Suggestions on making my own conductive glass?

In summary, the conversation is centered around the topic of conductive glass and its potential use in a solar powered 3D printer. The speaker has been researching ITO glass, which is a transparent conductive oxide, but is considering making their own to save money. Another speaker clarifies that ITO is not actually a glass, but a crystalline substance that is used to make glass surfaces conductive. The conversation also touches on the use of amorphous alloys for conductive glass and the possibility of using ultrathin films of silver as an alternative.
DeeJayCruiser
Hi all, I have been researching conductive glass in my quest to create a solar powered 3D printer :) :).

So, I have contacted a few manufacturers in china who sell ITO glass, but it is still a little pricey, and I was wondering what the forums thoughts are on making my own ITO glass. I have seen a few videos that suggest using stannous chloride, but I wonder how effective it would be to do it from scratch?

Any suggestions??

Engineering news on Phys.org
Why would you need conductive glass for a 3D-printer with solar cells? Do you want to print the parts of the printer, too?

but it is still a little pricey
Conductivity+transparency together are very uncommon...

Making my own conductive glass is more of a learning process, I think it would be a really neat project, and I have time to kill since it's summer :)

Hi, ITO is not a glass but a crystalline substance., just one of the many representatives of the family of transparent conductive oxides (TCO). Indeed it is used for making a glass surface conductive, as in the case of solar cells and liquid crystal displays but this is still a glass with a crystalline substance on top of it, not a conductive glass. Examples of a conductive glass can be found among amorphous alloys.

Alkim said:
Hi, ITO is not a glass but a crystalline substance., just one of the many representatives of the family of transparent conductive oxides (TCO). Indeed it is used for making a glass surface conductive, as in the case of solar cells and liquid crystal displays but this is still a glass with a crystalline substance on top of it, not a conductive glass. Examples of a conductive glass can be found among amorphous alloys.

Hey Alkim, thank you for the clarification. However..i'm still confused.

So iridium tin oxide is a substance, and it can be put on top of a regular piece of glass and coat it so that it becomes conductive (is that correct??)

However...what you are saying is that actually conductive glass is made of an amorphous alloy (which it seems i will have to google for more info :)

Am I correct?

Hi DeeJayCruiser,

That's right, indium-tin oxide, i.e. In2O3:Sn or ITO is a crystalline substance which is transparent and conductive so that it is used to make transparent electrodes by coating normal glass. Some other transparent conductive oxides are SnO2:F (FTO), ZnO:Al (AZO) and ZnO:Ga (GZO).
Metalic glasses are a completely different thing. They are just amorphous metal alloys, which conduct electricty but they are not transparent to visible light.
I guess that what you refer to as "conductive glass" is just ITO-coated glass.

The easiest way to make conductive and transparent cover on the glass is to cover with ultrathin film of silver

1. What materials do I need to make conductive glass?

To make conductive glass, you will need a glass substrate, a conductive material such as indium tin oxide (ITO) or graphene, a conductive adhesive, and a source of heat such as a furnace or hot plate.

2. How do I apply the conductive material onto the glass?

The conductive material can be applied onto the glass substrate through different methods such as sputtering, chemical vapor deposition, or screen printing. Each method has its own advantages and limitations, so it is important to research and choose the most suitable method for your specific needs.

3. Can I make my own conductive glass at home?

Making conductive glass requires specialized equipment and expertise, so it is not recommended to attempt it at home. It is best to seek out a professional or a specialized company that can produce conductive glass for your specific application.

4. What are the advantages of using conductive glass?

Conductive glass has many advantages, such as its transparency, flexibility, and durability. It is commonly used in electronic devices, solar cells, touchscreens, and other applications that require a transparent and conductive material.

5. How can I improve the conductivity of my conductive glass?

To improve the conductivity of your conductive glass, you can increase the thickness of the conductive material, optimize the deposition process, or add multiple layers of conductive material. It is also important to choose a high-quality conductive material and ensure proper adhesion to the glass substrate.