Polymer low permeability for balls

In summary, there are a variety of polymers and coatings that may be suitable for use in your ball to protect against corrosive fluids and maintain air pressure. It is important to carefully consider the properties of each material before making a decision.
yobacan
I have 2 interesting questions, I believe, regarding polymer properties. I am designing a ball (pretty much like a basketball in size and appearance) to be used inside pressure vessels for certain corrosive fluids. The ball is inflated with air to a certain pressure in order to cushion extreme pressures in the pipeline (water-hammer). These balls will expand and contract according to pressure drops or pressure rises in water, respectively.

1) First question: These balls be in contact with certain corrosive fluids (under pressure) so I am looking for any or many polymers to be used as the external layer of the ball, so that it does not suffer from exposion to these special corrosive fluids. I have chemical properties of some of them, but I first ask this for any general corrosive fluid, not one in specific.

2) Second question: So far, I have been using polybutadiene as external polymer in the ball and butyl rubber as internal layer, but I believe there could be better choices in terms of lower permeability, as long as the other options can also be moulded and used as the external layer in a ball, for a reasonable cost (i.e, commercial polymers). The idea is to find also a polymer that can hold for a longer time the air inside the ball.

Regards

Felipe

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
1) For the first question, there are several polymers that may be suitable for use as the external layer of your ball. These include polyethylene, polypropylene, polyurethane, fluorinated ethylene-propylene (FEP), and polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE). Each of these polymers have different chemical and mechanical properties which will affect their suitability for your application. Additionally, a range of coatings can be applied to these polymers to further improve their resistance to corrosive fluids. 2) For the second question, there are several possible options for a polymer with low permeability which could be used as the external layer of your ball. Examples of these include FEP, PTFE, and other fluoropolymers. Additionally, some proprietary blends of elastomers, such as EPDM or Viton, can offer good barrier properties against air and fluids. As with the previous question, each of these materials has different mechanical and chemical properties which will affect their suitability for your application. It is important to consider all of these factors when selecting the most appropriate material for your ball.

What is a polymer low permeability for balls?

A polymer low permeability for balls refers to a type of material used to make balls that have a low permeability, meaning they are less likely to absorb liquids or gases.

What are the advantages of using a polymer low permeability for balls?

Using a polymer low permeability for balls can provide several advantages, such as increased durability, resistance to scratches and punctures, and improved performance in various conditions.

What makes a polymer low permeability for balls different from other materials?

A polymer low permeability for balls is specifically designed to have a low permeability, meaning it has a tightly packed molecular structure that prevents liquids or gases from passing through it. This sets it apart from other materials that may have higher permeability levels.

What types of balls can be made with a polymer low permeability?

A polymer low permeability can be used to make a variety of balls, including sports balls such as basketballs, soccer balls, and tennis balls, as well as industrial balls used in valves and pumps.

Is a polymer low permeability for balls safe for use?

Yes, a polymer low permeability for balls is considered safe for use. It is non-toxic and does not release harmful chemicals, making it suitable for use in both consumer and industrial applications.