What Are the Effects of Taking Glutamine in Excess While Working Out?

• Thread starter JasonRox
  • Start date
In summary, Creatine is a steroid and it shrinks certain things. Creatine is a steroid and it shrinks certain things. If you want to mention any other supplements, besides steroids or similar products, I'd like to hear about it even though I doubt I would use it.
JasonRox
Homework Helper
Gold Member
I am working out at the moment, and I use to work out quite heavily and benched press well over my weight.

At the moment, I can still bench press well over my weight. I weigh in at 153lbs and I can bench 180lbs as my max. This is not as high as it used to be, where I weighed in at 157lbs and benched press about 225lbs.

I have experienced Creatine before, and yes it does work. If you would like to talk about Creatine, then go ahead. If you go on about how Creatine is a steroid or that it shrinks certain things, I'll be happy to ignore it.

I am more interested in knowing about Glutamine and it's effects. I know this is a protein, but what about if you take more than the average consumption. What gains are there? Yes, there are gains, so don't tell there isn't any. Sure there are risks, but gains do come with it.

If you would like to mention any other supplements, besides steroids or similar products, I'd like to hear about it even though I doubt I would use it.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Creatine is a steroid and it shrinks certain things.

Smurf said:
Creatine is a steroid and it shrinks certain things.

Yeah, your girlfriend told me about it. I heard that's why she dumped you. Unfortunately, your girlfriend is ass ugly so she crawled back for the very little that she can get.

Anti-senescence and creatine supplementation

Smurf said:
Creatine is a steroid
Then life extensionists might not be using it. Yet...
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/sci.life-extension/search?group=sci.life-extension&q=creatine

...returns 132 hits. Wiki says:

--
Creatine [...] is a naturally occurring amino acid that helps to supply energy to muscle cells.
--

The Life Extension Foundation (LEF) http://search.lef.org/src-cgi-bin/MsmGo.exe?grab_id=15&EXTRA_ARG=&CFGNAME=MssFind%2Ecfg&host_id=42&page_id=1310720&query=creatine&hiword=creatine+ :

--
What is creatine? In a nutshell, creatine helps the body generate energy. Adenosine triphosphate (ATP), formed in the mitochondria, is often referred to as the body’s “universal energy molecule.” When ATP loses a high-energy phosphate molecule to become adenosine diphosphate (ADP), it must be converted back to ATP before it can be used again to produce energy. Creatine, stored in the body as creatine phosphate, can donate a phosphate group to ADP, thus recharging it to energy-producing ATP.
--

Last edited by a moderator:
Glutamine supplementation for muscle building

JasonRox said:
Glutamine [...] What gains are there?
You might want to check pubmed.
www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?CMD=search&DB=pubmed&term=glutamine+body+composition

Based on what I have read there, I think glutamine might not do anything for muscle mass. I have been using it on and off for years to help control my blood sugar and to help me think more clearly. Sci.life-extension would be a good place to discuss it:
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/sci.life-extension

Whey protein already contains a lot of glutamine, so if you want to save some money, just up your whey intake and buy your whey in bulk. You can buy unflavored whey in large sacks (30lb., 50lb.) on the internet for about $3/pound. Just add your own stevia, etc., for flavor and you're set.

JasonRox said:
Yeah, your girlfriend told me about it. I heard that's why she dumped you. Unfortunately, your girlfriend is ass ugly so she crawled back for the very little that she can get.
Where is Danger? Cause smurf just got flamed! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

hitssquad said:
You might want to check pubmed.
www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?CMD=search&DB=pubmed&term=glutamine+body+composition

Based on what I have read there, I think glutamine might not do anything for muscle mass. I have been using it on and off for years to help control my blood sugar and to help me think more clearly. Sci.life-extension would be a good place to discuss it:
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/sci.life-extension

Whey protein already contains a lot of glutamine, so if you want to save some money, just up your whey intake and buy your whey in bulk. You can buy unflavored whey in large sacks (30lb., 50lb.) on the internet for about $3/pound. Just add your own stevia, etc., for flavor and you're set.

