Efficiency of electrical heat vs. mechanical heating

In summary: An electric heater (electrical resistance) will heat the water up faster than a mechanical heater because the electric heater doesn't require any energy to sustain its motion.
Low-Q
Gold Member
I have a question about efficiency of electrical heating vs. mechanical heating.

Let me explain an example:

I have two containers with 1 litre of water each.
In one container I use a electric heater (electrical resistance) 1W.
In the other container I use an electric motor attached to a whisk where the motor use 1W to run the whisk.

Except for the efficiency of the electric motor: Which scenario will heat up the water to a given temperature first, given that the water in both initially is the same?

I ask because I assume that a electric heater (resistance) will radiate wavelength that is not absorbed by the water as well, while the mechanical work will cause friction in the water itself to be heated, and assume this is more efficient.

Any idea, or facts about this?

Vidar

Physics news on Phys.org
the vast majority of the mechanical work will be taken up by bulk motion of the fluid, not heat.

chill_factor said:
the vast majority of the mechanical work will be taken up by bulk motion of the fluid, not heat.
I understand that, but that motion is not loading the motor except for the period the fluid accelerates into that motion. This motion is kinetic energy that is conserved after acceleration, and do not require energy to sustain. However, the loss (friction) that wants to slow down the motion in the water require 1J/s. That is loss which will generate heat.
If this wasn't the case we put in energy that is not conserved (lost or destroied), and that is not possible. 1W from the whisk is required to fight friction - not to sustain motion.

Vidar

chill_factor said:
This isn't true: Low-Q is correct.

Once the fluid stops accelerating as it is being stirred -- which takes only a few seconds -- all of the energy goes toward combating friction and all goes toward generating heat.

The electric resistance heater (an immersion heater, right?) heats the water just fine because as an immersion heater, it heats due to conduction. So...

The immersion heater gets a little head start (a few seconds), then heats the water at the same rate as the stirrer, but the stirrer heats the water more evenly.

Yes, immersion heater is the right description. Thanks for the answer :-)

Vidar

well..u have already come to the conclusion..but i want to tell u from another perspective..
the energy conservation..both electrical appliances have same power requirement.if u study electrical heater..what ever the electrical energy is coming in is going out in the form of heat..from a resistance which is totaly surrounded by water(in conventional heaters) so loses are minimum..but in case of electrical motor..the loses are high..because there is a lot of friction in motors..in bearings,etc..due to which energy is lost ..so water will be heated more quickly by electrical heater.. thank you

1. How do you define efficiency in terms of electrical heat vs. mechanical heating?

Efficiency is defined as the ratio of output energy to input energy. In the case of electrical heat, this would be the amount of heat energy produced compared to the amount of electrical energy used. For mechanical heating, it would be the amount of heat energy produced compared to the amount of mechanical energy (such as fuel) used.

2. Which form of heating is more efficient - electrical or mechanical?

It depends on the specific situation and equipment being used. Generally, electrical heating is more efficient because there is less energy loss during conversion. However, mechanical heating can be more efficient in certain cases, such as using a high-efficiency furnace or boiler.

3. What factors affect the efficiency of electrical heat vs. mechanical heating?

The efficiency of both forms of heating can be affected by factors such as the type and condition of equipment being used, the cost of energy sources, and the climate or environment in which the heating is taking place. Proper maintenance and usage practices can also impact efficiency.

4. Can the efficiency of electrical heat or mechanical heating be improved?

Yes, there are various ways to improve the efficiency of both forms of heating. For electrical heat, using energy-efficient equipment and properly insulating buildings can help reduce energy loss. For mechanical heating, regular maintenance and upgrading to more efficient equipment can improve efficiency.

5. How does the efficiency of electrical heat vs. mechanical heating impact the environment?

Both forms of heating can have an impact on the environment. Electrical heating can result in less air pollution, as there are no emissions from the heating source. However, it relies on the use of electricity, which may be generated from non-renewable sources. Mechanical heating can produce emissions and contribute to pollution, but it can also use renewable energy sources such as biomass or solar power.