Is Extending My Bachelor's Degree Worth It for a Master's in Computer Science?

In summary, The speaker is 25 years old and has completed 2 years of bachelor courses in Computer Science. They are now considering taking specific courses to complete their remaining year and obtain a general bachelor degree, which would allow them to pursue a master's degree in Computer Science and other fields. They are also interested in taking courses in microcontrollers and hardware, which would extend their bachelor's to 4 years. The speaker is unsure if it is worth spending an extra year at the bachelor's level or if they should jump directly to a master's. They are concerned about the time it would take to complete all courses and feel they may be too old for a prolonged period of studying. They also question the value of a general bachelor's degree
Pithikos
I am 25 years old and I have completed 2 years of bachelor courses where the majority is courses in Computer Science. Now I find myself in a situation where I can take specific courses for the 1 remaining year and get a general bachelor degree.

With this general bachelor degree I am able to take a master in Computer Science and some other fields.

The thing is that I am also interested in taking some courses into microcontrollers and hardware. That would mean that I have to extend my bachelor to 4 years(at least). Is it worth it? I can ofcourse still take a master after that but then it will have taken me 6 years of studying for everything.. and that in case I complete all courses per schedule.

What do you think? Is it worth to spend +1 year at bachelor level just taking courses you find interesting or should I just jump directly to a master? I am 25 years old at the moment and I feel a bit too old already for the prolonging of my studies.

Physics news on Phys.org
Is a "general" bachelor degree worth much? I would certainly be curious about such a thing on a technical resume. If you can indeed gain accelerated entry into your intended Masters program, then it might be worth it, but I generally expect a technical hire to have the depth of instruction that a technical Bachelors degree represents.

Since you said your intended Masters program is in computer science, a good code portfolio could make up for the name of your degree. I would be swayed by such evidence, but leery otherwise.

1. What is the difference between an extended bachelor's degree and a master's degree?

An extended bachelor's degree is a program that typically takes longer than the traditional four years to complete, often due to additional coursework or internships. A master's degree, on the other hand, is a graduate-level degree that typically takes one to two years to complete and requires a bachelor's degree as a prerequisite.

2. Is an extended bachelor's degree equivalent to a master's degree?

No, an extended bachelor's degree is not equivalent to a master's degree. While both degrees require a bachelor's degree as a prerequisite, a master's degree is a graduate-level program that delves deeper into a specific field of study and often requires a thesis or research project.

3. What are the advantages of pursuing an extended bachelor's degree over a master's degree?

An extended bachelor's degree allows for a more comprehensive understanding of a subject and can provide practical experience through internships or co-op opportunities. It may also be a more cost-effective option, as it typically takes less time and may not require additional tuition costs for a graduate program.

4. Can you pursue a master's degree after completing an extended bachelor's degree?

Yes, many students choose to pursue a master's degree after completing an extended bachelor's degree. In fact, some universities offer accelerated master's programs specifically designed for students who have completed an extended bachelor's degree in the same field.

5. Are there any fields of study where an extended bachelor's degree is preferred over a master's degree?

There are some fields, such as engineering, where an extended bachelor's degree may be preferred over a master's degree. This is because an extended bachelor's degree provides the necessary technical skills and hands-on experience for certain job positions, while a master's degree may be more focused on research and theory.