Yeah, it makes sense to control blood sugar. I heard that it helps with the sugar craving too.

And, yes you are right, Whey Protein already contains a lot of Glutamine. I was just wondering because I was told that the majority of your muscles need Glutamine the most. Therefore, taking more should be more beneficial. Another scoop of Whey can be, but then you are wasting everything else in it.

Glutamine does taste pretty awful, so I don't know if I can stick it out.

Note: It's probably the worst tasting thing on this planet.

Jason,

Here's a quick ref on glutamine - http://www.wholehealthmd.com/refshelf/substances_view/1,1525,10030,00.html

I just resumed a more serious weight training program, and I am currently researching protein powders. A friend recommended Myoplex, which does contain glutamine, but it is balanced with other amino acids. One also needs to check ingredients if one has food allergies.

EAS - Myoplex Deluxe or Original Powders.
http://www.eas.com/products/index.asp

Nutrition Articles at EAS - http://www.eas.com/nutrition/articles.asp?cmsId=527

Bodybuilding.com - http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/eas/myoplex.html

Description: Myoplex Deluxe 36pk by EAS - http://www.advantagesupplements.com/easmyde36nfo.html

New Formula!

Designed with the serious athlete in mind, newly reformulated Myoplex Deluxe offers a powerful supply of ingredients to help maximize muscle gain and increase recovery potential. Perfect for post-workout use or as a convenient and nutritious meal replacement, Myoplex Deluxe provides:

* 53g three-stage precision release protein complex to support lean mass gains
* Over 12g glutamine, glutamine peptides, and glutamic acid to aid in muscle recovery and repair
* 1g CLA to help optimize fat loss
* Whole grain carbohydrate sources to allow for stable energy levels

Each serving of 1 packet contains: Calories 340 Calories from Fat 40 Total Fat 4.5 g Sugars 5 g Saturated Fat 2.5 g Cholesterol 40 mg Total Carbohydrates 28 g Sodium 310 mg Potassium 550 mg Dietary Fiber 7 g Protein 53 g Selenium 24 mcg Biotin 150 mcg Vitamin A 1750 IU Thiamin 0.75 mg Niacin 10 mg Phosphorus 480 mg Molybdenum 52 mcg Pantothenic Acid 5 mg Chromium 96 mcg Riboflavin 1 mg Vitamin B12 4.2 mcg Vitamin E 30 IU Iodine 75 mcg Copper 1 mcg Magnesium 300 mg Vitamin B6 1 mg Vitamin C 30 mg Calcium 630 mg Zinc 7.5 mg Folate 200 mcg Manganese 2 mg Iron 9.6 mg CLA (Conjugated Linoleic Acid) 1 g

Ingredients: MyoPro® II 3-stage precision release protein complex (micro- and ultra-filtered whey protein isolate, whey protein concentrate, micellar casein, hydrolyzed whey protein isolate, L-glutamine, glutamine peptides [from hydrolyzed wheat gluten]), whole grain sustained release carbohydrate blend (rice oligodextrins, oat bran, fiber, clarified brown rice syrup solids), natural and artificial flavor, conjugated linoleic acid from safflower oil (CLA), medium chain triglycerides (MCT), vitamin and mineral blend (monopotassium phosphate, magnesium oxide, salt, choline bitartrate, dipotassium phosphate, betacarotene, potassium citrate, ascorbic acid, alpha-tocopheryl acetate, ferrous fumarate, boron proteinate (rice, soy), manganese gluconate, selenium amino acid chelate, niacinamide, magnesium phosphate, zinc oxide, calcium pantothenate, chromium citrate, copper sulfate, molybdenum amino acid chelate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, riboflavin, thiamin hydrochloride, Vitamin A palmitate, folic acid, biotin, potassium iodide, cyanocobalamin), xantham gum, cellulose gum, soy lecithin and sucralose.

