Nation of Tool Users? ( ex. Matlab)

• MATLAB
  • Thread starter rdg123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matlab
In summary: There is no need to stay in a situation where you are not happy.In summary, experience in a particular software tool and specialization are more important to employers than educational background.
rdg123
Sometimes I get the impression that employers want
a. Experience in a particular software tool AND
b. Specialization

and this trumps everything else other than work experience. It wasn't unsual for people with no formal educational background in Computer Science to land programming jobs if, for example, they had demonstrable skills in a language such as C++.

I ask if there is an analogous situation occurring in engineering with Matlab? It seems that even if you have a masters from a top 10 school, you still get the drilling in an interview that at least partly determines if you are a good fit. So what's the big deal about university if the country is looking for problem solvers utilizing software tools, and not interested in careerists.

Physics news on Phys.org
Engineering is such a broad field it is hard to generalize what everyone does.

I am an electrical engineer working in aerospace and have worked for two different companies. I would say I used Matlab on about 25% of the projects I have worked. Most of these involved using Matlab for modeling, algorithm prototyping, and simulation of everything from hydraulic systems to digital filters.

But I would also say I did more Matlab than most anyone at these companies, so that wasn't typical. Matlab experience wasn't a job requirement in either job I have held and I don't think either company has hired with Matlab experience as a must have.

Where I have seen the scenario you describe more is in mechanical engineering. One company I worked for used a 3D CAD software called Pro/Engineer which was required of most mechanical engineer hires because all of our models were in that format. Exceptions would be made for new graduates or someone with specific experience that was needed.

rdg123 said:
Sometimes I get the impression that employers want
a. Experience in a particular software tool AND
b. Specialization

and this trumps everything else other than work experience. It wasn't unsual for people with no formal educational background in Computer Science to land programming jobs if, for example, they had demonstrable skills in a language such as C++.

I ask if there is an analogous situation occurring in engineering with Matlab? It seems that even if you have a masters from a top 10 school, you still get the drilling in an interview that at least partly determines if you are a good fit. So what's the big deal about university if the country is looking for problem solvers utilizing software tools, and not interested in careerists.
From personal experience, I know some major engineering and technology firms are concerned about the lack of skills in programming. Proprietary methods are developed in C++ or Fortran (a lot of legacy code are written Fortran and some in C++), and it doesn't help if one only knows Matlab. While knowing Matlad is adequate in some cases, prospective employers are looking for someone who can program as well as understand the physics/engineering. Limiting one's programming to Matlab will restrict one's employment opportunities, and that could mean a loss of several $100K over a lifetime.

Physics and engineering have become highly specialized. Those physicists and engineers who are sufficiently diversified will have no shortage of job opportunities.

Many folks I know leave or retire from a full time job with a large company and either consult part-time or start their own company.

1. What is a "Nation of Tool Users"?

A "Nation of Tool Users" refers to a group of individuals or a society that heavily relies on tools and technology for survival, advancement, and daily tasks.

2. How did the concept of "Nation of Tool Users" originate?

The concept of "Nation of Tool Users" was first introduced by anthropologist Anthony J. Sinclair in the 1970s. It was based on his observations of how primates and early humans used tools for hunting, gathering, and other activities.

3. What are some examples of "Nations of Tool Users" in the animal kingdom?

Some examples of "Nations of Tool Users" among animals include chimpanzees, orangutans, and dolphins. These animals have been observed using tools for various purposes, such as cracking open nuts, digging for insects, and fishing.

4. How does the use of tools differentiate humans from other animals?

The use of tools is a defining characteristic of humans and sets us apart from other animals. Unlike animals, humans have the ability to create and manipulate tools to fit our specific needs and tasks, allowing us to survive and thrive in various environments.

5. What are some potential implications of being a "Nation of Tool Users" for humans?

Being a "Nation of Tool Users" has allowed humans to develop and advance technologically, leading to significant changes in our daily lives and societies. However, it has also raised ethical and environmental concerns, such as the impact of technology on the environment and potential misuse of tools for harmful purposes.