Proof of the nontrivial expression

In summary, the conversation focuses on finding a proof for the validity of the inequation concerning the sum of squared variables and the sum of paired products. The conversation also discusses approaches to proofs and suggests trying induction and assuming the converse. Eventually, the speaker discovers a pattern and is able to prove the inequation for all n with the given assumptions.
sludger13
I'm looking for a proof of a validity of the inequation:
[itex](n-1)\sum_{i=1}^{n}x_{i}^{2}\neq 2\sum_{i=1,j=1,j<i}^{n}x_{i}x_{j}[/itex]

Assumptions:
[itex]n\geq 2[/itex]

[itex]\exists (i,j),x_{i}\neq x_{j}[/itex]
[itex]i=1,...,n[/itex]
[itex]j=1,...,n[/itex]

I have no idea how to prove those non-trivial expressions.

Physics news on Phys.org
Start by playing around with the expression ... i.e. try it for n=2 and n=3 and see if you can spot a pattern.

There are lots of approaches to proofs that you know.
i.e. induction, assume the converse, and so on.
Have you tried any?

It is very common that there is no obvious way to proceed but you have to have a go anyway.

I started expanding the expression for (n=2,3,4), but it's getting a little chaotic ... I haven't found any pattern so far.
When I try the induction for (n=2) higher, I receive another expression possibly hiding some pattern.

[itex]n=2[/itex]:
[itex]x_{1}^{2}+x_{2}^{2}\neq 2x_{1}x_{2}[/itex][itex]n=3[/itex]:
[itex]2x_{1}^{2}+2x_{2}^{2}+2x_{3}^{2}\neq 2x_{1}x_{2}+2x_{1}x_{3}+2x_{2}x_{3}[/itex][itex]n=4[/itex]:
[itex]3x_{1}^{2}+3x_{2}^{2}+3x_{3}^{2}+3x_{4}^{2}\neq 2x_{1}x_{2}+2x_{1}x_{3}+2x_{1}x_{4}+2x_{2}x_{3}+2x_{2}x_{4}+2x_{3}x_{4}[/itex]

And the in-equation IS VALID - it is the proof of ONE stationary point existence for the function of two variables (for entered assumptions) obtained by the method of least squares. It is easy to imagine that the overall difference of measured values and line values is always minimal for some line directive. I just want to learn to prove it mathematically.

Last edited:
So try to prove the converse. Turn the inequality into an equality - then find the condition that must exist t make the equality work. Since you know the statement is true, the condition will contradict at least one of the assumptions.

Solved out. It wasn't so difficult to find the pattern:
[itex]\sum_{i=1,j=1,j<i}^{n}(x_{i}-x_{j})^{2}\neq0[/itex]
That is always valid for the given assumptions.

Thank you for your help :)

Yeah, that what it looks like to me -
Well done :)

1. What is "proof of the nontrivial expression"?

"Proof of the nontrivial expression" refers to a mathematical or logical argument that demonstrates the validity or existence of a nontrivial expression. A nontrivial expression is one that is not immediately obvious or easily derived from other known expressions.

2. How is the proof of a nontrivial expression different from a regular proof?

The main difference between a proof of a nontrivial expression and a regular proof is the level of complexity and difficulty. A regular proof typically involves showing the validity of a simple or well-known expression, while a proof of a nontrivial expression requires more advanced techniques and may involve solving a complex problem or demonstrating the existence of a new concept.

3. What are some common techniques used to prove nontrivial expressions?

Some common techniques used to prove nontrivial expressions include induction, contradiction, and direct proof. These methods involve logical reasoning and mathematical principles to demonstrate the validity or existence of a nontrivial expression.

4. Why is proof of the nontrivial expression important in the field of science?

Proof of the nontrivial expression is important in science because it allows us to validate new theories, concepts, and discoveries. It also helps us to better understand the natural world and make predictions about future observations or experiments.

5. Can proof of the nontrivial expression ever be considered absolute?

No, proof of the nontrivial expression can never be considered absolute. While a proof may provide strong evidence for the validity or existence of a nontrivial expression, it is always possible for new evidence or counterexamples to emerge that may challenge or modify the original proof.