Recommended Use: For a rich, creamy shake, combine the contents of each packet with 16oz of cold water or skim milk and thoroughly mix in a blender or shaker for 45 seconds. For a thicker or thinner consistency simply adjust the amount of water to taste. For best results use 2-3 servings daily.

As for creatine - a good source of information (I never used it - see below)

http://www.mdausa.org/research/creatine.html

http://www.mdausa.org/news/010201creatineupdate.html

http://www.althealth.co.uk/services/info/sport/creatine1.php

===================

Here is a good discussion of "weight training", as opposed to body-building.

http://exercise.about.com/cs/exerciseworkouts/a/weight101.htm

===================

I did weight training, in addition to working heavy labor (iron work) in my early 20s. At my peak, I benchpressed 275-300 lbs (125-136 kgs), and did military press of 240 lbs (110 kgs), both with bar in front of chest and behind head during resting. However, my muscles were not bulky - my weight was only 175-180 lbs (79-82 kgs) - and I could touch my finger and hands to the shoulders (same side and across). Here it is important to stretch.

Also, I ran long distance (at least 3 miles (5 km) each day - four or five days a week), rode a bicycle, and stretched all muscle groups. I occasionally played soccer.

As for supplements, I used a protein power supplement (can't remember which) that had a balance of amino acids. I made a milk shake - milk, vanilla or chocolate ice cream, baby formula (e.g. Similac), and protein powder. I never used creatine, and I certainly did not take steroids.

Baby Formula - Similac Advance, Similac 2 Advance, Similac Isomil - read ingredients.

If at all possible, swimming is a great low impact exercise for the arms, chest, legs and abdomen. In addition, the arms get full range of motion with crawl and backstroke.

====================

Also, take care of your joints, especially hip, knee and shoulder. As one gets older, injury or damage to these joints can be problematic. Once you get much beyond 40 yrs of age, healing takes much longer.

There are some who recommend "glucosamine and chondroitin sulfate" for joints. I still have to research these.

Muscle up? Shouldn't you be in a chat room flexing?

I haven't read the above links yet, but if you're interested in body building, it would seem to me you'd want a balance of amino acids, since muscle is built up from proteins composed of all the amino acids. A few of them are considered "essential" amino acids, which are those that your body is unable to build itself, so are required in our diet. I'd have to refresh my memory if glutamine is one of those. I don't know if there's any advantage to using individual amino acids as supplements rather than obtaining them from dietary sources of complete proteins. As with anything that is healthy in moderate amounts, just be careful about possible harmful effects at high doses (I don't know if any exist, but for almost everything, too much can be harmful).

One quick reference I found (I don't have access to the full article, so can only share the abstract):
J Strength Cond Res. 2003 Nov;17(4):810-6.

Effects of effervescent creatine, ribose, and glutamine supplementation on muscular strength, muscular endurance, and body composition.

Falk DJ, Heelan KA, Thyfault JP, Koch AJ.

Department of Exercise and Sport Sciences, College of Health and Human Performance, University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida 32611, USA.

The purpose of this study was to examine the effects of a combination of effervescent creatine, ribose, and glutamine on muscular strength (MS), muscular endurance (ME) and body composition (BC) in resistance-trained men. Subjects were 28 men (age: 22.3 +/- 1.7 years; weight: 85.8 +/- 12.1 kg; height: 1.8 +/- 0.1 m) who had 2 or more years of resistance-training experience. A double blind, randomized trial was completed involving supplementation or placebo control and a progressive resistance-training program for 8 weeks. Dependent measures were assessed at baseline and after 8 weeks of resistance training. Both groups significantly improved MS and ME while the supplement group significantly increased body weight and fat-free mass. Control decreased body fat and increased fat-free mass. This study demonstrated that the supplement group did not enhance MS, ME, or BC significantly more than control after an 8-week resistance-training program.

