Maximal ideal (x,y) - and then primary ideal (x,y)^n

• Thread starter Math Amateur
  • Start date
Now look at k[x,y]/(x,y)^n. This is the same as (k[x,y]/(x,y))/(x,y)^{n-1}. But we saw that (x,y) is maximal, hence (k[x,y]/(x,y)) is a field. But then (x,y)^{n-1} is maximal in k[x,y]/(x,y), so by the same logic as before, (x,y)^n is maximal in k[x,y].Hence (x,y)^n is prime. But then by the correspondence theorem, (x,y)^n is primary in k[x,y]. Hence the ideal (x,y)^n is primary in k
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
Example (2) on page 682 of Dummit and Foote reads as follows: (see attached)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(2) For any field k, the ideal (x) in k[x,y] is primary since it is a prime ideal.

For any [itex] n \ge 1 [/itex], the ideal [itex] (x,y)^n [/itex] is primary

since it is a power of the maximal ideal (x,y)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My first problem with this example is as follows:

How can we demonstrate the the ideal (x,y) in k[x,y] is maximal?
Then my second problem with the example is as follows:

How do we rigorously demonstrate that the ideal [itex] (x,y)^n [/itex] is primary.

D&F say that this is because it is the power of a maximal ideal - but where have they developed that theorem/result?

The closest result they have to that is the following part of Proposition 19 (top of page 682 - see attachment)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposition 19. Let R be a commutative ring with 1

... ...

(5) Suppose M is a maximal ideal and Q is an ideal with [itex] M^n \subseteq Q \subseteq M [/itex]

for some [itex] n \ge 1[/itex].

Then Q is a primary ideal with rad Q = M

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now if my suspicions are correct and Proposition 19 is being used, then can someone explain (preferably demonstrate formally and rigorously)

how part (5) of 19 demonstrates that the ideal [itex] (x,y)^n [/itex] is primary on the basis of being a power of a maximal ideal.

Would appreciate some help

Peter

Attachments

• Page 682 - D&F - 12th Nov 2013.pdf
    73.5 KB · Views: 308
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I have been doing some reflecting and reading around the two issues/problems mentioned in my post above.

First problem/issue was as follows:

"My first problem with this example is as follows:

How can we demonstrate the the ideal (x,y) in k[x,y] is maximal"

In the excellent book "Ideals, Varieties and Algorithms: An Introduction to Computational Algebraic Geometry and Commutative Algebra" by David Cox, John Little and Donal O'Shea we find the following theorem (and its proof) on pages 201-202.

Proposition 9. If k is any field, an ideal [itex] I \subseteq k[x_1, x_2, ... ... , x_n] [/itex] of the form

[itex] I = (x_1 - a_1, x_2 - a_2, ... ... x_n - a_n) [/itex] where [itex] a_1, a_2, ... ... , a_n \in k [/itex]

is maximal.

Now (x, y) is of the form mentioned in Cox et al Proposition 9 since [itex (x,y) = (x-0, y-0) [/itex] and so by Cox et al Proposition 9, (x,y) is maximal

Can someone confirm that this is correct.

Now reflecting on my second problem/issue.

Peter

For the first issue, the thing you read in Cox is correct. But you can easily see it directly as follows. The idea is to calculate ##k[X,Y]/(X,Y)##. You can do this by using the first isomorphism theorem and the function

[tex]\Phi:k[X,Y]\rightarrow k: P(X,Y)\rightarrow P(0,0)[/tex]

Thus you see that ##k[X,Y]/(X,Y)## is a field and thus ##(X,Y)## is maximal.

For the second issue, just use the theorem you found with ##Q=M^n## and ##M=(X,Y)##.

Likes 1 person
Thanks r136a1, most helpful

Will now check out the use of the First Isomorphism Theorem

Peter

if you take any polynomial in x,y, and set equal to zero every term with an x or a y in it, you have left only the constant term. Thus modding out k[x,y] by the ideal (x,y) leaves you with just the constant field. thus (x,y) is maximal.

1. What is a maximal ideal?

A maximal ideal is an ideal in a ring that is not contained in any larger ideal, except for the entire ring itself.

2. How do you determine if (x,y) is a maximal ideal?

In a polynomial ring, a maximal ideal is generated by a single irreducible polynomial. So, to determine if (x,y) is a maximal ideal, you would need to check if (x,y) is generated by an irreducible polynomial.

3. What is the significance of (x,y) being a maximal ideal?

Maximal ideals play an important role in algebraic geometry and commutative algebra. They are used to define the algebraic variety associated with a given ideal and can also be used to define prime ideals.

4. What is a primary ideal?

A primary ideal is a generalization of a prime ideal. It is an ideal in a ring where any zero-divisors are contained in the ideal. In other words, if a product of two elements in the ring is in the ideal, then at least one of the elements is in the ideal.

5. How does the primary ideal (x,y)^n differ from the maximal ideal (x,y)?

The primary ideal (x,y)^n is the ideal generated by all monomials of the form x^ay^b where a+b ≥ n. This means that the primary ideal contains more elements than the maximal ideal, and is therefore a larger ideal. Additionally, the primary ideal has the property that any zero-divisors in the ring are contained in the ideal, whereas the maximal ideal does not necessarily have this property.