How can I solve inequalities with a TI-89?

In summary, the TI-89 is a graphing calculator used in math and science courses that can solve and graph complex equations, including inequalities. To graph an inequality, enter it as a function in the Y= menu and press GRAPH. It can also solve systems of inequalities by using the "Solve System of Equations" option in the MATH menu. To find the intersection points of two inequalities, use the "Intersect" feature in the CALC menu. The TI-89 can also solve inequalities with variables in the exponent by using the "Solve" function in the MATH menu.
TSN79
I've got a TI-89, with which I'm trying to solve an inequality. Not a specific one, just in general. I try to use the 'solve' command just as for equations but with an inequal-sign instead, but it doesn't work. Anyone?

Computer science news on Phys.org
But places where the sides are equal separate places where they are "<" from places where they are ">". If you don't have too many solutions to the equation, check one point between two solutions to see if that region gives ">" or "<".

To solve inequalities with a TI-89, you can use the "solve" command with the "inequal" option. This can be accessed by pressing the "F2" button and then selecting "inequal" from the menu. From there, you can enter the inequality in the format "expression1 < expression2" or "expression1 > expression2" and the calculator will solve for the variable in the inequality. Keep in mind that the TI-89 does not graph inequalities, so you may need to use the "table" feature to see the solution set. Additionally, make sure to use parentheses around any expressions to avoid any errors.

1. What is the TI-89 calculator and how does it help with inequalities?

The TI-89 is a graphing calculator commonly used in math and science courses. It allows users to solve and graph complex equations, including inequalities, which are expressions that use greater than (>) or less than (<) symbols to compare two values.

2. How can I graph an inequality on the TI-89?

To graph an inequality on the TI-89, go to the Y= menu and enter the inequality as a function. Use the appropriate inequality symbol (< or >) for the Y= equation. Then, press the GRAPH button to see the graph on the calculator screen.

3. Can the TI-89 solve systems of inequalities?

Yes, the TI-89 can solve systems of inequalities, which are multiple inequalities with multiple variables. To solve a system of inequalities, go to the MATH menu and select the option for "Solve System of Equations." Then, enter the inequalities as functions and the calculator will show the solution set.

4. How do I find the intersection points of two inequalities on the TI-89?

The intersection points of two inequalities can be found by graphing both inequalities on the TI-89 and using the "Intersect" feature. To do this, go to the CALC menu and select "Intersect." Then, use the arrow keys to move the cursor to the point of intersection and press ENTER to see the coordinates.

5. Can the TI-89 solve inequalities with variables in the exponent?

Yes, the TI-89 can solve inequalities with variables in the exponent. Use the "Solve" function in the MATH menu and enter the inequality as a function with the variable in the exponent. The calculator will show the solution set, or if there is no solution, it will state "False."