Publication Types:
Clinical Trial
Randomized Controlled Trial

PMID: 14636104 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Oh, and no, creatine is not a steroid.

Astronuc that is great help.

Yeah, me and my brother remain lightweights. I'm pretty happy with my brothers accomplishment of doing 3 reps of 205lbs, while weighing in at 143lbs.

I should look more into it, but apparently Glutamine plays a large role in building the muscle mass. So, in this case it might be suitable for taking extra Glutamine because you're body is demanding it. A balanced source is great, but maybe not for targeting muscle growth. That's what I'm looking at.

I'm just about to start my Strength Training (Powerlifting) tomorrow. I was doing a warm up/beginner schedule for the past month, so it's a good time to start. Creatine starts next week, and I hope to keep things all good. Thursday is now my official eat almost anything day, except for fast food of course. :)

Every week I'll try and improve my diet, which is really good as it is, but can better.

I just need a spotter... who KNOWS how to spot. :)

Thanks a lot for everything. I'll keep you updated on before and afters throughout my month of Creatine.

I'd shy away from "body building", and focus on "weight training" or "strength training" - there's a big difference.

If one is using creatine, then I would recommend consultation with a doctor, and probably a "sports" doctor who is familiar with the use of supplements.

While not a steroid (it is a protein), use of creatine or any supplement in excess must be processed by the body, which stresses organs like the kidneys and possibly the liver.

See also - http://www.absolute-creatine.com/

Creatine is a compound that can be made in our bodies or taken as a dietary supplement. The chemical name for Creatine is methyl guanidine-acetic acid. That sure is a mouth full - which is why it is much easier to just call it creatine. Creatine is made up of three amino acids - Arginine, Glycine and Methionine. Our liver has the ability to combine these three amino acids and make creatine. The other way we get creatine is from our diet.
Seems OK.

Creatine has been shown to pull water into your muscle cells, which increases the size of your muscles.

and

It is believed that 95 - 98% of the creatine in our body is stored in our muscles. The remaining about 2- 5% is stored in various other parts of the body including the brain, heart and testes.
Based on potential effects in the brain, heart and testes, please be careful. Also, stay well hydrated.

Like I said, I never used creatine and I was able to build considerable strength without bulk.

Also, have you found any instructions or recommendations on optimal time of taking creatine or other supplements? Basically this means that the substances are available when actually needed, otherwise the excess is simply excreted.

Yes, the optimal time is 1 hour, on empty stomach, before a workout. During off days, you can take it whenever.

Basically this means that the substances are available when actually needed, otherwise the excess is simply excreted.

Now it makes sense to take it shortly before a workout. Believe or not, you can tell Creatine is working. It's not a matter of it being subtle because you can tell. Also, you do Creatine in cycles and not just take it all the time, like I said May is Creatine month. After that, I'll be off for like another month... and I'm not quite sure if I will do another cycle. Also, no kidney or liver damage was found yet for the use of Creatine. They have looked into users who have been on Creatine from 8 months to 4 years... where I don't even plan on doing Creatine that long. The funny part is... I remember that website. I'm going to check it to see if it even changed at all in the past 3 years.

I'm also aware of staying hydrated. I drink plenty of water (I piss clear :) ), and I don't intend to lose weight or maintain weight during the cycle. It is best to let your body just gain weight on Creatine.

I don't know where this website got how Creatine pulls water into the muscles because I never noticed a size difference... at all. I'm pretty positive that water only plays a role in converting ADP into ATP.

Also, the recommended amount is 5 grams, but I had the intentions to take 4 grams, for sure during off days.

Here is a good website to check:

http://www.betterbodz.com/library/creatine.html

For example, for every 100 lbs. of body weight the athlete should supplement about 15 grams of Creatine for the first six days. It is probably best to split the total dosage into four separate portions taken through out the day. After six days, only 1 1/2 grams per hundred pounds of body weight is necessary to maintain enhanced performance.

