Getting Symbols in Mathematica: An Introduction

• Mathematica
  • Thread starter amcavoy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mathematica
In summary, to display input as symbols in Mathematica, you can use the Basic Input palette and fill in the desired symbol or expression in the pop-up window that appears. This can be helpful for writing papers or homework assignments in Mathematica.
amcavoy
I have just started to use Mathematica, and was wondering how I can get the input to come up as symbols rather than just the command. For instance, when I integrate something:

http://img398.imageshack.us/img398/9180/mathematica5tl.jpg

How can I get the input to come up as:

[tex]\int{\frac{1}{1+x^4}}dx[/tex]

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
apmcavoy said:
I have just started to use Mathematica, and was wondering how I can get the input to come up as symbols rather than just the command. For instance, when I integrate something:

Thanks in advance.

if you are typing it out at the time you do it you must use the commands. you have no way to type out an expression in symbolism for your input. AFAIK.

Alright, well is there a way to write up a paper (homework for instance) in Mathematica?

apmcavoy said:
Alright, well is there a way to write up a paper (homework for instance) in Mathematica?

I recommend that you use LaTeX. It is much easier to write papers in, and especially so for math.

go get MikTex if you are on windows, and then go to http://www.toolscenter.org/front_content.php to get the editor you need.

all the latex documentation you need is available in the built in help system in texniccenter.

Ok thank you for your help.

Would using basicinput.nb and basictypesetting.nb help you in this matter? You would get a bit better presentability.

How do I use those?

You can choose them to be displayed from File->Palettes. Meant to help working in symbolic notation.

apmcavoy said:

Thanks in advance.

Choose Files, Palettes, Basic Input. A menu will pop up with the standard symbols. For your integral. Choose the integral. It will pop-up where the cursor is with boxes for input. Tab to those boxes and fill in the input. You should routinely run Mathematica with this pop-up window on the side so you can easily format equations in standard form.

1. What is Mathematica?

Mathematica is a computational software program used for scientific, engineering, and mathematical calculations. It is also commonly used for data analysis, visualization, and programming.

2. How do I get symbols in Mathematica?

To get symbols in Mathematica, you can use the keyboard shortcut "Esc" followed by the name of the symbol you want to insert. You can also use the Insert menu or type the symbol's name using the keyboard and then press the "Tab" key to convert it to a symbol.

3. Can I create my own symbols in Mathematica?

Yes, you can create your own symbols in Mathematica using the built-in function "Symbol". This function allows you to define a symbol with a specific name and attributes, and use it in your calculations and programming.

4. How do I use symbols in mathematical equations?

Symbols can be used in mathematical equations in Mathematica just like any other variable. You can assign values to symbols, perform operations with them, and use them in equations and functions.

5. Are there any resources available to learn more about symbols in Mathematica?

Yes, there are many resources available to learn more about symbols in Mathematica. The official Mathematica documentation provides comprehensive information about symbols and their usage. You can also find tutorials, videos, and online courses that cover the topic in depth.