Smart magnets that connect either way?

• Thread starter Miranden
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Magnets
In summary: This is why the "smart magnets" are able to attach either way. With a flexible magnetic sheet, the poles are reversed in alternating stripes across the sheet.
Miranden
"Smart magnets" that connect either way?

Hi all. I was wondering about a particular kind of toy train that is sold to young children these days. I bought a few for my son for Christmas, and I am trying to figure out how they work. The train cars have magnetic connectors that can attach to the next car, but the thing is, they attach either way, even if you turn the cars around such that the polarity should be reversed. The manufacturer calls them "smart magnets."

Does anyone know how this is being done?

Here is a link to the product:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0006TNC0K/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

Ok. here i am giving you a pdf file. May be this is useful for you or not...

Attachments

• Smart_Magnet.pdf
    175.5 KB · Views: 662

As far as I understand the pdf, the electronics checks for nearby magnets, and decides which polarity the magnet needs based on the result.

I think I saw a different, mechanical system somewhere, where the magnets could rotate to get their relative orientation correct.

Hmm, the electronics seem like an awfully expensive way to get things to stick together. A magnet in a metal shell, such that the magnet can flip around in the shell, could probably work.

Khashishi said:
Hmm, the electronics seem like an awfully expensive way to get things to stick together. A magnet in a metal shell, such that the magnet can flip around in the shell, could probably work.

And, having seen (and bought) those trains for my grandson, a far more likely description of the magnets on those particular trains. I seriously doubt they have electronic circuit boards inside of them, nor electromagnets.

I have to remember to never buy my grandson an electric train. Adding on to the wooden train sets is addicting enough. I think there's only one more thing I want to buy for his - except there always seems to be only one more thing I want to add to it.

One option is that the magnets is magnetized perpendicular and horizontally to the connection, and opposite on front/rear of the train. No matter which way the cars are attached, the magnets will always have a N-S / S-N attraction, on each side (left, right) of the magnets. Very smart, but not excactly rocket science :-)

However, if my suggestion is correct, if you turn one car upside down, the magnets should repel.

Vidar

Low-Q said:
One option is that the magnets is magnetized perpendicular and horizontally to the connection, and opposite on front/rear of the train. No matter which way the cars are attached, the magnets will always have a N-S / S-N attraction, on each side (left, right) of the magnets. Very smart, but not excactly rocket science :-)
You can get this with any magnet orientation. The interesting thing is that those "smart magnets" attract in all combinations.

With just 3 wagons, here is an alternative solution:
NS--wagon--SN
SN--wagon--NS
iron--wagon--iron (not with a permanent magnetic field)

It might be possible to add wagons with vertical and horizontal magnets to get up to 7 different wagons, all attracting all other 6.
With magnetic axes rotated by 90°, the force is not strong, but there should be some attraction.

mfb said:
You can get this with any magnet orientation. The interesting thing is that those "smart magnets" attract in all combinations.

With just 3 wagons, here is an alternative solution:
NS--wagon--SN
SN--wagon--NS
iron--wagon--iron (not with a permanent magnetic field)

It might be possible to add wagons with vertical and horizontal magnets to get up to 7 different wagons, all attracting all other 6.
With magnetic axes rotated by 90°, the force is not strong, but there should be some attraction.
What I ment was, if you face the front or rear of the train, the magnetic orientation is always N to the left and S to the right. I assume you got that, but I just have to be sure ;-)
This orientation will also partially prevent the cars from tipping.

Vidar

Ah, now I understand. That is a good idea indeed.

Low-Q said:
What I ment was, if you face the front or rear of the train, the magnetic orientation is always N to the left and S to the right. I assume you got that, but I just have to be sure ;-)
This orientation will also partially prevent the cars from tipping.

Vidar

Are you certain of the polarity?

I know that flexible magnetic sheet, such as used for refrigerator magnets, have a "striped" polarity -- the poles are reversed in alternating stripes across the sheet. You can flip one around and they still attract, with only a small change in alignment.

What are smart magnets that connect either way?

Smart magnets that connect either way are a type of magnet that has the ability to connect to other magnets regardless of their polarity. This means that they can attract or repel other magnets, making them incredibly versatile for various applications.

How do smart magnets that connect either way work?

Smart magnets that connect either way work through a unique design that allows them to have both positive and negative poles on each side. This means that they can attract or repel other magnets regardless of their polarity, making them incredibly convenient and efficient to use.

What are the advantages of using smart magnets that connect either way?

The main advantage of using smart magnets that connect either way is their versatility. They can be used in a wide range of applications, from simple everyday tasks to more complex scientific experiments. Additionally, their ability to connect in any direction makes them more user-friendly and convenient to use.

What are some common uses for smart magnets that connect either way?

Smart magnets that connect either way have a wide range of applications, including in electronics, medical devices, and even toys. They can also be used in various industries, such as automotive and aerospace, for their strong and versatile magnetic properties.

Are there any safety precautions to consider when using smart magnets that connect either way?

Yes, it is important to handle smart magnets that connect either way with caution as they are very strong and can cause injury if mishandled. It is also important to keep them away from electronic devices, credit cards, and pacemakers as their strong magnetic fields can interfere with their functioning.