Now, I'm remembering more. I never really did the whole take "more" Creatine at the beginning when I was working out 3 years ago. It's amazing how much you can forget. I give this a try for the first week, but I'm only going to do 7-8 grams, which is half of what they are asking for. Two does would make, 3-4 grams.

Creatine DOES SIGNIFICANTLY improve short duration, high intensity types of exercise such as weightlifting and gym type workouts. The research also clearly proves that both peak power and total power outputs are enhanced after Creatine supplementation. This means that it is useful for both power lifters and bodybuilders.

So... it's going to work for exactly what I want it to.

There are no negative side effects. Creatine can bind water to the muscle giving an athlete a more muscular appearance. Competitive bodybuilder should drop Creatine supplementation one to two weeks prior to a show to insure maximum definition and vascularity.

I guess water is involved. My measurements throughout the month should recognize this change. It'd be interesting to see how much growth there would be. I'd say no more than 1/10th of an inch in the arms.

I'll be reading some more.

Thanks again. :biggrin:

On Glutamine...

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/glutamine2.htm

Glutamine is the most abundant single amino acid found in the bloodstream, which comprises 61% of the free intracellular amino acid pool [most abundant amino acid in muscle tissue].

Just what I knew and thought. It is the main amino acid or protein of the body.

Glutamine's unique structure, containing two nitrogen side chains, consists of 19% nitrogen - making it the primary transporter of nitrogen into the muscle cells.

Interesting.

In the past couple years, Glutamine has gained importance through new studies revealing its unique contribution to protein synthesis [muscle growth], anti-catabolic [prevents muscle tissue] breakdown functions and growth hormone elevating effects. Due to these effects, Glutamine plays an important part in your body by aiding recovery of muscle cells[12].

I was aware of this, but didn't take it too seriously. This is why it is good with Creatine. You are breaking down muscle tissue because you are lifting more weight, but with the help of Glutamine you prevent this.

As glutamine travels through the body, the enterocytes of the small intestines are the largest consumers of glutamine accounting for about 40-50% of glutamine consumption. Also, glutamine is required for the synthesis of nucleotides. Thus, a sufficient supply of glutamine is particularly important for rapidly dividing cells such as the enterocytes and the immune cells. Therefore, the synthesis of glutamine may be insufficient to meet the physiological demand during times of severe, metabolic stress when the amount of free glutamine is rapidly depleted [3]. Therefore, it may be beneficial for people, who continuously place themselves in infectious areas or commonly get sick, to supplement with glutamine to aid virus/bacteria fighting cells.

I was also pretty aware of this. I remember reading that doctors recommended/required HIV positive patients to take Glutamine.

It is recommended to take at least 5 grams 30 minutes before and after you train and another 5 grams before bed.

I was thinking of just increasing my Glutamine intake by 2-3 grams twice a day. I guess to stick with my plans I will take 2 grams before, 2 grams after, and 2 grams before bed. I may move up to 3 grams after the 1st week.

Another website...

http://www.nutriline.org/glutamine.htm

Glutamine is considered a "conditionally essential amino acid" because it can be manufactured in the body, but under extreme physical stress (such as training with weights 3-4 times each week) the demand for glutamine exceeds the body's ability to make it.

Taking it would help your body keep up with demand.

For maximum results, most experts recommend the use of 5-10 grams of glutamine daily, in one or two divided doses throughout the day.

Hmm... I guess 2-3 grams twice a day, remains my best and safest option.

For those interested in working out, this should be a thread to keep an eye on.

I may even take the time to post my routine, or put it on Excel or something. Taking notice that my goal is Powerlifting. I plan on doing Endurance/Strength Training near the end of summer.

