Engineering Fields for Industrial Mathematicians Specialized in Nonlinear PDEs?

In summary, a senior in college is preparing to apply for grad school at UIC and wants to pursue a PhD in Nonlinear PDEs with applications to mechanical engineering, civil engineering, applied mechanics, or material science. They are curious about the salary potential for senior positions in these fields and the value of an industrial mathematician. Their research has shown a mixed picture and they are seeking further help. The response is that, based on personal experience, senior professionals in these fields can indeed earn six figure salaries, but it ultimately depends on the individual's value and ability to think like an entrepreneur. Education is not a guarantee and one must bring value to the table in order to be employed. Real life is not about knowledge, but about how one
ideaspace
I am a senior in college, and I am getting ready to apply for grad school @ UIC. I want to get a PhD in Nonlinear PDEs with applications to mechanical engineering, civil engineering, applied mechanics, or material science. I like all 4, but I need to know if people in these areas of study are payed six figures for senior positions, and how valuable would an industrial mathematician be in these fields. I've been doing a lot of research on this issue, and the data I have seen paints a skethcy picture. Can anyone help me out ? THANKS.

Physics news on Phys.org
ideaspace said:
I am a senior in college, and I am getting ready to apply for grad school @ UIC. I want to get a PhD in Nonlinear PDEs with applications to mechanical engineering, civil engineering, applied mechanics, or material science. I like all 4, but I need to know if people in these areas of study are payed six figures for senior positions, and how valuable would an industrial mathematician be in these fields. I've been doing a lot of research on this issue, and the data I have seen paints a sketchy picture. Can anyone help me out ? THANKS.
Based on personal experience - yes. Senior professionals in those 4 areas are compensated along the lines as one's query - at least those with whom I am familiar.

ideaspace said:
...I need to know if people in these areas of study are payed six figures for senior positions, and how valuable would an industrial mathematician be in these fields. I've been doing a lot of research on this issue, and the data I have seen paints a skethcy picture. Can anyone help me out ? THANKS.

Can a senior industrial mathematician be paid six figure salaries? Sure. Will YOU be paid a six figure salary? That's a different story. The sketchy picture you see is because you need to think like an entrepreneur --and not everyone does.

Please don't take this the wrong way, BUT:

1) Education doesn't entitle you to anything.
2) At the end of the day, you need to bring a commensurate value to the table, or you won't be employed.
3) This is not some damned merit badge. Real life is not about what you know. It's about what you DO with with you know.

Well put Jake.

First of all, congratulations on your senior year and your plans for graduate school at UIC! Pursuing a PhD in Nonlinear PDEs with applications to various engineering fields is a great choice, as it combines both theoretical and practical aspects of science and technology.

In terms of salary and job prospects, it is important to note that both physics and engineering are broad and diverse fields, and salaries can vary greatly depending on the specific job and industry. Generally, senior positions in engineering fields can have six-figure salaries, but this also depends on factors such as location, company size, and years of experience.

As for the value of an industrial mathematician in these fields, I believe it can be quite significant. With the increasing use of advanced mathematical techniques in engineering, having a strong background in nonlinear PDEs can be highly valuable in fields such as mechanical engineering, civil engineering, applied mechanics, and material science. It can also open up opportunities for interdisciplinary collaborations and research.

I would recommend reaching out to professionals and researchers in these fields to gain a better understanding of the job market and potential career paths. Additionally, your graduate program and advisor can also provide valuable insights and guidance on this matter.

Overall, I believe that with a PhD in Nonlinear PDEs and a strong foundation in engineering, you will have a wide range of career opportunities and the potential for a successful and fulfilling career. Best of luck in your future endeavors!

What is the difference between Physics and Engineering?

Physics is a branch of science that deals with the study of matter and energy, their interactions, and the laws that govern them. Engineering is the application of scientific and mathematical principles to design, develop, and maintain structures, machines, devices, systems, and processes.

Can a physicist become an engineer?

Yes, a physicist can become an engineer by obtaining the necessary education and training in engineering principles and practices. However, a physicist may have to undergo further training and gain practical experience to become a competent engineer.

Is a degree in Physics useful for a career in Engineering?

Yes, a degree in Physics can be useful for a career in Engineering as it provides a strong foundation in mathematical and scientific principles, which are essential for engineering. A physicist can also specialize in a particular field of engineering by obtaining a master's degree or a Ph.D. in that area.

Which is more important, Physics or Engineering?

Both Physics and Engineering are equally important as they complement each other. Physics provides the fundamental knowledge and principles that are necessary for understanding and solving engineering problems. On the other hand, Engineering applies these principles to create practical solutions for real-world problems.

Can you be a physicist and an engineer at the same time?

Yes, it is possible to be a physicist and an engineer at the same time, as long as you have the necessary education and training in both fields. However, it may require a considerable amount of dedication and effort to excel in both areas simultaneously.