Chlorinated hydrocarbons

• Thread starter Soaring Crane
  • Start date
In summary, compared to chlorinated hydrocarbons, organophosphates are less persistent and are more biologically magnified. Chlorinated hydrocarbons are biologically magnified and are not likely to be target specific.
Soaring Crane
1) Compared to chlorinated hydrocarbons, organophosphates are ___ persistent and are ___ biologically magnified.

A. less...less
B. less...more
C. more...less
D. more...more
E. equally...equally

I believe it's B. (Well, the first part is "less.")

2) Chlorinated hydrocarbons are

A. biologically magnified.
B. likely to be target specific.
C. degraded faster than other organic pesticides.
D. more toxic than organic pesticides.
E. None of the above

I want to say A as the correct one. Is it right?

Thanks.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Wait, now that I think about it, is #1 A?

You might also want to ask this in the biology forum, I'll do some research if I have the time.

Soaring Crane said:
1) Compared to chlorinated hydrocarbons, organophosphates are ___ persistent and are ___ biologically magnified.

A. less...less
B. less...more
C. more...less
D. more...more
E. equally...equally

I believe it's B. (Well, the first part is "less.")

Yes, you got it right in your reply, the answer would be "A". Since the chlorinated hydrocarbon pesticides (this should be added since there are numerous chlorinated hydrocarbons that are not pesticides) are not as readily biotransformed or broken down as the organophosphates, it logically follows that they will last longer in a biological system and therefore have more potential for biomagnification.

Soaring Crane said:
2) Chlorinated hydrocarbons are

A. biologically magnified.
B. likely to be target specific.
C. degraded faster than other organic pesticides.
D. more toxic than organic pesticides.
E. None of the above

I want to say A as the correct one. Is it right?

Thanks.

I agree with "A", but let's break this one down and see if any others fit. "B" does not work since it has been shown that numerous non-pest species including fish, birds and mammals are affected by chlorinated hydrocarbon pesticides. "C" we resolved above. "D" doesn't make sense since they are in fact "organic pesticides", perhaps the question is referring to pesticides derived from natural sources such as pyrethroids from Chrysanthemum sp. , but that is not apparent. "E" is wrong since we already know that they are definitely biomagnified ("A").

1. What are chlorinated hydrocarbons?

Chlorinated hydrocarbons are a class of organic compounds that contain carbon, hydrogen, and chlorine atoms. They are typically used as solvents, pesticides, and industrial chemicals.

2. How are chlorinated hydrocarbons harmful to the environment?

Chlorinated hydrocarbons can persist in the environment for a long time and can be toxic to plants, animals, and humans. They can also accumulate in the food chain, leading to harmful effects on organisms.

3. What are some common examples of chlorinated hydrocarbons?

Some common examples of chlorinated hydrocarbons include polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs), dichlorodiphenyltrichloroethane (DDT), and trichloroethylene (TCE). These compounds are often used as pesticides and industrial solvents.

4. How do chlorinated hydrocarbons impact human health?

Exposure to chlorinated hydrocarbons can have negative health effects, such as skin irritation, respiratory problems, and damage to the liver and nervous system. Long-term exposure to high levels of these chemicals can also increase the risk of certain cancers.

5. Can chlorinated hydrocarbons be safely disposed of?

Yes, chlorinated hydrocarbons can be safely disposed of through various methods, such as incineration, chemical treatment, and bioremediation. However, it is important to carefully follow disposal guidelines to prevent further harm to the environment.