Jason, from what I came across on cursory searches, the danger with creatine is in overdosing. It can strain the kidneys, and there have been a few cases where deaths have been directly related to improper use of creatine. I will second Astronuc's advice to consult a physician if you're going to use supplements (actually, you should anyway if you're going to be doing a lot of heavy lifting; make sure you aren't injuring yourself or putting your cardiovascular health in danger, or that there's some previously undiagnosed condition you have that might put you at higher risk for problems). They can help monitor you for signs of any liver or kidney damage so you'll know to stop before it becomes dangerous. While it sounds like amino acid supplements can generally be used safely, being monitored by a physician will ensure you're not that statistic of one in whatever number who has a problem.

It's not clear from what you've quoted already that creatine is really doing anything for strength, just "puffing up" your muscle cells to make them look bigger; so it would be good for body builders that want to look bulky, but may not be helpful in powerlifting where strength is the key.

Most of the studies I came across on the use of glutamine weren't in healthy adults, but in preventing muscle loss in the elderly or bedridden people, or those who had other metabolic disorders. So, while it seems to be helpful to those who are ill and in danger of losing muscle, there seems to be far fewer published studies on whether it really benefits a healthy adult.

Moonbear said:
It's not clear from what you've quoted already that creatine is really doing anything for strength, just "puffing up" your muscle cells to make them look bigger; so it would be good for body builders that want to look bulky, but may not be helpful in powerlifting where strength is the key.

I am aware that will not help at all. The access to more ATP will help. Just about everyone I know who used Creatine properly and train seriously (not a social gym user) noticed that if they used to do...

6 reps of 180lbs

On Creatine you would probably squeeze in extra reps...

8-9 reps of 180lbs

This allows you to increase weight... to let's say 185lbs so you can do 6 reps again. This means more muscle breakdown is induced... more muscle breakdown = more muscle recovery = getting stronger. Glutamine prevents muscle breakdown, which means it can be considered a compliment to Creatine.

For seeing a Physician thing, well I probably should, but believe it or not I got a Cardiovascular check in November/December. They did that whole machine reading on it, checked blood pressure and heartbeat. Everything turned out fine. I had a pain located near my heart, which turned out to be soreness because I was lifting a really heavy school bag around school on one shoulder all day. It was good news to here everything is great.

So I know my heart is in good shape. My liver or kidney... I have no idea. I have to assume not being a big drinker (nor a regular drinker) or heavy fast food eater, that everything is good.

Note: I'm 21 years old.

Yes, overdosing is bad, which is why I decided to stay below recommended use. Something I did before as well and benefits came around as well. I heard about death related things with Creatine, but if I remember correctly... they are largely caused by people trying to lose weight while on Creatine. That is in itself the worst combination imaginable. It may also happen to those who think they will get bigger on Creatine without working out, which means that NO Creatine is being used... therefore the kidney and liver must absorb all of it. Also, a bad combination. Not a lot of water is another bad combination.

I'll think about the whole Physician thing. Something I wouldn't have considered before unless something didn't seem right.

Last edited:
Those who plan on working out or have questions or what not, a good website to check out is:

forum.bodybuilding.com

Same format as PF. :)

Smi2le carries glutamine now. $12 for 400 grams, and free shipping on $50+ orders.
http://smi2le.biz/

That is cheaper than iHerb, which was the previous cheapest place I knew of to get glutamine.
http://www.iherb.com/lglutamine1.html

This might be useful for general nutrition, physical activity or exercise and injury.

FamilyDoctor.org

On Family Doctor

http://familydoctor.org/healthy.xml

http://familydoctor.org/288.xml

http://familydoctor.org/x5216.xml
The Basics
Sports Safety
Injuries and Illnesses

========================

In addition to staying hydrated, watch the sodium/potassium balance, so sports drinks like Gatorade are useful rather than just water.

========================

Watch the joints, particular shoulder and knees. These will take the great stresses during certain lifts. The elbow joint and hip joint, usually take less stress, but nevertheless, be careful.

