Feeling Lost as a Third Year Undergraduate - Advice Appreciated

• Thread starter justinla
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the challenges and doubts faced by a third year undergraduate student at a state university. The student has a good GPA in their major classes but struggles with required courses, and is now having trouble concentrating and seeing the purpose of their education. They express fear of being inadequate and uncertain about their future job prospects. Others share their own experiences and advise the student to stick it out and finish their degree, as it can make life easier in the long run.
justinla
I am currently a third year undergraduate at a state university. i have a GPA that is above a 3.0 and have done well in all my major classes (i am a computer engineer); the classes i have done poorly in were the required classes such as history.

being over a third of the way through this semester I am having trouble concentrating. i think i am lost and i would like the input of anyone that has felt this way before:

i can't seem to find a reason as to why what i am learning matters. my goal was to get my first 4.0 semester this fall, and i am far from it. i figure to get it i would have to spend something like 40 or 50 hours a week on top of my scheduled courses. do i not belong in an academic environment? i fail to see how putting the work in will help me be happy in the end. i am terrified that i am inadequate. for years now there has been nothing but headlines on how jobs in the USA are diminishing to say the least, so why would anyone hire me.

i don't know if it is just stress, or this feeling is a part of the person i am growing up to be.

any input would be appreciated.

ps: i know internships are important, but i haven't had any research experience or any experience outside of my course load. if anyone has advice on that i would greatly appreciate it

Physics news on Phys.org
I too felt lost and bewildered as I neared the end. For me, I simply hated school. It was really for the best for me to get out after my BS and look for a job, even though that took a long time. Not everyone does well in the college environment. You really should stick it out to the end. Having that degree makes life easier later, although it is no guarantee of employment.

Do not feel inadequate, perfection is not really key here. Finishing is.

1. Why do I feel lost as a third year undergraduate?

Feeling lost as a third year undergraduate is a common experience among many students. This is because the third year of college is often a time when students are expected to have a clear idea of their academic and career goals, and they may feel pressure to make important decisions about their future. Additionally, the workload and expectations of third year courses may be more challenging, causing students to feel overwhelmed and uncertain about their abilities.

2. How can I overcome the feeling of being lost as a third year undergraduate?

One of the best ways to overcome the feeling of being lost as a third year undergraduate is to seek support from your advisors, professors, and peers. These individuals can provide guidance and advice on your academic and career goals, as well as offer resources and support to help you navigate through your coursework. Additionally, taking the time to reflect on your interests and strengths can help you gain clarity on your goals and make informed decisions about your future.

3. Is it normal to change my major or career path in my third year of college?

Yes, it is completely normal to change your major or career path in your third year of college. Many students use their first two years of college to explore different subjects and interests, and it is common to change majors or career goals as you gain more experience and knowledge. It is important to remember that it is never too late to make changes and pursue your passions.

4. What resources are available to help me during my third year of college?

There are many resources available to help you during your third year of college. Your university likely has a career center, counseling center, and academic advisors who can provide support and guidance. Additionally, reaching out to professors and peers for help and forming study groups can also be beneficial. Don't be afraid to ask for help when you need it.

5. How can I stay motivated and focused during my third year of college?

Staying motivated and focused during your third year of college can be challenging, but it is important to remember your goals and the reasons why you chose your major or career path. Setting small, achievable goals for yourself can also help you stay motivated. Additionally, taking breaks and practicing self-care can prevent burnout and help you maintain your focus.