Can Quadratics Help Solve Inequalities?

In summary, someone please help me. I'm currently taking Pre-calculus and I'm having trouble solving inequalities .
brainygirl
I need help on solving inequalities? Someone please help me. I 'm currently taking Pre-calculus. :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org

[tex]x^2+2x-1\geq0[/tex]
?

equations like the one implied ,

Ok,
This is the way described through my math teachers, although it is not exactly the method I use now.
[tex]x^2+2x-3\geq[/tex]
First, solve the problem as if it were a normal equality.
[tex]x^2+2x-3=0[/tex]
and you get
[tex]x_1=1 x_2=-3[/tex]
Now, write down all sets of numbers between those.
[tex](-\infty,-3]
[-3,1]
[1,\infty)[/tex]
Now set up a table like so
...set...|||||||||||sample point|||||||||||(x-1)|||||||||||(x+3)|||||||||||+ or - ?
[tex](-\infty,-3][/tex]...|||||||||||...-4...|||||||||||..-..|||||||||||..-..|||||||||||...+...
[tex][-3,1][/tex]...|||||||||||...0...|||||||||||..-..|||||||||||..+..|||||||||||...-...
[tex][1,\infty)[/tex]...|||||||||||...2...|||||||||||..+..|||||||||||..+..|||||||||||...+...

Now, since it was greater than or equal to, you know it has to be greater than zero, therefore the positive ones are the ones you want.

Therefore, the two sets [tex](-\infty,-3][/tex] and [tex][1,\infty)[/tex] work.Now, you know that your answer is [tex](-\infty,-3]\cup[1,\infty)[/tex]now, try to solve this one on your own

[tex]x^2-5x+6\geq0[/tex]

Last edited:
You can do the familiar algebraic manipulation with inequalities, provided you remember to reverse the direction of the inequality whenever you multiply (or divide) by a negative quantity and practice simple logic. So by the example above,
[tex]x^2+2x-3 \geq 0[/tex]
[tex](x-1)(x+3) \geq 0[/tex]
Now, if [itex]ab \geq 0[/itex], either ([itex]a \geq 0[/itex] and [itex]b \geq 0[/itex]) or ([itex]a \leq 0[/itex] and [itex]b \leq 0[/itex]) as you should easily justify. Let's evaluate the first set:
[itex]x-1 \geq 0[/itex] and [itex]x+3 \geq 0[/itex]
implies that
[itex]x \geq 1[/itex] and [itex]x \geq -3[/itex]
which is the set [itex]\{x: x \geq 1\}[/itex]. Remember that x must satisfy both inequalities when using "and".
The second set evaluates to [itex]\{x: x \leq -3\}[/itex], so we have the set [itex]\{x: x \geq 1[/itex] or [itex]x \leq -3\}[/itex], or written another way [itex]\{x: x \geq 1\} \cup \{x: x \leq -3\}[/itex].
This is just the purely algebraic way. Choose whichever way you feel most comfortable with. :smile:

Last edited:
My favorite word: VISUALIZE.

For generic inequality
[tex]f(x) > g(x)[/tex]:
[tex]h(x) = f(x) - g(x)[/tex].
Find the intervals where a graph [tex]y=h(x)[/tex] is above the x-axis (you'll have to find/estimate the roots of the [tex]y=h(x)[/tex] and points where [tex]h(x)[/tex] is undetermined).

Try
[tex]\frac{x+2}{x}\leq \frac{1}{2-x}[/tex]
Could you post your answer?

Last edited:
gosh, that looks confusing!

i was just taught to regard the inequality as a quadratic, make it equal to 0, draw the graph and solve it from there.

that may be what ^^ was saying though...

1. What is the purpose of solving inequalities?

The purpose of solving inequalities is to find the values of a variable that make the inequality true. This allows us to determine the range of possible solutions for a given problem.

2. How do you solve inequalities?

To solve inequalities, we use the same rules and properties as solving equations. The main difference is that when we multiply or divide by a negative number, the direction of the inequality sign must be flipped.

3. What are the different types of inequalities?

There are three main types of inequalities: linear, quadratic, and rational. Linear inequalities involve only one variable and have a degree of 1. Quadratic inequalities involve a squared variable and have a degree of 2. Rational inequalities involve fractions with variables in the numerator or denominator.

4. How do you graph inequalities?

To graph an inequality, we first plot the boundary line using the equal sign. Then, depending on whether the inequality is less than or greater than, we shade the region below or above the line. If the inequality includes or excludes the boundary line, we use a solid or dashed line, respectively.

5. What are some real-life applications of solving inequalities?

Solving inequalities can be applied in various fields such as finance, engineering, and social sciences. Some examples include determining the minimum and maximum production levels for a company, finding the range of possible values for variables in an engineering problem, and analyzing income inequality in a population.