I know I need to watch out for the joints.

I have experienced bad shoulder and wrist joints in the past.

How can I reduce the risk of that happening again? My muscles certainly grow faster than my joints.

I know what I'm doing for the wrist joints. I will have straps and wraps around my wrists during heavy lifts that require much of the wrist (curls). As well as light workouts on the wrist to increase the strength of wrists.

Note: I have heard of supplements that help. I didn't look into that yet.

Just out of interest does anyone know of a food that you can put on bread that would end up being around 15 g of protein?
That's including the bread which I think is 3 grams or something can't really remember.
Something that's easy to make and doesn't taste like crap would be good :)

Throw 3 teaspoons of Peanut Butter... that should do it.

Regarding joints and injuries, the rotator cuff is one area that you need to watch. If found the following sites useful with regard to information on shoulder and tendons, particularly rotator cuff.

http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/fact/thr_report.cfm?Thread_ID=127&topcategory=Shoulder

http://www.scoi.com/cuffdise.htm

http://www.jointhealing.com/pages/shoulder/rotatorcuff.html

http://orthopedics.about.com/cs/rotatorcuff/a/rotatorcuff.htm

I am going to check out some supplements (protein powder and vitamins) soon, but several people recommend glucosamine and chondroitin, which I mentioned earlier.

http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/fact/thr_report.cfm?Thread_ID=219&topcategory=Knee

I have never done behind the neck workouts ever since I've heard that Ronnie Coleman and other bodybuilders got serious injuries from it. Obviously, I don't do anything that doesn't feel right.

I'm now going to reduce overheard activity. Since I read that it can cause injury. Anything heavy, is a no.

Note: My shoulder press does not consist of a lot of weight. I use lighter weights with more repetitions.

Last edited:
Well, overhead work certainly depends on weight and how one does it.

Alot of the occupational injuries involve 1) people who do not do strength training, and 2) static or repetitive loading. I kind of hosed my left shoulder a while back, and it is still bothering me a little - one reason I have to get back to proper strength training.

Back in pre-historic times (when I was your age, Jason), the military press with a barbell was a basic component. I did a maximum of about 240 lbs, but I routinely did reps with 180 or 200 lbs. I did front and back (behind head) alternatively. I also used to toss the 180 into the air as high as possible and then catch it. :biggrin: One needs sure footing.

The other part of that history was that I was doing ironwork (construction) and that required a lot of strength, and essentially 10 hrs of heavy work out each day 5-6 days a week. My weight easily fluctuated 5-6 lbs (2-3 kgs) in a 12 hr period - a lot of sweating in 100-110°F (38-43°C) with humidity of about 70-80% (Texas Gulf Coast). The iron was even hotter - 120-130°F (49-54°C). Boy do I miss those days. :biggrin: I got the best tans (dark brown) during those years. :cool:

I have to admit Astronuc, your among the greatest helpers I've met online.

I have another question you might know the answer to. I guess I'm too lazy to search for it, but I guess it doesn't hurt to ask... because I don't mind being asked myself.

Why are flax seeds and fish oils essential to a healthy diet?

I eat pretty healthy as it is. Once my diet is fully set out, I will post it so you relatively see what I eat. I love fruits and vegetables, so to me my diet is a tasty one. :P

Note: My diet is kind of a work in progress or transition. I already have a rough sketch right now, which I'm following quite well right now.

Thanks for the complement, but it's just that I was where you are now about 25+ years ago. :biggrin: I had a reasonably good diet, I did strength-training and sports, and worked hard. The result is that I am pretty good shape, and my body has been pretty resilient.

