Maximizing Your Sound System: Understanding FFT and Low Frequencies"

In summary: If you are using electronically sourced tones then why not feed them directly (electrically) into your analyser? That will eliminate all the ambient noises. When you have checked your system out this way then, by all means, use a microphone to listen to 'real instruments'.
ok sorry about the last pic:
mytestgraph2.jpg

now as for the setting of the Microphone there are not auto gain that I can see:
setting.png

listening.png

is there any other place I should look?
also do you know what Microphone Array does ?
wiki say's is it a "Systems for extracting voice input from ambient noise (notably telephones, speech recognition systems, hearing aids)"... and that is what I am trying to do..

Engineering news on Phys.org
There must be some level control somewhere - that could still be your problem.
I have no idea about the "microphone array" but you could google PC Sound Control Microphone array.
I know the Apple user interface is very simple but limited (that's what I'm used to) but some of the Windows panels are total gobbledegook to me. I suggest you try the 'Levels', 'Configure', 'Properties' and you must find an audio input level adjust.
What software package is taking the sound into record it? Is there not a control there? The point is that the levels just don't seem to make sense. The noise seems to be higher on 'silent' than with the 1kHz - which implies some expanding is happening. Did you listen to the recording (on headphones or your friend's HI Fi) - you will need loads of Bass because the high level shash on your graph is all at 40Hz and below.

Your problem is that you are trying to do something sensible with some 'toy' kit for listening fun. Home stuff always falls short, one way or another. You just have to battle it out.

BTW, Microphone Arrays are used for directionality (as with radio antenna arrays). You have only one mike so I don't think that's relevant. I have two mikes on my deaf aids and one switch position claims to reduce sounds from behind. It uses a phase shift between them. It does work sometimes but never very well. Is that a tick I can see on the Mic Array setting on the control panel? I don't think that should be selected for serious stuff.

ok i did not see any

Attachments

• newpic.jpg
    newpic.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 409
Last edited:
I refer to the picture of the control panel in Post 36.