Anyway,

You might find these of use -

http://www.foodpyramid.gov/ (The US government is redoing the food pyramid - what is needed for good nutrition - and they are adding exercise and physical activity. This is new. I just heard about it today.)

http://www.cdc.gov/nccdphp/dnpa/bmi/bmi-adult.htm (the BMI can be misleading, because athletes with extra-muscle can have the same BMI as someone who is obese). Interestingly, I heard a doctor talking about 'over-muscled' people, who could have health problems as a result. It was mentioned on a radio program locally, so I am going to look into this.

As for fish oils, the news has been about the beneficial effects of omega-3 (or n-3) fatty acids on cardiovascular disease ( http://circ.ahajournals.org/cgi/content/full/106/21/2747 )

As for flax seed, it seems to be one of the main sources of [itex]\alpha[/itex]-Linolenic acid, which may protect against cardiovascular disease, i.e. its beneficial like fish oil. According to the American Heart Association's journal "Circulation", the largest food sources of [itex]\alpha[/itex]-linolenic acid are vegetable oils, such as flax seed oil, soybean oil, and canola oil.

Keep eating whole grains, fruit and vegetables. The natural vitamins and minerals are important, but so are the natural complex carbohydrates, sugars, and dietary fiber.

Essential fatty acids and lignans

JasonRox said:
Why are flax seeds and fish oils essential to a healthy diet?
Humans do not have an enzyme that can desaturate the omega-3 location on oils, and omega-3 oils are necessary for human life. Fish oil contains the 5-times (EPA) and 6-times (DHA) poly-unsaturated omega-3 oils necessary for human life. Flax-seed derived omega-3 oil (alpha-linolenic acid) is only 3-times unsaturated and do not directly satisfy the human need for EPA and DHA. However, the human body has enzymes that can convert alpha-linolenic acid to EPA and DHA.

Since these conversion porcesses are limited, some people prefer to supplement with EPA and DHA instead of with flax seed or flax seed oil.

More about essential fatty acids is explained here:
http://www.lef.org/magazine/mag2003/dec2003_report_omega_01.htm

There are other things in flax seed besides the oils. Many people supplement with flax seeds or high-lignan flax seed oil in order to get lignans, which are types of fiber that have special properties. Those people think they are healthy, but other people purposely avoid lignans because lignans are estrogenic and they think dietary estrogens should be avoided.

So what would I do to get my flax seed oil or fish oil? Do I just take a shot of it?

When I post my diet, I will inform you about all the nutrition I get.

Note: I know about the food pyramid thing, it's on my fridge. :tongue2:

What are the effects of taking glutamine in excess while working out?

Taking glutamine in excess while working out can have both positive and negative effects on the body. Some of the most frequently reported effects include increased muscle growth, improved athletic performance, and faster recovery time. However, excessive intake of glutamine can also lead to gastrointestinal issues, dehydration, and impaired kidney function.

How much glutamine is considered excessive for working out?

The recommended daily intake of glutamine for adults is between 5-10 grams. However, for individuals who are engaging in intense workouts, the recommended dosage can be increased to 10-15 grams. Anything above this amount can be considered excessive and may lead to negative side effects.

Can taking glutamine in excess lead to weight gain?

While glutamine is often marketed as a supplement for weight loss, taking it in excess can actually lead to weight gain. This is because glutamine is converted into glucose in the body, which can then be stored as fat if not used for energy. Additionally, excessive intake of glutamine can also cause water retention, leading to temporary weight gain.

Are there any long-term effects of taking glutamine in excess?

There is limited research on the long-term effects of taking glutamine in excess. However, some studies have shown that excessive intake of glutamine can lead to an imbalance of amino acids in the body, which can have negative effects on overall health. It is important to consult with a healthcare professional before taking glutamine in excess for an extended period of time.

How can I safely incorporate glutamine into my workout routine?

To safely incorporate glutamine into your workout routine, it is important to follow the recommended dosage and not exceed the recommended daily intake. Additionally, it is important to stay hydrated and maintain a balanced diet to avoid any potential negative side effects. Consult with a healthcare professional before adding any supplements to your workout routine.